NCLVAD (Part 3 of SW GF Trilogy)

CBHScott

How did I get here?
Needed an amp. Was going to go with an inexpensive SS or modeler.

Not happy with the new Fender Mustang GTs - seems like while they added a bunch of new Line 6-ish features, they sacrificed actual TONE, which was the main selling point of the previous Mustang series. The new Spiders sound like ass on a stick. The Boss Katanas sound fantastic (I briefly had the K50), but I wanted something small that I could travel with, while still being able to play at home without a large footprint. The standard "mini" amps (Roland MicroCube, Blackstar ID Core crap, Yamaha THR10) are cool, but still kinda sound...mini.

I have had my eye on this since Winter NAMM, and after Bollinger's and Anderton's reviews, I went out and played one myself, and was hooked. Decided to wait until GF to get the set at a discount:

IMG_1419.JPG

Oh, MAN! :love: - the NuTube technology, which is also the basis for the BluGuitar preamp/amp, works beautifully. The AC tone is there in spades, while the head is smaller than a Quilter Mini 101. I can put the head in a gig bag pocket and throw it in my car on my work road trips :cool:. The matching 8-inch cab sounds fuller than it should, although of course, the amp sounds better through a larger speaker. So cute!

I had tried both this head and the "Clean" version at GF, and was really agonizing over which one I wanted to get, because the tone of the Clean is really good as well - nice Fender Blackface all the way up. I can always get that head later, though :idea:.

Cool. I have wanted to try those out in person to see how they feel. You are giving me gear envy this morning. Now I've got to find your other purchase thread to see if you went 3 for 3 :grin:

You know there is a new Boss Katana Mini, didn't you?

stirthepot

Anyways, HNAD!!!

:P

I saw the Katana Mini at Gearfest the day Boss announced/released it. It's really just a bigger (and probably better) Blackstar Fly, so I'm good with mah decision :embarrassed:.

Back