NBD

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
So, this happened:
Jazz Bass 1.jpg

I actually chose this over an FSR Ash JB. Money played a part, but not entirely. Weird. I'm starting to really dig Indonesian basses?

Yes, Jazz Bass. In fact, so good that I plan on acquiring at least one more Indojazzbass soon - they're just too good right now to pass up.

The pups are a little obtuse and hot for my tastes, but that's a soldering iron and $80 fix; I can also add a higher mass bridge 'one of these days' (meaning I'll use this for recording, EQ it, and blow off that mod .... LOL).

On my 'also looked at, wanted' Squier bass list:
* James Johnston Jazz (based on Classic Vibe)
* '77 VM Jazz bass, black with nice mother-of-toilet-seat block inlays on maple FB
* Troy Edwards sig model. Downside: Mastodon logo on headstock (I think this is why God made stickers). Upside: crazy nice to play, with some active EQing (I think). Cool silverburst on Jag body shape screams "have sex with this bass right now!"
* Squier Dimension bass. Electronics are, at best, a puzzle, but the neck on this alone was worth the asking price.

I'm very weirded out by how much I liked all of those.

And I'm not even 'into bass.' (I could be lying there)

Ya like what ya like. It's music to your ears.

True enough. In the past, I've been pretty picky about just about everything - from my Japanese Matsomoku pawn shop finds (OMG) to AVRI stuff. I feel like I know a good instrument from a 'meh' one.

But .... geez. Either I had total starry eyes from GAS or these were all pretty darn nice. Even the places where "corners were cut" were not utterly irritating. And while I wish they wouldn't just dunk things in tons of gloss, these axes were far more nuanced in their execution than I expected. Bravo, Squier.

Someday soon I'm likely to rant my rear end off about the parent brand. IMHO Squier is kicking Fender's ass so hard right now it's not even funny.

Back