My trip to the 2016 Chicago Auto Show

CBHScott

How did I get here?
So, usually I am good with going to this behemoth once every ten years or so, but a) because I am in the market for something that I can get around and in-and-out of The Big City for work - small enough to dodge the buffoons, while enough space to carry tool boxes, parts, etc., and b) the sister-in-law really, really wanted to go rolleyes1:wink: ... I decided to shitcan the remaining 4-5 years left in the current wait...

Opening Day, among the first to arrive (an aside: I was here a few days ago to see where the ATMs would be stationed, as my company was delivering and connecting them). My SIL brought along discount coupons, but found out they were only good Monday-Friday (duh!), so instead of waiting for the late-opening ticket booths (seriously, you guys are here for at least two weeks preparing for a show that has been going for 114 years, and you can't get the ticket booths open on time? WTF? rolleyes1 ) - so, like what I should have done before leaving the house, I went online and got e-tickets.

Some pics:

Scion booth.jpg

I found it interesting that a brand that was just announced to be killed by Toyota would have such a huge booth and presence. I woulda thought that these would just be part of the Toyota booth, but whatever. The concept crossover was badass:

Scion concept.jpg

Acura NSX:

NSX.jpg

BADASS Acura concept sedan:

Acura concept.jpg

Alfa Romeo booth :embarrassed: :

AlfaRomeo.jpg

SIL in front of a Dodge Journey (never noticed this model before; could be a great contender for work)

Journey-SIL.jpg

Reactions: Tig
I've never bought into the concept car idea...I can't see the sense in getting the public all revved up over a car they're never actually going to build...I'd rather see the car companies put more energy into producing higher quality cars that don't need to be recalled evry 2 months...

VW apparently has partnered with Fender for some sound system stuff, and as such, giving away four Custom American Teles :cool: (yes, I entered)

VW Fender.jpg

VW Tele.jpg

Kia concept convertible sedan in daphne blue :wink:

Kia Daphne.jpg

My other contenders are a Jeep Renegade, and, to my utter shocking pleasant surprise, this thing:

Fiat 500L.jpg

@OGG

Surprisingly spacious, comfy, and quite cool for the price. Don't know how zippy it is with that little bitty engine, or if it will fall apart :shrug: - but I want one.

And a Fiat Spyder 124:

Fiat Spyder 124.jpg

I have more pix, and somehow I lost a few, but I'm too lazy and this two-part post is too long already :embarrassed:.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
I've never bought into the concept car idea...I can't see the sense in getting the public all revved up over a car they're never actually going to build...I'd rather see the car companies put more energy into producing higher quality cars that don't need to be recalled evry 2 months...

Word; however, a few concepts do make it to production (having said that, many of those are called "concept" just to generate some buzz, when the company already KNOWS they will be producing it...), and sometimes some of the components of the concepts are used in later production vehicles.

So far, the Kia is of interest...

I like the Dodge Journey, but if you get the third row seat, don't expect anyone but kids to fit comfortably back there.
Sounds like you would leave that out for the cargo room though.

^^^ Zactly.

I also gotta say, for all the crap that they may get, frankly FCA (Chrysler) has the most "fun" vehicles out of the big ones. Every other one I sat in, other than a few "wows", was somewhat "yeah, OK, it's fine...next!", but with the Chrysler products, more often than not, I would sit in one and my first reaction would be a smile :shrug:.

And hey, I'll take a Challenger over a Camaro any day of the week.

Oh, and a Ram over any other pickup :embarrassed:.

^^^ Zactly.

I also gotta say, for all the crap that they may get, frankly FCA (Chrysler) has the most "fun" vehicles out of the big ones. Every other one I sat in, other than a few "wows", was somewhat "yeah, OK, it's fine...next!", but with the Chrysler products, more often than not, I would sit in one and my first reaction would be a smile :shrug:.

And hey, I'll take a Challenger over a Camaro any day of the week.

