NAD!

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Kqb4K1p.jpg

I bought another Blackstar. This one is a Club 40. I had two smaller Blackstar amps when I was in NYC but they never lived up to the low volume claims. But now that I live in Colorado I don’t care because I can just play loud. At first I though it sounded gross but then I realized the tone pot on my baritone is shot. So I switched to a Les Paul and it sounded sweet, especially on the OD channel. The clean channel sounds muffled, I’ll have to try and get a better sound of it. This amp sounds BIG, probably because the cabinet is oversized.

I wasn’t planning to buy this. I was saving up to buy an Orange OR15 and a 1x12 cabinet. But this kept showing up on Craiglist for $450 and I negotiated down to $380. I’ll probably get sick of it and sell it later, but by then I’ll have the scratch for the Orange.

right on. I played a Blackstar in a GC for a few hours a long time ago and loved it.

I played with the cleans some more today. It’s got an incredibly sensitive tone knob—in a good way. I just had it too far to the left last time. On the vintage setting it breaks up fast, so I can stick a muff in front of it and get the nuclear armageddon tone I love. Which is good, because stacking the muff and the gain on the OD channel results in an awful sound without much gain.

I’m amazed at how transparent this amp is. Every guitar and pickup sounds completely different. And the way it reproduces picking dynamics is astounding. The downside is that problem electronics sound like dog shit through this amp, especially through the OD channel, so I’ll be replacing some pots and pickups in the coming week. That’s not a complaint—I needed an excuse to get off my ass and clean up some of these guitars.

My one complaint is that the clean channel only has a tone knob. It’s not affected by the tone stack or the ISF. It still sounds great and hits a wide range of tones, but I miss being able to just flick the treble knob up to get some sparkle.

Back