My new amp... reveal!

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I've been following this amp since it was introduced and I was pretty excited to check it out. I've been a huge fan of Line 6 since their earliest amps so this is a slight departure.

jp_nyc said that he played one the other week and he was unimpressed. He did say, however, that he liked the clean and slightly overdriven tones. And this is exactly what I was looking for... I thought that if the cleans and slightly overdriven tones were great and the lead channels were usable, I would be ok with that.

I got the amp last week and finally got a chance to spend time with it this weekend. All I can say is WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! All of the channels sound great, not just the clean and crunch. I love the flexibility of this amp and it's a fantastic plug and play amp. But it really really opens up when you use the Boss Tone Central site on your pc/laptop.

Using this site gives you access to over 55 stompboxes and efx. You also have additional tweakability with the out of the box efx.

I have two saved presets... both in the vein of Eric Johnson/Andy Timmons and they sound great!!!

Channel 1: Clean channel of amp with tape echo and reverb... tonal bliss!!!

Channel 2: Clean channel of amp with Boss Muff Fuzz, delay and reverb... liquid lead done without being too gainy.

I just found a nuno setting that someone made with the brown channel and RAT pedal in front. I can't wait to try that one tonight.

So far, so good. Seems like a winner.

My only gripe is that if I were to gig with this, I would want to have at least 3 saved presets, not just the 2. since I'm not gigging right now it's not that big of a deal.

Here's more info on the amp:

ktn50D-c8269547b049e922a171a2e0a3bf76b2.jpg

Here is the product page from Sweetwater:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata50

Here are some demos from the guys at Andertons:

Dirty demo:

Clean(er) tones demo:

I actually respect these guys vids... I know that they can take a long time to get to the actual demos, but they actually seem honest when they really like something. Rob's reactions to the tones seem genuine.

There's a monster of a thread from the guys on The Gear Page and a lot of these guys are digging the amp in a very big way. And if it's good enough for them...

I got mine last weekend, so I haven't yet jumped into the Tone Central SW, but HOT DAMN, this amp is KILLER!
Great tones all the way around, and the reverb, delay, and other FX are actually good. The 50 is loud enough (even at the 0.5w setting), but the 100 gives you even more beef, an effects loop, and (IIRC) two more preset blocks.

HNAD. Can you only save two presets at a time?

I think it goes up to 4 on the higher models.

Anyway, this is the best SS/modelling lower-cost amp line to come out in a LONG time, and absolutely pisses all over that trainwreck named Spider V.

Roland/Boss nailed it.

I got mine last weekend, so I haven't yet jumped into the Tone Central SW, but HOT DAMN, this amp is KILLER!
Great tones all the way around, and the reverb, delay, and other FX are actually good. The 50 is loud enough (even at the 0.5w setting), but the 100 gives you even more beef, an effects loop, and (IIRC) two more preset blocks.

I think it goes up to 4 on the higher models.

Anyway, this is the best SS/modelling lower-cost amp line to come out in a LONG time, and absolutely pisses all over that trainwreck named Spider V.

Roland/Boss nailed it.
I'm not understanding how it can only have two presets when it has all that other processing.

HNAD

I watched the Andertons review a while back and it doesn't sound half bad. I do like the approach of trying to do a few tones well over jamming in a ton of stuff that the average user is going to largely ignore.

I've watched a few demos of Mike Himmel demoing them. They are pretty killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not understanding how it can only have two presets when it has all that other processing.

on the 50 watt model(which I have), you can only store 2 presets on the amp.

The 100 watt versions have the capability of storing 4 presets. The head has midi capabilities so I don't know if that allows you to store even more.

Back