NAD

Chad

Slender Hobbit
It actually arrived Saturday but I just got a chance to take it out of the box and give it a whirl. It is a Supro Sahara made by Bruce Zinky. It is a 1x12 combo with dual EL84s at 25 watts. It is pretty simple, Volume, Treble, Mid and Bass controls, 1 channel. I fired it up and after playing with the EQ, I got it sounding pretty good, but it was a little shrill, so I unplugged the stock speaker and tried my Vox cab (Celestion) which was better, then I tried my Epiphone cab with an Eminence Lady Luck and that sounded the best. It gave it a nice warm and round tone. It stays clean close to half way up, then it gets nice and crunchy. I need to see how it sounds with the McFeely and my pedal board (once I get it back together).

IMG_2196.JPG

HNAD!:thu:

Perhaps the speaker needs some time to break in?

It is used, so I am hoping the other guy played it some. The Vox and Epiphone cabs are both pretty broken in and the Epi cab sounded overall the best. The Vox sounded really good when I cranked it and it was distorting, it was a pretty close AC/DC sound but pretty thin with the volume down and clean. I don't think I'll swap the speaker anytime soon, but some speakers sound better with certain amps. I don't know what is in it now, it is just badged Supro. Maybe if I take a closer look it will say something.

I looked up your speaker...it's a replica of the supro speaker from the late '50s, paper cone and smaller coil...definitely not as much bottom end warmth as the other speakers you're playing through...

I looked up your speaker...it's a replica of the supro speaker from the late '50s, paper cone and smaller coil...definitely not as much bottom end warmth as the other speakers you're playing through...

That is pretty much what I heard when switching the speakers. I generally like a lot of bottom end on the guitar which is probably due to me spending so much time as a bass player.

:cool: Very cool! :cool:

I'm a big fan of the Eminence Lady Luck speaker, so you get extra credit on your grade this semester.

Back