National Football League (NFL) 2015-2016 thread

Also, for what it is worth, I am glad Richard Sherman has calmed down on the trash talk. He is in my opinion handling himself in a more tactful way now. They way he ran his mouth before was not my style either, though I do recognize he does good community things, is smart, and is a good player.

I was uncomfortable with Gary Payton's trash talking too, back in the day. So I can admit it on my own team as well.

That drives me nuts. Let the refs do their job.
I agree pretty much. And while we are at it, shall we clarify what is a catch and what isn't, and perhaps clarify the PI rules to make it a little easier and more clear for everyone? That would be nice.

In 2000, Tom Brady was the 2nd Patriots pick in the 6th round at #199. The Pats didn't even need a QB.

@frunobulax - he noted it
@Chad - check out the QB picks below drafted in the year 2ooo
@sunvalleylaw - No team wanted Brady.

In particular, the team loved Brady's mental makeup and leadership skills.

"It's not that we said we wanted to draft a tall, lanky quarterback that ran a 5.3 [time in the] 40 [yard dash]. Those weren't the traits we were looking for," current Bucs general manager and then-member of the Patriots personnel staff Jason Licht said at a press conference prior to the season. "But we were looking for the mental makeup ... Belichick did a lot of homework on him, along with our staff, on his mental makeup. Watching the tape, he was the guy that would go in and lead [the University of Michigan] back to victory."

Other teams were unimpressed with Brady

However, many teams were scared away from Brady because he lost his starting job at Michigan and because he showed up to the NFL Draft combine looking very un-athletic.

"He did not have the prototypical NFL body," said Don Banks of Sports Illustrated on the NFL Network. "He came out kinda skinny [and] they didn't think he was strong enough."

Check out the QB's drafted in the year 2000.

04-25.png

http://www.businessinsider.com/patriots-tom-brady-draft-2015-1

In 2000, Tom Brady was the 2nd Patriots pick in the 6th round at #199. The Pats didn't even need a QB.

@frunobulax - he noted it
@Chad - check out the QB picks below drafted in the year 2ooo
@sunvalleylaw - No team wanted Brady.

In particular, the team loved Brady's mental makeup and leadership skills.

"It's not that we said we wanted to draft a tall, lanky quarterback that ran a 5.3 [time in the] 40 [yard dash]. Those weren't the traits we were looking for," current Bucs general manager and then-member of the Patriots personnel staff Jason Licht said at a press conference prior to the season. "But we were looking for the mental makeup ... Belichick did a lot of homework on him, along with our staff, on his mental makeup. Watching the tape, he was the guy that would go in and lead [the University of Michigan] back to victory."

Other teams were unimpressed with Brady

However, many teams were scared away from Brady because he lost his starting job at Michigan and because he showed up to the NFL Draft combine looking very un-athletic.

"He did not have the prototypical NFL body," said Don Banks of Sports Illustrated on the NFL Network. "He came out kinda skinny [and] they didn't think he was strong enough."

Check out the QB's drafted in the year 2000.

04-25.png

http://www.businessinsider.com/patriots-tom-brady-draft-2015-1
@Modern Saint I can accept he has been an underdog at at least one point in his life. Maybe more. And I respect your admiration for your team's quarterback. I still don't like his demeanor and yelling at folks. I know from previous discussions that you see more of a place for yelling at people in football than I do. That's ok. We can agree to disagree there, as well as we disagree about our opinions on Brady. Respect to you.

I'm just going to say this about that , and then leave it be. (at least until next season! Go Panthers!)

to play football, most players will say it's a VERY emotional game. a lot of players play with everything hanging out. Brady is no exception.

if he was a coddled star that would be one thing. but. he's not. he's is acknowledged as one of the hardest workers on the team. his year-round preparation is well documented. to play at his level, at his advanced football age, he must be putting in the work.

the players know this about Brady and know he gets emotional, and they seem to accept it. because he does the work required to succeed.

as the saying goes, if you walk the walk, you can talk the talk. 4 Super Bowl rings gives a player some authority.

over and out.

Go Panthers!

