NAD ( SS goodness)

profgalen

Helper
I learned a long time time ago that an amp does not absolutely positively have to have tubes to sound good. I currently own a Poly Tone Mini Brute and a Yamaha G100IIh. I have played through a number of JC120s. I didn't hesitate to grab this 90s Roland Blues Cube 1X12 on the cheap. These amps have a great reputation as one of the best Sounding SS amps ever. Maybe that's why Roland recently reissued a newer (digital) version of them. This is not a digital modeling amp like the more recent Cube amps. It is a all analog SS transistor amp. That being said. I have never played a SS amp that sounds this good. The clean channel has a three position switch for clean, crunch and more crunch. The middle crunch setting is my favorite. Very tweed like. The lead channel is more of a Marshall flavor. Separate tone controls for both channels. There is a switch to simulate a tube rectifier and the best sounding presence control I've ever used. At 60w it gets plenty loud but unlike tubes sounds good at any level. Reverb very usable. Adjustable F/X loop. Great sounding speaker. Assembled in U.S.A.
9b05ceca073f7aba1b2af1bbff7cb68a.jpg
25c97ec48530ab373b1260cd10ecba57.jpg
71e82bc1d4e01efd4798e8bf2e007d13.jpg
0413facbd908059f6964a71eb4fa553d.jpg
290c997927e83ae0e9725398771445de.jpg

The down side is this thing weighs as much as any 1X12 tube combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I remember listening to a guy at Rainbow Music in Poughkeepsie playing a red Fender "The Strat" through one of the original Cube amps...amazing sound, especially for SS...

Happy new amp day!

I'm lucky in that I don't know the difference between tube and solid-state sound so I can buy cheap. :grin:

Congrats on the HNUGAD :thu:

I agree with you profgalen on SS amps as there are many winners. Just like tube amps there are winners and losers.

Gigged with this last night. A little big for my side walk cafe gig but it sounded great with my Strat. I used a Uni-Vibe pedal and a touch of delay.

Back