Oh, and a Ram over any other pickup :embarrassed:.

:)

image.png

VW apparently has partnered with Fender for some sound system stuff, and as such, giving away four Custom American Teles :cool: (yes, I entered)

View attachment 25802

View attachment 25803

Kia concept convertible sedan in daphne blue :wink:

View attachment 25804

My other contenders are a Jeep Renegade, and, to my utter shocking pleasant surprise, this thing:

View attachment 25805

@OGG

Surprisingly spacious, comfy, and quite cool for the price. Don't know how zippy it is with that little bitty engine, or if it will fall apart :shrug: - but I want one.

And a Fiat Spyder 124:

View attachment 25806

I have more pix, and somehow I lost a few, but I'm too lazy and this two-part post is too long already :embarrassed:.
I love my 500L.

Aside from the dealership fucking it up, and my own momentary brain fart, it's been 100% trouble free. Just over 14,000 miles and smooth sailing.

The roominess is incredible. At 6'4", I can't reach the pedals with the drivers seat slid back all the way. Leave that seat there, and I can still sit in the back seat behind it... with room. Headroom is also pretty amazing. When I drive our giant Pathfinder, I bang my knees and my head on everything. Go figure.

As for power, it has plenty. The motor is the ABARTH motor, but actually tuned for even more HP and Torque than the ABARTH 500 gets. The big factor effecting "zippyness" is the Transmission. The automatic is a turd. The "Euro twin clutch auto" hasn't proven itself yet. Mine is a six speed manual which is once again, an ABARTH component. It is honestly the best manual transmission I've ever driven in a car costing less than a new house.

The shifts are lightning fast and the action is superb. I love it.

At low RPM, it's pretty doggie, but once the turbo spools, it's a little rocket ship that is hilariously quick. It makes me giggle constantly.

It will also "cruise" WELL above 100 MPH... WELL ABOVE. I thought the 160 MPH speedometer was a funny joke when I bought it, and while I don't know how close it will actually get to that... I've been close enough to it to shock the shit out of me. :) At 120 in 6th gear, it isn't even breathing heavy.

Gas mileage can be great... I say "can be" because it depends on your ability to keep your right foot out of the boost :)

I love my 500L.

Aside from the dealership fucking it up, and my own momentary brain fart, it's been 100% trouble free. Just over 14,000 miles and smooth sailing.

The roominess is incredible. At 6'4", I can't reach the pedals with the drivers seat slid back all the way. Leave that seat there, and I can still sit in the back seat behind it... with room. Headroom is also pretty amazing. When I drive our giant Pathfinder, I bang my knees and my head on everything. Go figure.

As for power, it has plenty. The motor is the ABARTH motor, but actually tuned for even more HP and Torque than the ABARTH 500 gets. The big factor effecting "zippyness" is the Transmission. The automatic is a turd. The "Euro twin clutch auto" hasn't proven itself yet. Mine is a six speed manual which is once again, an ABARTH component. It is honestly the best manual transmission I've ever driven in a car costing less than a new house.

The shifts are lightning fast and the action is superb. I love it.

At low RPM, it's pretty doggie, but once the turbo spools, it's a little rocket ship that is hilariously quick. It makes me giggle constantly.

It will also "cruise" WELL above 100 MPH... WELL ABOVE. I thought the 160 MPH speedometer was a funny joke when I bought it, and while I don't know how close it will actually get to that... I've been close enough to it to shock the shit out of me. :) At 120 in 6th gear, it isn't even breathing heavy.

Gas mileage can be great... I say "can be" because it depends on your ability to keep your right foot out of the boost :)

Yup.

I would jump on a manual in a heartbeat; alas, at times the Mrs. would have to drive as well, and she refuses to touch anything with a manual. While I fully concur that she shouldn't touch a manual, it still limits my choices :(.

VW with Fender is a upgrade over their partnership with First Act.

I agree with Jello, but concept cars are still very cool,

Back