My Motley Crue Concert Review

Psychotronic

Bored Silly
Saw them last night at the Garden for their farewell tour.

First opener was "The Raskins". Kind of a cross between the Osmonds and Guns n Roses. Actually not too bad, though. Poor guys were playing to an empty venue, though. That's gotta be tough.

Then Alice Cooper, whom I've seen 4 times before. Always great, always has a great band. They sounded fantastic (and way better than Motley Crue), and were super tight, played the hits and did enough of the "show" to make it worthwhile. Good on Nita Strauss, too, who is a halfway decent player.

Motley Crue. Well, what can I say. I've always like these guys. I had no expectations of them being all that good live, but who cares? After all, it's just the Crue! They met my expectations by being barely passable. Didn't matter, though, because it's a fun show.

Tommy Lee's drum sound was murky, too low in the mix, and sometimes propped up by additional percussion tracks, to the point of being overpowered by them at times. Still, he's fun to watch and his "rollercoaster" drum solo was fun.

Nikki was never much of player, and still isn't. But few if any go to see them and expect Billy Sheehan levels of chops. He looked fantastic, though. Seems to be aging quite well.

Vince Neil really had trouble singing most of the material, and was replaced at times by tracks. Only a few times, though. However, all of the backing vocals were canned, as well. Literally lifted right off the records. I wanted to yell at Nikki and Mick Mars to stop pretending to sing, because I doubt their mics are even on.

Mick Mars. Great guitar tone, actually. I was surprised. Unfortunately, nearly every song had other guitar tracks going on (rhythm guitar tracks under his solos, acoustic guitar tracks, etc.) and all it did was murk up the mix. When there were NO tracks under him, it sounded clear and up-front.

Overall, a fun time, and a great stage show. One of the best I've ever seen.

Rëvïëw nëëds möär ümläüts.

Reading again, I think you said "The singer sucked, the bass player sucked, and the drums and guitar were buried under a ton of murk. Great show!"

I saw them on the Dr. Feelgood tour. They were actually really good live back then....and had strippers on stage. :grin:

Even in '91, Vince struggled with a lot of the material, though.

I'm sorry, but the fact that it's acceptable to lip sync and play along to tracks at a live rock concert now just kind of irks me. Who do these guys think they are? Britney?

Good review, btw. Used to like Mötley Crüe back in the 80's.

In the 80's I loved the Crüe. Now I watch you-tube videos and I shudder. Tommy in my opinion is a pretty good drummer and Mick is actually a great guitarist. I cannot stand Nikkii-tells the same stories and thinks a whole lot of himself.

I saw them on the Girls Girls Girls tour in the 80's (with the 1987 Whitesnake lineup opening for them) and it was a HUGELY fun show. Especially from 4th row at the San Diego sports arena. I remember hearing them line check Nikkis bass and thinking how horrible it sounded but in the mix it actually worked really well. A very early lesson on live instrument tones :embarrassed: I'm not surprised by your concert review though.

Back