NAD! DV Mark "Little Jazz"

Wow, that looks cool! Any chance you could also try running your A/E into it? I'd love to hear any clips you've got.

Yeah, but the real question is, will the larger one play free jazz?

:wink:

The vast majority of today's A-list jazz guitarists use 60s Fenders.

Bill Frisell, Marc Ribot, Peter Bernstein, and Lionel Loueke all use Deluxe Reverbs. Mary Halvorson uses a Princeton Reverb. Miles Okasaki uses a Twin. Liberty Ellman uses a Vibrolux, etc.

I've assumed that Mark's rationale has been one of California scene peer pressure and amplifier weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
The vast majority of today's A-list jazz guitarists use 60s Fenders.

Bill Frisell, Marc Ribot, Peter Bernstein, and Lionel Loueke all use Deluxe Reverbs. Mary Halvorson uses a Princeton Reverb. Miles Okasaki uses a Twin. Liberty Ellman uses a Vibrolux, etc.

I've assumed that Mark's rationale has been one of California scene peer pressure and amplifier weight.
Actually I can't get a clean enough sound from my 1971 Deluxe Reverb. It's getting sold as soon as I get it back from the repair tech (another reason why I don't use it). I've had 5-6 amps from the mid-to-late 1960's and they all take more maintenance than I really care to to do anymore. If and when the '71 get sold I'm going to replace it (most likely) with the 1968 reissue amp. I wanted something smaller to carry around school though and I'll have something of an announcement next week which will give a little more insight into this purchase. Plus this will keep me in the time between now and when finally get it together to get a newer amp.

And if I was into the peer pressure I'd buy a fucking Quilter. That is what everyone in this area is buying and I just don't dig them.

I found these amps because my friend Jostein posted this video and I figured that a $350 amp that was portable and sounded decent was a good purchase for me:

https://www.facebook.com/josteing/videos/vb.739555922/10154005182245923/

Bernstein's sound (guitar to Deluxe Reverb direct) is damn near perfect for a traditional jazz guitar tone.

Reactions: Tig
Bernstein's sound (guitar to Deluxe Reverb direct) is damn near perfect for a traditional jazz guitar tone.

Thats a great sound. My Deluxe has been modified, blown up and repaired so many times (especially in the 22 years that I've owned it) that it sounds nothing like that. I'm hoping that I can get something like that with the reissue when I'm able to make that purchase. My next bigger purchase is a new archtop though.

Hey, @Mark Wein , I hate to muddy the waters (heh), but GC online just put the DV Frank Gambale SS signature amp on sale for $349...120 watts :embarrassed: :

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DV-Mark/FGC121-Frank-Gambale-Signature-120W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

FGC.png

FGC2.png

Hey, @Mark Wein , I hate to muddy the waters (heh), but GC online just put the DV Frank Gambale SS signature amp on sale for $349...120 watts :embarrassed: :

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DV-Mark/FGC121-Frank-Gambale-Signature-120W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

View attachment 27492

View attachment 27493
My replacement is already on the way. I wonder how they have so many more features at such a low price point? Itnisnselling the same as the Jazz amp but the list price is about half.

I wish my amp had less wattage... said no guitarist, ever.

EDIT: and I should probably add a little to that: solid state amps tend to not suffer from the tone loss that the tube amps do at a lower volume. With the amp being ~23 lbs, I'd opt for the ability to turn it up rather the possibility of it running out of steam.

Yes, you could mic it. I don't know how the jams work were you are, maybe they're better run, but every one I've ever been to does not feature mics for instruments - you're on your own.

Last edited:
I wish my amp had less wattage... said no guitarist, ever.

Except every Marshall user who pulled a pair of power tubes so they could get more distortion at lower volumes. Regardless, this is a clean amp, and as Mark mentioned earlier, he has other options for higher power situations. This amp fills a specific need.

Back