NAD! Orange content.

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I sold my Blackstar HT-40 a little over a week ago. It was too loud, even with an attenuator, and I was only using the clean channel anyway. So I downsized to the Mesa 1x12 cabinet I bought last week, and today my new amp came:

SdG6exQ.jpg
SdG6exQ.jpg

It’s a fun little practice amp that nails vintage Matamp/Orange overdrive tones. It doesn’t do pristine cleans at all; even at whisper volumes with the gain down it’s got a little grit. But that makes it great for combining with fuzz and muffs, because I get crackling hot power amp sounds at reasonable volumes. It can also get damned loud if you crank up the gain. Hopefully Orange will decide to produce a two-channel version with a real clean channel at some point.

I love my MT! To smooth out the sound a bit, try a reissue Mullard 12AU7 in it. These things are a tube swappers dream.
Amazing how this little amp responds to different preamp tubes.

Last edited:
Really tempted to try one of these or the micro dark as a practice amp. Do they sound good at neighbour friendly volumes? And would it be anywhere near loud enough through a 2x12 for band practice? I hate lugging my Laney head around, would be nice to just carry a micro head in a shoulder bag!

Any drummer that would drown out the MT thru a 2x12 ain't worth having.
I use mine and a 1x12 all the time. And it stays pretty cleanloud, especially after the tube swap.

Back