Nah....me and you can do this....bring beer....LOL...!!!!!!!

We ended up taking the oil pressure sensor out and just pouring some oil into the hole in the block where it screws in. It looked like it was right above the oil pump, so we figured if we poured oil in there, it had to end up back at the oil pump, and sure enough, it did.

Replaced the sensor, cranked it over for about 20 seconds, and BAM. Oil Pressure!

Spent another 45 minutes or so installing spark plugs, routing and connecting vacuum hoses, connecting the coil pack and plug wires, topped it off with oil and coolant, plugged the fuel pump back in...said a little prayer....turned the key, and she started right up. We even managed to get the cam position sensor in right, I think, because the thing runs like a top.

Drove it down the road and filled up with gas, then drove it back to Jeff's. We need to do some brake work on it now, but that's pretty cheap and very easy comparitively. Gonna drop it off at another friend's tomorrow to recharge the AC, then I'll get her inspected and we'll be all done. I'll put up some more pics at some point. There's really not much left to see. It's exactly like watching the tear down, only in reverse. :grin:

Last edited:
Last batch of pics.

EngineSwap55.jpg

EngineSwap56.jpg

EngineSwap57.jpg

EngineSwap58.jpg

EngineSwap59.jpg

EngineSwap60.jpg

EngineSwap61.jpg

EngineSwap62.jpg

EngineSwap63.jpg

EngineSwap64.jpg

EngineSwap65.jpg

EngineSwap66.jpg

EngineSwap67.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing that you got all those hoses back in the right spot....

Congrats to you and Jeff on a great job!!

Amazing that you got all those hoses back in the right spot....

Congrats to you and Jeff on a great job!!

That part was a lot easier than you'd think. Those hoses are all molded to shape, so between their shapes, and their diameters, there was really only one place each of them could go.

Plus, where we could, we only took the end off that hooked to the engine. The other end stayed connected when we had that option.

How many bolts are left in the coffee can?

:embarrassed:

We actually had two bolts leftover. One of them we know held a bracket or something onto the upper intake. That bolt was still there, but we had no bracket, nor anything that looked like it needed one, so we took the bolt out.

The other, I think was probably also a bracket on the firewall or something. All the internal stuff and all the big brackets (power steering, alternator, engine mounts, etc) all had a full compliment of bolts.

Overall, only have two leftover bolts at the end of it, I feel pretty good. :grin:

Excellent work. To me (and car people) there are few things that bring a level of satisfaction like an engine swap/rebuild.

I see Ford got smart and used the G3 alternator on the Ranger. I had to find one from a Merc Villager and install it on my Mustang, which only used a 75W alt. It wouldn't put out enough voltage with all the upgrades I installed.

Thanks! I'm looking at 1999-2005ish Rangers. Not feeling to confident about this settlement fiasco, so I'm looking for a small, reliable truck. S10s are out unless I can find one with a manual tranny. I'd also like a manual trans on a Ranger, so I'm looking around. Almost all the Rangers I'm seeing look good, but most have high mileage, 150K+.

Thanks! I'm looking at 1999-2005ish Rangers. Not feeling to confident about this settlement fiasco, so I'm looking for a small, reliable truck. S10s are out unless I can find one with a manual tranny. I'd also like a manual trans on a Ranger, so I'm looking around. Almost all the Rangers I'm seeing look good, but most have high mileage, 150K+.
Apparently this is a pretty common problem with Rangers in that timeframe, at the very least you are going to lose power on hills. I do love the Ranger though, and we have a manual transmission. I had never owned an automatic until we bought the Montana.

Apparently this is a pretty common problem with Rangers in that timeframe, at the very least you are going to lose power on hills. I do love the Ranger though, and we have a manual transmission. I had never owned an automatic until we bought the Montana.

Finding one with <100K/manual tranny in the $5-6 range is slim pickins.. heck, late 90s Tacomas are the same price w/175K. Either would do. I see a few in my area, but no $ right now.

I'm driving a 2012 Sonata (automatic). Every time I get in, my left foot goes down, looking for the clutch pedal :embarrassed:

Finding one with <100K/manual tranny in the $5-6 range is slim pickins.. heck, late 90s Tacomas are the same price w/175K. Either would do. I see a few in my area, but no $ right now.

I'm driving a 2012 Sonata (automatic). Every time I get in, my left foot goes down, looking for the clutch pedal :embarrassed:
The blazer has been the worst for me. I sent the pups flying into the puppy gate once when I accidently hit the brake looking for the clutch. :eek: :grin:

Back