NAD

Chad

Slender Hobbit
While the Super Champ x2 is a decent little amp, I wanted something with a little more power and headroom. So I waited until the ink was dry on our home purchase contract and snagged this little guy.

IMG_4092.JPG

A Mesa F-50. I just put the tubes in from the shipping and fired it up. This is exactly what I wanted, loud and clean. The reverb is a little scratchy, but that is what pedals are for. I'll have to spend some time this weekend dialing it in and seeing if I'll even use the drive channel.

Thanks for your input on this one. I figured the DC series and the F series were very similar. This one is 2-6L6s so it is more for me than the 2-EL84s. I went back and forth with head or combo and decided that there is no way I am carrying a Mesa combo up those steps in the barn. That is asking for injury :grin:
Glad to help. The F series was the worthy successor to the DC series. So you got a tweaked DC-5. Pretty good. :thu:

Congrats! And smart move getting the head. Mesa combos are stupidly heavy.

I had a Mark I combo and one of the Subway series combos years ago and they were unbelievably heavy. Even the head is over 35lbs probably close to 40lbs.

I had one for a while. I didn't dig the dirt but the clean was great. Seems like a perfect fit :thu:

It's funny, I have been messing with it for a while now and the clean is absolutely stunning. There is some deep bass there, but not muffled bass and chimey highs. I did just play around with the dirt channel for a little while. If I turn the gain all the way down, I can get a nice rhythm tone. Anything past 7 o'clock on the knob and it is too much for me. Don't get me wrong, I just went through a crazy ass Zakk Wylde pinch harmonic fest, and it was fun, but it isn't something I would ever use :grin:

Nice!

I thought the F series was the precursor to the express series?

I have an express, and the knob layout looks the same. I love the clean channel.

Congrats!

Back