NAD!!!

telecaster911

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Hehe. I went to the guitar shop today at lunch to buy a set of strings for a setup and bought this on a whim.

ysazasuz.jpg

It sounds really great, but...it doesn't work well as a channel switcher due to the shared eq. So basically pick a channel and roll with it. It takes pedals well regardless of channel. I see some reviews kind of dogging it a little. There are tons of sounds in there, so you might not immediately get a tone that you like. At first I thought man, I just don't know. It wasn't floating my boat. But after 20 minutes of fiddling, there it was. That great marshall crunch. You know, the one with the sparkle on top and that low resonance bottom end. Lead lines had that upper mid cocked wah sound. Then with the OMG horsie dumped on top of that, it's like you could do no wrong. Notes just jump off the fretboard. To get here though, the controls are not in your normal Marshall position. I'm guessing that's where folks go wrong with this amp and end up with a tone that they don't like.

It has TAD 6V6's which I can be totally fine with, but I'm going to try some different preamp tubes and see how it goes. It sounds good at low volume, but you have to adjust the eq depending on volume.

It would have been a grand slam if they would give the lead channel even just it's own tone knob in addition to the shared eq. You can squeak by using the tone knob on your guitar, but it's not ideal tonally that way. I'm going to put my fatboost back on my board since it has bass and treble to brighten up the clean channel. So it will be set up for the dirt channel as the primary with the clean channel helped out by the fatboost. Obviously I'm coming up with ideas as I type :)

Anyway. I dig it. It rocks pretty hard.

awesome!

HNAD!

now get a couple "proper" cabs to go wit it :wink:

wait...
is "15" a typo?
like, missing a "0"?

Yea, I bought the strings:)

Yes, the 15 watt DSL.

If I was nit picking, I'd say the classic channel is too clean and the lead channel is too dirty. I ended up with the classic channel with the gain on 10 and the lead channel with the gain on 2 for my liking. Set up for a killer sound on the lead channel, the classic channel is too dark. I think the fatboost will fix this though, so I can arrange the channel switch and the fatboost next to each other so I can hit both if needed. What would have just killed is if they would have put two of the lead channel in there. I'll play with some tube swapping over the weekend then maybe some clips. The video with (I think his name is Chris) doesn't do the amp justice, sounds tinny in that video. All in all it's a pretty fun amp. There is some hiss with the lead channel.

HNAD!

The video with (I think his name is Chris) doesn't do the amp justice, sounds tinny in that video. All in all it's a pretty fun amp. There is some hiss with the lead channel.

TBH, I think in most of the Marshall videos he does, the amps sound not so great

Back in my gigging days, my last amp was a DSL 50. It suffered the same issue with the shared EQ. Both channels could sound good but not if you tried to channel switch.

HNAD. :cool:

I tried the combo, and share your nitpicks on the channels, but I'm sure if I had it for an length of time, I could tweak it to my liking.

Back