NAD...

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
I suck at amps...as good as I've become with guitars I still really suck with amps...I've bought, sold, and traded more than I care to admit and I've run the gamut from Peavey to Marshall, Fender and Music Man, and keep getting it wrong...

I thought I had finally gotten it right a couple years ago when I grabbed a PRS SE30 from AMS on an open box clearance...brought it to Barn Storm 2015 and impressed with the tones from that monster...I sold it earlier this year for more than I payed for it because I felt it was too much amp for apartment living, and regretted it the day the box hit the UPS truck...

What can Brown do for me? Bring my fucking amp back!

I brought a Jet City amp to Barn Storm this year...there was not a clean sound to be found anywhere in that amp...great amp for the metal crowd, but nothing doing for Beatles tunes...should have brought my TS15...

But, I spent the weekend next to @smurfco who was playing through a Traynor YCV50B that belongs to @Guitar Heel (his "barn" amp) and was pretty much blown away by it...as well as @VoidTerraFirma 's Laney and @telecaster911 's Holland, both of which are beyond my means...

I've been feeling for awhile that I needed to invest in a "real" amp, one that delivered what the guitar collection I've built deserves...so I started looking at DRRI, Allen, and so forth...but I could not get that Traynor out of my head so I started looking for one...

Found one...

It's a YCV40WR...uses 6L6 tubes as opposed to Heel's, which is EL34...this one popped up on Reverb at Pastore's in Union City NJ...I took the ride down after work today (through a pretty good snow storm) and took a look (and listen)...

"Stunned" is not too strong a word to describe my reaction...I basically bought it after play it it for 30 seconds, but I played it for a half hour with a variety of guitars to be sure...

I'm sure...

Congrats, David. But please, do not base your opinion relative to Smurfco. He's a unique talent and you'll just beat yourself up. I know I do.

Congrats, David. But please, do not base your opinion relative to Smurfco. He's a unique talent and you'll just beat yourself up. I know I do.
Oh, don't I know it...this was motivated by how impressed I was with the amp relative to the sound he was getting out of it, but the final decision to buy wasn't made until I heard it for myself (thus the 150 mile round trip through a snow storm)...(to NEW JERSEY)...(exit 17)...

No shit, Howie, this thing sounds better than my lamented PRS...

Oh, don't I know it...this was motivated by how impressed I was with the amp relative to the sound he was getting out of it, but the final decision to buy wasn't made until I heard it for myself (thus the 150 mile round trip through a snow storm)...(to NEW JERSEY)...(exit 17)...

No shit, Howie, this thing sounds better than my lamented PRS...

Peaveys and Traynors never get any respect. But everyone who plays one because they want to loves them. I'm glad you got an amp you like.

Peaveys and Traynors never get any respect. But everyone who plays one because they want to loves them. I'm glad you got an amp you like.
Thank you my friend...

Your previous brings to mind a moment at this year's Barn Storm...me, Heel, Chad, and Charles were hanging in Heel's music room trying out a few of his guitars...Charles was noodling around on an old Harmony(?) when he suddenly broke into a song (can't remember which one)...after he finished he looked over at me and asked me if I wanted to try it...

...yeah, um, no, Charles, I'm good, thank you...:embarrassed:

Thank you my friend...

Your previous brings to mind a moment at this year's Barn Storm...me, Heel, Chad, and Charles were hanging in Heel's music room trying out a few of his guitars...Charles was noodling around on an old Harmony(?) when he suddenly broke into a song (can't remember which one)...after he finished he looked over at me and asked me if I wanted to try it...

...yeah, um, no, Charles, I'm good, thank you...:embarrassed:

sounds about right.

1f633.png

Back