My wife's reaction to seeing this was pretty good...

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Michael Spalt Totem G1403 “Hunter”
Spalt-Totem-Hunter.jpg

The Michael Spalt “ResinTop” guitars a unique process marrying a tonewood back with a clear resin coating on the top into which decorations and inclusions can be applied. After experimenting with various types of resin, Michael developed this process, allowing him to assemble objects and assorted bric-a-brac into a homogenous guitar body. The resin is formulated to accomodate the thermal expansion and contraction of the wood and it is sonically transparent. The wood used for the back supplies the basic tonal characterstics and structural stability, while the wood choices for the neck allows to dial in the coloration of the sound. The resin adds sustain and its tonal effect is similar to a “maple cap over mahogany body” effect-sparkle and transparency in the upper frequency ranges. As with a conventional guitar the choice of hardware and pickups also plays a large role in determining the sound of the instrument.

Each ResinTop Totem guitar is a unique instrument, both tonally and aesthetically.

Spalt-Guitar-Totem-Hunter.jpg

G1403 Hunter
This Totem ResinTop “Hunter” features a figured Mahogany body with a curly Maple neck and Rosewood fingerboard, 25 ½” scale, 6150 frets, hard tail bridge, recessed Dunlop straplocks, BoneTop pickups. Controls are; volume & tone with pull switch pickups in series/parallel switching and 3-way toggle.

• Body: Mahogany
  • Neck: Maple
  • Fretboard: Rosewood
  • Scale: 25 1/2″
  • Frets: 6150
  • Bridge: Hipshot Hardtail
  • Tuners: Gotoh Vintage
  • Strap Buttons: Recessed Straplocks
  • Pickups: BoneTop Humbucker/P90
  • Electronics: Volume, Tone w/Pull for Series/Parallel, 3-Way Toggle
  • Case Included
  • Weight: 7lbs 11oz
$5250.00 + shipping

I actually dig the profile and the electronic specs, but a think layer of of what is essentially glue (no matter who perfectly polished and transparent) on top of a a guitar just doesn't appeal to me.

That's sort of interesting. I don't particularly like that example, but there's an opportunity to get pretty creative with the material. Kind of surprised it weighs only seven pounds.

Waiting for the manufacturer/marketer/sales person who popped in last time to tell us all how glorious it is.

Back