NAD - Micro Terror

Tube swap report 2: I was really digging the strong, fat tone of the Sovtek 12ax7lps in the MicroTerror, but following a small "oh crap, there's no sound" scare after my cats knocked it to the floor while chasing each other, I decided to go ahead and try it with a vintage 5751 tube.

Holy shit. The mid-60s GE 5751 in this miniscule amp is maybe my favorite classic rock amp sound ever. It's all Robin Trower, SRV, Philip Sayce, Angus Young, and Paul Kossoff .... fat, hot and just about to scream. It's basically every electric tone you loved as a youngster.

With the volume, tone and gain at noon, there's an aggressive, articulate vibe to every sound it makes. Without touching the amp, control adjustments on my Strat can go from a sweet, slightly hairy "Little Wing" tone through "Jailbreak", "Back in Black", "You've Got Another Thing Coming" and all the way to "Run to the Hills" and "The Wizard."

Dayum.

When this little guy's big brother arrives this week, the first damned thing I'm doing is throwing a 5751 in it.

Baby, I'll be frickin' set.

Last edited:
It's all Robin Trower, SRV, Philip Sayce, Angus Young, and Paul Kossoff .... fat, hot and just about to scream.

By the way, how the hell did I never hear about Philip Sayce until this morning? Fuck me, that dude has achieved an Ian Moore-level of Strat mastery ... plus he sings like an angel with a bad attitude

Again, dayum.

Last edited:
Back