NAD! DV Mark "Little Jazz"

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464298601.412859.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464298612.698297.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1464298621.148596.jpg

I needed something small for school and rehearsals and whatnot. I saw Jostein Gulbrandsen post a video after he got his and I thought that it would be a great way to avoid buying a Polytone. It's loud enough and clean enough to play jazz through and I guess I could even use the line out or the external speaker out for bigger gigs and whatnot.

From the GC website:

Jazz guitarists are well aware that creating a great jazz tone requires not only the right guitar but also the right amplifier. The DV Little Jazz 45W 1x8" guitar combo has been designed with a jazz guitar in mind. Lots of attractive features which make it a new standard for jazz guitarists and everyone in need of a small, ultra-compact, very-portable combo with a clean, warm, powerful sound!

Features
  • Power: 45W (solid state)
  • Single channel
  • Contols: master, bass, middle high, reverb
  • Speaker: 1x8" DV Mark Custom
  • Impedance: 8 ohm
  • Aux. input
  • Headphone output
  • XLR line out
  • Speaker on/off
  • Output for external cab
  • Dimensions: 10.5" x 10.5 x 10.3"
  • Weight: 15.21 lbs.

Last edited:
HNAD!

Looks good with the JP, and I did notice the XLR line out. I agree that it looks like a nice practice amp that can go to larger venues by using the line out, with the amp being your guitar monitor. What's it's output wattage?

HNAD!

Looks good with the JP, and I did notice the XLR line out. I agree that it looks like a nice practice amp that can go to larger venues by using the line out, with the amp being your guitar monitor. What's it's output wattage?
Thanks!

It's 45 watts (solid state) with an 8" speaker. They make a 12" version that I probably would like the sound of better but that would kind of defeat the purpose of me getting this in the first place.

Thanks!

It's 45 watts (solid state) with an 8" speaker. They make a 12" version that I probably would like the sound of better but that would kind of defeat the purpose of me getting this in the first place.

With 45 wats, you're in great shape, although with a full band it might not work as a monitor, unless it's pretty close. With the 3 band EQ, I would think you could get a decent tone, even though it's an 8" speaker.

With 45 wats, you're in great shape, although with a full band it might not work as a monitor, unless it's pretty close. With the 3 band EQ, I would think you could get a decent tone, even though it's an 8" speaker.
Well, for jazz trio gigs the volume levels are pretty low to start with. The tone is OK. Not the best thing in the world but definitely good enough to work with. Anything bigger or more modern sounding I would use one of my other amps.

Canine approved HNAD! BTW is that a fan on the back panel?
Yeah. I'm assuming it might run hot doing that kind of wattage in a small enclosure like that. They only go to the expense in something like that if they absolutely have to.

Ok.... After playing a set with a 5 piece group tonight I think I'm going to return this one and order the version with the 12" speaker. It sounded great at home but it's just not quite enough onstage when the group gets bigger and the room is larger.

Shame about that as I know the portability was a big factor in your choice.

I know it won't address the portability issue but have you tried the amp with a external cab just to check if you do get that much more grunt/projection/presence with a bigger speaker? I was thinking about that 4x12" of yours but that would scare the living bejeezus out of most jazz groups. :grin:

I tried the little one a few weeks ago and it was a solid, clean amp. Cool that the bigger one went on sale :thu:

I am still debating whether or not to plunk down a deposit on one of the clearance 40W tube combos, but it will have to wait at least a couple of weeks (if they are still there).

Back