NAD :(

xStonr

Kick Henry Jackassowski
The other day I picked up a Marshall DSL 15h after flipping some other amps. I must be tonally jaded. Nothing sounds good lately. This amp has too much gain for my liking. After some research I found that that's normal and I can do mods to tame the gain. Why get a new moderately priced amp only to mod it? I don't think so. But I did find a tube that might take care of this issue. It's a JJ ecc 823. This tube used in V1 is wired to keep the clean channel stock and drop the gain down in the drive channel. Kinda like half a 12ax7 and half 12au7. I ordered one and hope it does what I want. If not, the search continues.

The higher wattage DSL's have a Classic, Lead 1, and Lead 2 channels. The 15 has Classic and Lead 2. By lowering the gain it makes Lead 2 a more usable Lead 1. Hopefully this ECC 823 tube does the trick.

I installed the tube and it seems to have lowered the gain on the Lead 2 channel without changing the gain on the Classic channel. I'm still on the fence with this amp. I have 3 weeks to decide if I want to keep.

ps: I do have another amp being shipped out tomorrow (Monday). My GAS is running overtime.

FWIW, I tried some guitars through a 40 the other day, and I could get on OK with the Classic channel, but the Ultra channel made me wince. Maybe it's the stock speaker.

The stock speaker in the 40 is the Celestion Seventy 80. I using some Greenbacks with mine.

I want to like this amp but no matter how hard i try, it's not happening. It's going back.

Last edited:
Son has a couple of tube amps, they don't get played much. Been buying really good SS amps dirt cheap.

Back