My NAD iPhone demo video of the Kustom Defender 50

The only time I had a problem with a amp bought at MF, they sent me a RA and shipped a replacement the same day. Less down time. Maybe they'll do the same for you.

No, I had that experience too. I turned it on for a student and it made some strange noise for a second like maybe a cap way discharging and then it got super noisy. I looked in the back and one of the power tunes was strobing all kinds of colors like crazy and then it started to smell like burnt electronics.
Sounds like a bad power tube which possibly took out a grid resistor...

Yeah, sounds like a bad tube.

If it did smell like burnt electronics though, I agree w/GilmourD - probably took out a grid resistor when it went.

Since its new I'm certain they'll have you return it.

Yeah, sounds like a bad tube.

If it did smell like burnt electronics though, I agree w/GilmourD - probably took out a grid resistor when it went.

Since its new I'm certain they'll have you return it.
As I've never seen a tube lose vacuum, would you say all those crazy colors were the tube taking on air?

As I've never seen a tube lose vacuum, would you say all those crazy colors were the tube taking on air?
Could be. No telling really, the colors can get pretty spectacular quickly when the electrons are flowing in places they shouldn't!

Could be. No telling really, the colors can get pretty spectacular quickly when the electrons are flowing in places they shouldn't!
I've been lucky. All I've ever personally seen is redplating when the Sovteks the '65 Dual Showman I had came with decided to die.

I sent the amp back thursday evening and they sent out the replacement pretty much right away so it should be here by Wednesday. Luckily its not an emergency so I'm happy.
I've read so many people that live in Cali., bithching about now having to pay sales tax to MF, you would think you would at least get stuff shipped faster now.

Thanks guys!

Definitely better sounding than the Blackhearts. If I were to buy one for myself I'd immediately swap out the speaker...I ran the amp through the cab I use for my Suhr and it sounded much better. Whatever is in it now is a little shrill.

I just popped some JJ 6L6s in mine (I also tried some 12at7s instead of the 12ax7s, but went back to the 12ax7s) in there and it got rid of the fizzieness I was hearing in mine. It made it a little boomier which I like, more Fenderish if you will.

I just popped some JJ 6L6s in mine (I also tried some 12at7s instead of the 12ax7s, but went back to the 12ax7s) in there and it got rid of the fizzieness I was hearing in mine. It made it a little boomier which I like, more Fenderish if you will.
I'm not going to worry about it right now...these are for the students to use in class and Im spending so much money on the studio this summer that stuff like that is on the back burner. :(

The stock Chinese tubes don't sound horrible. I usually use the stock tubes until they die. Then I replace them with JJ's or Tung Sols.

Back