My "making a record" diary.

update from yesterday...Sean and Scheila killed it on Black Market Hearts:

1546085_10152232873472425_1332933843_n.jpg

Everything is now mixed and at Mastering. I'm hoping to have the finished master to upload on Wednesday morning. Even the finished mixes sound fucking awesome though. Very excited :)

Mastering started yesterday and will wrap up tonight. I was just sent a few clips to check out and decide which direction I wanted to go....man this process has changed a lot in the last decade :)

Ive been trying to catch up on reading this post Mark, its really great thanks for doing it.... Ok back on page something you posted Toms 58 pro....... I gotta know?? pretty sweet right? lol Im going to go back when I get more time I just kinda blew through it. but thanks...

so is this studio yours? looks good did you build it all? What main board are you using? and is there 1 sound proof room or 1 main sound proof room and a smaller isolation room for vocals?
Tall roof?

Ive been trying to catch up on reading this post Mark, its really great thanks for doing it.... Ok back on page something you posted Toms 58 pro....... I gotta know?? pretty sweet right? lol Im going to go back when I get more time I just kinda blew through it. but thanks...

so is this studio yours? looks good did you build it all? What main board are you using? and is there 1 sound proof room or 1 main sound proof room and a smaller isolation room for vocals?
Tall roof?

Thanks!

And yes, Toms amps are ALL killer. You'll hear it on "Someone Else's Fool", "Everythings Cool" and "I'm Gonna Leave" :)

The studio is El Borrachitos. He built it from an empty shell and he works in it pretty much every day. He is currently running Pro Tools 10 on some sort of Mac Pro with all of the current interfaces. Mics go in through all kinds of outboard mic preamps and there is a Yamaha O2r board there as well. All mixing is really done in the computer. There is a good sized control room and a tracking room that is pretty much the same size non the other side of the glass. Where you see pictures of me with my guitar AND a vocal mix is the "airlock" or the space between the two rooms and the outside of the building. Its small but completely state of the art and he has a massive mic collection as well since they do all of the www.FullonDrums.com stuff and videos for companies like Audio Technica and MXL. The roof is vaulted, too.

The Control Room is about 17x15, the tracking room is about 10x20 with a roof that vaults to about 12'. There's also a small iso. Kick, snare, toms, and some guitars went through Chameleon 7602s, bass went direct into an Avalon 737 and was later reamped. Wurlitzer was direct. Everything else went through a Millennia HV-3D. All the outboard preamps went into my O2R96 straight to PT. Didn't really use much EQ or compression. (Used an 1176 on some of the guitars.)

ok. Everything is uploaded and ready to go on Discmakers. I'm going to review it all in the morning to make sure I didn't screw anything up and then I'll go for it :)

Digital distribution has been approved through CDbaby.com I'm curious how soon it will take for it to go live there since I uploaded the files instead of waiting for them to get a hard copy from Discmakers. It seems like all I have been doing has been filling out online forms for distribution and performance rights for the last 2 days. Still not done.

We're kind of back where we started a year and a half ago. Rehearsing the tunes although this time its to get ready to play them live. We played a short set at last NAMM, a set in May at a Prmier Music event and this is the first time we've played the songs since then....we're doing a 5 song set next Friday since we only get two nights to rehearse and I don't want to stretch everyone too thin...I know I've got a ton on my plate leading up to then and I want everything to rock so we are just paying closer attention to fewer songs. I'm also trying to make things work with my current live rig..it sounds good but some of the songs like Pop! that have a loud clean sound I'm having to play a little crunchier.....

1522032_10152240247982425_1400094712_n.jpg
e

Back