Nah....me and you can do this....bring beer....LOL...!!!!!!!

EngineSwap41.jpg

EngineSwap42.jpg

EngineSwap43.jpg

EngineSwap44.jpg

EngineSwap45.jpg

EngineSwap46.jpg

EngineSwap47.jpg

EngineSwap48.jpg

EngineSwap49.jpg

EngineSwap50.jpg

Wow, that is impressive. And quite a project. I definitely dont know enough to pull something like that off and I'm not sure I have any friends that do (at least none that would give up their weekend). Very cool.

I just learned I have a brake light problem and looks like I need a new stop light switch. I wonder how much beer I should buy for that install...............

Mrs P got involved....

:embarrassed:mgonoes:

But seriously, that is coming along nicely. It is so awesome that you have a couple people willing and able to help you with this.

There needs to be a voice of reason somewhere... :)

And she had ulterior motives.

Jeff's air impact wrench is about 40 years old and pieces are falling off of it. He uses it all the time and every time he mentions how he needs a new one.

So, we figured that we'd buy him a new one as a thank you for all the work he's putting into this. Problem is that I had no idea what the torque of his old one was.

So, while she was there, she played the dumb blonde card and picked up the old one and asked "What's this?" even though we had just been looking at new ones a few days before. He told her it was an impact wrench and what it did. She asks "Well, how tight can it get a bolt?" Jeff replied "Well, that one has about 115 ft-lbs of torque, which is how that is measured. It gets them pretty tight."

When Jeff turned his back, I gave Mrs. P a big thumbs up. :thu:

Plus, it was nice to have a third person when we were trying to mate the motor up to the transmission. I was under the truck, Jeff was in the engine bay, and Mrs. P was running the hoist. Got the thing lined up in about 10 minutes or so. :cool:

And get this...

The last time I put a clutch in that truck, it took me hours and hours to get the thing bled. This time, we bled it before we put the motor back in. I told Jeff that I was certain we'd have a lot more bleeding to do once it was back in.

Well, it appears I was wrong. Once everything was bolted back up, I put the truck in gear. We couldn't push the truck. I pushed the clutch, it rolled freely. It might need a tiny bit more bleeding to be perfect, but it's already working pretty well as is.

Good work, y'all. One thing I like to do (and y'all probably did this already) while it's still on the stand and right before I install the engine, is to prime the oil pump by spinning it with a drill, right thru the hole where the dizzy goes.

Good work, y'all. One thing I like to do (and y'all probably did this already) while it's still on the stand and right before I install the engine, is to prime the oil pump by spinning it with a drill, right thru the hole where the dizzy goes.

We didn't do that, but we're gonna prime it with the starter before we hook up the coil pack.

We didn't do that, but we're gonna prime it with the starter before we hook up the coil pack.

Sounds good, and it'll spin over faster with the plugs out.

I see it was raining (pouring) in one pic. Aint it nice to have a shop?! :) One day....

Pretty much all back together, but we've hit a snag. Can't get oil pressure. :facepalm:

We cranked on it for about a minute total, and never got any oil pressure. We're gonna make some calls tomorrow and work on it again on Sunday. May try priming it with a drill if we have to.

Any other suggestions?

Maybe take out the oil pressure sensor and replace with a fitting. Pump some oil in, maybe with a suction gun or something. I wouldn,t put a lot of pressure behind it though.

Last edited:
Sometimes it takes quite a bit. Hopefully the oil pump was packed.

I think they usually say 10 to 15 second cranks, but i have hit with a couple 30 second ones before pressure built.

It is ALIVE!!!

THey did it! Those two guys got the engine running and got the truck out on the road a few hours ago. I am so proud!

Back