NAMM…..

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
My feet are tired… my ears are ringing… but I got to meet and talk to Paul Davids and Rhett Shull, Døvydas, saw Mary Spender, Phil X, Cory Feldman, Cory Wong (signed photo too).

… and best of all, I got to introduce my youngest daughter to the band members of Mariana’s Trench, one of her all time favorite bands who she’s travelled far to see live a half dozen times. :baimun:

She saw them, stopped dead in her tracks….”Oh mygod ohmigawd oh my….” “Go ask for a photo” “No, I can’t…” so I start walking up to them “No… Dad.. what are you…?”

FullSizeRender.jpeg

They were very kind, took the pic, and chatted for a while. For once, embarrassing Dad worked in her favor. :helper:

Last edited:
Did you take your daughter with you, or does she live in SoCal?

NAMM is something I really want to do once - provided I can figure out how to get in.

Did you take your daughter with you, or does she live in SoCal?.

She’s an interior designer in Michigan, so she has always been too wrapped up in projects to break away. This year we flew out late on Thursday so it was more of an extended weekend.

I did Friday by myself so I could pop from booth to booth… phone said I covered about 7 miles that day. Saturday the first thing she said to me was “I just want to see someone famous by the time this is over…” :baimun:

Here a few more favorite moments while I sift through all of my pics and videos….

Phil X just brings it. Dude has so much energy, charisma, chops, and can sing his ass off!!
IMG_6194.jpeg

Running into Døvydas on the sidewalk and chatting about Live Looping is something I take away from this trip with a big smile.
IMG_6122.jpeg

Hands down, the sexiest playing necks at the show were on these Novo guitars! I don’t know if they do stainless or what the pickup options are…. But if you play one of these and don’t say “daaayyyyumm” then you are dead inside.
IMG_6038.jpeg

Only had a moment to meet Cory Wong and saw him play a bit later… one of my favorites!!
IMG_6024.jpeg

A closeup of Doug Kauer’s eye popping sparkle color. Look at it…. Just LOOK AT IT!!!
IMG_5988.jpeg

So after years of admiring Marconi Labs EGO guitars, I finally acquire one…. And they come out with a new model that BURIES mine in features. The low E and A have a piezo that goes to a separate bass circuit, the bottom switch is off/blend/solo and a separate volume. The guitar doesn’t need wiring because of a custom PCB that connects the hidden neck pickup, bridge, and all of the controls and preamps… then is clamshelled between the front and back halves of the guitar.
IMG_5979.jpeg

And lastly, I didn’t take a pic… but I heard a guitar that made my head spin and think “whoa… that sounds fantastic!…” but was kinda let down when I saw it was a Yamaha Pacifica. :messedup:

After the show I find out that Rupert Neve designed the pickups for the guitar.. :eek:

Here's a video of that Yamaha. I'm not kidding when I say that the clarity of those strat pickups made me stop in my tracks and spin around to hear where it was coming from. Now I wish I would have stopped and demo'd the rest of the guitar.

Here's a video of that Yamaha. I'm not kidding when I say that the clarity of those strat pickups made me stop in my tracks and spin around to hear where it was coming from. Now I wish I would have stopped and demo'd the rest of the guitar.

They better sound good. Those are not cheap!

You need to Photoshop this so that she's holding one of those little doctor lights and the light is shining out of your other ear

They tell you to open your mouth half way while they inject the silicone mold material… and then you have to yawn and move your jaw to properly settle the shape. (The strings are attached to a foam stopper to block off the eardrum).

IMG_6453.jpeg

But I had no idea how deep the ear canals are until she pulled the completed mold out. :eek:

IMG_6452.jpeg

They tell you to open your mouth half way while they inject the silicone mold material… and then you have to yawn and move your jaw to properly settle the shape. (The strings are attached to a foam stopper to block off the eardrum).

View attachment 89690

But I had no idea how deep the ear canals are until she pulled the completed mold out. :eek:

View attachment 89691

Getting custom in-ears is high on my list of stuff to buy. I use them every week. But - having $700-$1200 to spare....not right now.

Here a few more favorite moments while I sift through all of my pics and videos….

Running into Døvydas on the sidewalk and chatting about Live Looping is something I take away from this trip with a big smile.
View attachment 89680
That's super cool! He seems like a genuine, mellow dude. Hella player too obviously. You two talking looping would be a hoot to overhear.

Attachments

• eek.gif
    eek.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 5
Back