NAD - These Little Stinkers Are Coming Home Next Monday

ellengtrgrl

Guitar Old Timer
I've never been really satisfied with my Blackstar Club 20. The high gain channel is OK, but kind of generic sounding, while the clean channel doesn't do much for me. Also, for a 20 watt amp, it's kind of big and clunky. So, a few weeks ago, I started looking for another amp. I wanted something relatively simple that could dish out the dirt, when needed, but still had warm, clean sounds, when it was dialed back. A master volume or power scaling was preferable, but if it sounded OK with pedals (like my old Blackface Fender heads did, that I had back in the early 90s), that was fine with me.

I tried out an AC15, and an AC10 a week ago. The AC15 sounded blah at low volumes, and while the AC10 could get pretty dirty, it did not take pedals very well at all. I found the new Bassbreakers to be "meh" (you have to turn them up waaaay too loud to get any kind of dirt, and I didn't feel like having to lug a 60 or 70 lb. amp - though that may not be the case with the Bassbreaker 15, when it becomes available), so I called it a day for amp stuff.

I decided to take my Tele, and Les Paul Special, to do some more amp testing this past Saturday at Cream City Music ( GC sucks around here, and Cascio Interstate Music is averse to doing any kind of trade). I didn't know what to try, when I got to Cream City (the Mesas were a bit more than I wanted to spend, and I haven't been to impressed with them lately, I do not like the Fender Hot Rod, or the Dr. Z [which is very pricey], nor did I want another Marshall), but I saw some of the new Supros sitting on a table, that were the size I was looking for. I plugged into a 1624T, Dual Tone, and got some great, warm sounding cleans out of it. It started getting dirty pretty quick, when I turned up the volume (don't forget, Jimmy Page used a Supro for the first two Led Zeppelin albums). Tremolo was a plus too, but I wanted to hear what the amp sounded like, with some serious dirt, so I asked for a high gain pedal. I was given an Alexander Jubilee Silver Overdrive (which does some great Marshall JCM 800 Silver Jubilee, high gain tones).

I plugged in, and fired up the Tele, and WOW!!! Nice and tight sounding grind, with great note definition, and lots of punch! Yeah!! now we're talking! The 'Paul rocked out just as hard. I got full on metal machine sounds, but without the "I'm using a Hotrod Deluxe as a clean power amp for my pedals" tone, that sounds kind of generic to me. The amp was definitely adding to the sound. I was sold on the amp. I tried out two other Supros - a Saturn Reverb, and a Thunderbolt. They both sounded pretty good, but that 1x12" speakered, 24 watt Dual Tone did it for me. Sold!!!! Since I also liked the Alexander Silver Jubilee, I bought it too. I put them on layaway, and when I get paid next week Monday, they're both coming home. Here's what I bought:

Supro 1624T Dual Tone
Screen-shot-2014-08-18-at-12.04.25.png

Alexander Silver Jubilee dirt pedal
Jubilee-Front.jpg

Supro Dual Tone in Action

Last edited:
I don't think you'll need the dirt pedal to enhance that amp but you'll definitely need a tremolo pedal because it was used heavily through out, even during the clean compression part. Otherwise the video sounded awesome.

Loving most of the new Supros. I'm glad this one sounded so good for you. HNAD!

I've been hearing great things about those new Supros. Let us know how it's working out for you post-honeymoon. HNAD!

Thanks people. :) The main reason I also bought the Jubilee Silver Overdrive dirt pedal to use with the amp, is due to the fact that while the amp has great overdrive, it has it at volumes that would get me evicted from my apartment, if I cranked up to do some practicing. So, dirt pedal it is. Live and while at jam situations, are a different story though - the amp dishes out enough dirt, to work in most rock situations, you'd only need a dirt pedal, to kick over into the metal zone.

Last edited:
Back