I'm just going to say this about that , and then leave it be. (at least until next season! Go Panthers!)

to play football, most players will say it's a VERY emotional game. a lot of players play with everything hanging out. Brady is no exception.

if he was a coddled star that would be one thing. but. he's not. he's is acknowledged as one of the hardest workers on the team. his year-round preparation is well documented. to play at his level, at his advanced football age, he must be putting in the work.

the players know this about Brady and know he gets emotional, and they seem to accept it. because he does the work required to succeed.

as the saying goes, if you walk the walk, you can talk the talk. 4 Super Bowl rings gives a player some authority.

over and out.

Go Panthers!
I respect your defense of your guy, and am listening. Not saying I am magically turned into a Brady fan, :wink: but I am listening and willing to watch for his better attributes in the future.

EDIT: I respect he has emotion. It is how that emotion is displayed and acted upon that bugs me. But I will look for his other better attributes as I said. :)

Last edited:

over and out.

Go Panthers!

Gonna pass on the Panthers.....and Broncos too. I have no team I am pulling for in the Super Bowl.

@Modern Saint I can accept he has been an underdog at at least one point in his life. Maybe more. And I respect your admiration for your team's quarterback. I still don't like his demeanor and yelling at folks. I know from previous discussions that you see more of a place for yelling at people in football than I do. That's ok. We can agree to disagree there, as well as we disagree about our opinions on Brady. Respect to you.

I respect that SVL.

I see it no different than Peyton Manning's funny faces though. While not verbal, they were visual.

As for yelling (or crying) that I dislike, my choice is Phillip Rivers (1st round and the 4th pick of the 2004 draft). I still am upset that the Chargers let Brees go for that knucklehead. But then again the ownership and front office of the Chargers - well I am not going to visit that. I have never been an SD fan but I liked Brees there and had hope for that team (just as when Fouts was the QB). I even pulled for the Saints when they got Brees (never against the Pats though - :lol:)

well color me surprised!

Goodell has decided the league is not going to release the PSI date it collected during the season.

the information was collected as a 'deterrent' only.

I wonder, and I'm going out on a limb here, if that data does not support his preconceived positions on footballs? d'ya think?

Super Bowl predictions.

I win because I will be seeing Wilco live instead of watching the game.
Concur. But I am a bit interested in this game. As I said before, I hope Denver brings its best D, and that it ends up being a very good game. Denver did not have anything near this D when the Seahawks played them in the Superbowl. Peyton Manning is really just a side story that I will more or less ignore, other than whether he can do enough to support his defense. That is Denver's only hope. I don't wish ill on the Panthers or want them not to win. I really don't care who wins. Just want to see a good game.

The Pats O-line was awful against Denver . they couldn't produce A run game, and they had to go silent snap all game. Denver could rush 3 great guys, who knew EXACTLY when the ball was being snapped, and play 8 guys back against the short passing game.

If Carolina can get a run going and slow down the rush, Denver is toast. They won't be able to score enough points if Carolina gets on a roll.

it will be glorious.

Go Panthers!

The Pats O-line was awful against Denver . they couldn't produce A run game, and they had to go silent snap all game. Denver could rush 3 great guys, who knew EXACTLY when the ball was being snapped, and play 8 guys back against the short passing game.

If Carolina can get a run going and slow down the rush, Denver is toast. They won't be able to score enough points if Carolina gets on a roll.

it will be glorious.

Go Panthers!
True. An awful lot does depend on offensive line. I might have to learn a bit about the lines of each of these teams.

well color me surprised!

Goodell has decided the league is not going to release the PSI date it collected during the season.

I wonder, and I'm going out on a limb here, if that data does not support his preconceived positions on footballs? d'ya think?

Just a complete joke IMO.

We still aren't going to control the main piece of our equipment that we base our game on but we will be watching!!!

We will also prosecute who we choose to prosecute instead of everyone who shows violation in our uncontrolled equipment.

Did I say 'complete joke'?

well color me surprised!

We still aren't going to control the main piece of our equipment that we base our game on but we will be watching!!!

We will also prosecute who we choose to prosecute instead of everyone who shows violation in our uncontrolled equipment.
Well, I have to agree with you guys at this point wrt their lack of further action. If it is a rule deemed important, it seems easy enough to control. And easy enough to leave a legal range for different preferences. Deciding not to seems like they have less to stand on if it comes up again.

Back