Need 12" speaker recs (and other mods)

I really don't know the science behind it, I was just speculating.
If I'm not mistaken the difference in a 100W vs. a 50W amp is something like 6db of volume( don't quote me on that) but if that's the case I wouldn't think 4db is that significant. But like I said I'm just speculating....I'm sure somebody has a more concrete answer

You have already gone the route of self-discovery, but...
  • Doubling output wattage gives +3db, you get 3db...if you go from 5 watts to 10 watts, you get 3db; if you go from 50 watts to 100 watts, you still get 3 db
  • Doubling the number of speakers gives +3db...if you go from 1x12 to 2x12 you get 3db; if you go from half stack to full stakc, you still get 3 db (this assume s all the same speaker)
So getting an additional 3db out of the speaker efficiency his equivalent to either doubling the amps wattage or doubling the number of speakers. It's significant.

Hard to get loud, light and affordable.

I would recommend the EPS-12C, but it's 4-ohm only (pedal steel speakers tend to be).

How about the Tonkerlite?

The new frontrunners are the Jensen Jet Tornado and the Celestion Neo Creamback. I'll also look out for a regular Creamback. Apparently the aforementioned Warehouse ET-65 still has a bit of a mid-scoop, and that's what I'm trying to avoid in this amp while also avoiding a 10 pound speaker. Regular G12m Greenbacks and their derivatives break up earlier than I would like, though I do remember really liking @Mark Wein 's Greenback loaded SFDR.

Hard to get loud, light and affordable.

I would recommend the EPS-12C, but it's 4-ohm only (pedal steel speakers tend to be).

How about the Tonkerlite?

I was looking at the Tonkerlite but telling the difference between it and the Lil Texas is difficult.

You have already gone the route of self-discovery, but...
  • Doubling output wattage gives +3db, you get 3db...if you go from 5 watts to 10 watts, you get 3db; if you go from 50 watts to 100 watts, you still get 3 db
  • Doubling the number of speakers gives +3db...if you go from 1x12 to 2x12 you get 3db; if you go from half stack to full stakc, you still get 3 db (this assume s all the same speaker)
So getting an additional 3db out of the speaker efficiency his equivalent to either doubling the amps wattage or doubling the number of speakers. It's significant.
Yup...I read that too

The new frontrunners are the Jensen Jet Tornado and the Celestion Neo Creamback. I'll also look out for a regular Creamback. Apparently the aforementioned Warehouse ET-65 still has a bit of a mid-scoop, and that's what I'm trying to avoid in this amp while also avoiding a 10 pound speaker. Regular G12m Greenbacks and their derivatives break up earlier than I would like, though I do remember really liking @Mark Wein 's Greenback loaded SFDR.
I'm either using greenbacks or a Creamback in my Badger 30 for more headroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been extremely pleased with the Celestion G12 Century Vintage. Almost indistinguishable from the Mesa Vintage 30 I had in it before except for when I pick it up. :helper:

I've been extremely pleased with the Celestion G12 Century Vintage. Almost indistinguishable from the Mesa Vintage 30 I had in it before except for when I pick it up. :helper:

Celestion has replaced the Century Vintage with the Neo Creamback. It's a more neutral speaker. I don't think a V30 would pair particularly well with a Silverface Fender.

I played through one of these yesterday at a jam. It was awesome but I got drowned out by the guy next to me with his Music Man RD 112. I had to use my AC booster to hear myself for solos. I could have just volume knobbed the whole set and it would have sounded great. This one is owned by @hasserl who I'm sure modded it a bit but it was great.

20170701_173632_resized.jpg

I played through one of these yesterday at a jam. It was awesome but I got drowned out by the guy next to me with his Music Man RD 112. I had to use my AC booster to hear myself for solos. I could have just volume knobbed the whole set and it would have sounded great. This one is owned by @hasserl who I'm sure modded it a bit but it was great.

View attachment 34705

I never did the mods, but it's been a great amp. :thu:

Back