NAD...this made my year!

bcryant

burnt toast
Hello again MWGL community!

I can't remember the last time I posted here. It was at least a year ago if not two or three. More gear came then went over the past while but I will save that story for The Lounge.

Anyway.........
A buddy of mine who occasionally helps clear out old houses gave me a call yesterday saying he had something for me to check out. They normally just collect any reclaimable wood and anything metal. So any other goodies are a bonus and he can take them for himself.

A short while later he comes walking up my driveway with a 1962 Gibson Skylark GA-5T. I told him what it was and that it definitely needed some work. Somebody put in a funky on off switch that looks like it came out of an old truck. The tremolo doesn't work and the speaker is torn. Oh and the old-school two prong plug is still there. Overall condition wise I would give it 8/10. The original tubes are still intact and it still makes sound. Remarkably quiet I might add as far as any humming or noises go.

So I let him know that I was interested and would take it off his hands.

He says, "$20?"

"DEAL!"

I was absolutely dumbfounded. I could barely contain myself. I'm not gonna lie when I was by myself I did a little happy dance or two.
This one is definitely a keeper!

Now just to bring it down to the shop and see what it's going to cost me to get it functioning correctly and safely.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet, nice score! :thu:

You'll want to replace those electrolytic caps while you're at it. Looks like a pretty good bubble coming out of that one at the top of the photo.

VERY cool! Like Shoeless said, that one electrolytic is toast. More than likely the other ones are also gone. Wax paper caps usually don't last much more than 20 years or so (they dry out).

Back