Need a camera

Theodore

I gotta move
under 300-400ish new or used
compact/pockety
mostly for outdoors/landscapes but probably some architecture and art

I mostly want to avoid, if possible, this over exposed sky/under exposed ground type of thing when it's really cloudy or sunny

tumblr_ny9ed4zbUf1qd2yqto1_500.jpg

I hate that.

I'd also like to take night shots that don't look like dog shit but I don't know anything about that.

Last edited:
I bought a Canon EOS 40D (prosumer) body and a decent lens (1.8 50mm) for less than $300. It's not the newest, most whiz-bang digital camera, but it has enough exposure and other flexibility that I can get exactly the shot I want. It's also nice and solid -- with lots of metal -- unlike the consumer-series EOS models. For night shots, get a tripod. My wife's camera (EOS Rebel T4i or T5i) has a nighttime shooting mode that takes multiple exposures and stitches them together -- it's one of the few things mine doesn't that I wish it did...

Last edited:
Any camera is going to struggle to get a good exposure in a semi-backlit situation like your example. Better cameras will give you the tools to overcome that, but it will take some manipulation on your part.

I grew up using 35mm Nikon Fs and F2s shooting black and white, so I think I approach digital photography a lot differently than most folks. I rarely use autofocus or the program mode, preferring to at least choose my aperture. I still think in a B+W mode (Zone photography "expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights") and this has served me pretty well so far...

Any camera is going to struggle to get a good exposure in a semi-backlit situation like your example. Better cameras will give you the tools to overcome that, but it will take some manipulation on your part.

I knew somebody was going to say that. :embarrassed:

I'm fine with doing a bunch of post-processing, but with the old point and shoot I have now it's hopeless.

Any decent DSLR should be able to do a lot. You'll get more out of a good photography class regardless of the camera. I've never taken one but I want to.

Get cheap camera.

Take picture.

Edit picture with Sepia that any free software can do.

Tell everyone you are a photographer on FB.

I'll second the RAW option. Raw keeps a WHOLE lot more dynamic range than jpeg (12 or 14 bits versus 8)

third on the RAW.
i shoot in the RAW + jpeg mode, that way i can pre-screen the pics in windows viewer and delete what turned out crap and then focus on the good ones in the RAW editor. that mode eats up more memory in the cam, but i have several 16 gig cards and several batterys.....so no prob.

If you're not looking to get into heavy editing look for a camera that has built-in HDR.

not a fan of DSLR's really...too many options...too much thinking...less is more I like the compactablitly of a Point and shoot "rangefinder" type. I got a Panasonic Lumix ZS 40 and it's in your price range now. Great for traveling (so you don't have to look all touristy) AND you can stick it in your front pocket and even hike with it in yer pocket, it's water resistant, zoom lens and I think it's like 24 mm digital which is like 35 mm equivilant, might be slightly less , like 33 or something.
The best part is you have a viewfinder like a DSLR so in the bright sun you can see and/or it just gives you a different perspective for taking pics than your standard LCD screen view....has RAW option too but if you're looking at pics online on a website I don't know if you're gonna gain a whole lot UNLESS you do do lots of post production work then it'd probably pay off....maybe, but again depending on the screen you're viewing your digital phot on etc....diminishing returns possible.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmczs40

also.....filters are your friend and generally they're not all that expensive. specifically, circular polarizer filter and neutral density filters.
they can help with the burned out sky. but they also make colors pop and when you do have a reasonably clear sky, make it sapphire in color.
this pic had NO adjusting in a program other than a little contrast. i used a polarizer and a #6 neutral density filter on the cam.

8110442892_90deee598e_c.jpg

All the major camera companies make something that will suit your needs. If you like landscape and architecture, make sure you get a camera with a 24mm or equivalent lens.

All the major camera companies make something that will suit your needs. If you like landscape and architecture, make sure you get a camera with a 24mm or equivalent lens.

i think the best idea is to get a cam that can have multiple lenses. you get what you get in a kit lens, but when you get the skills together, you should be able to upgrade the lens to what style of photograph you find you like .

I bought a Canon G11 for my Wife. Turns out to be one of my all time favorite cameras. It can function as a point and shoot camera and takes wonderful photos. It also takes great video.
It's small enough that you can take it with you and keep it around your neck. Look for one on the used market for half price or less.
51yxYiIsa6L.jpg

Back