My local shop is selling Alessandro mod'd Fender Amps

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets
Pretty intresting....George Alessandro takes new Fender re-issues, guts them and completely rebuilds them:

59 bassman RI

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alessandro-...n-combo-/231739421449?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

'65 Deluxe Reverb
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alessandro-...618381?hash=item4d3b8d9d4d:g:DP4AAOSw3ydVgitF

'68 Princeton
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alessandro-...add71db&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=231739421449

'65 Twin
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alessandro-...197870?hash=item4d3915966e:g:rHAAAOSw3ydVgjSP

I haven't been in the shop in a while but it looks like I'm over due for a visit.

I'd love to hear what the 'mods' (complete rebuild is more the case) sound like. That looks great.

so you buy a "reissue" amp.....give it to alessandro.....he tears out everything but the cabinet and the speakers.....puts in all PTP hard/hand wired guts and you pay double what you paid for the reissue to begin with?

save the hassle and just buy a brand new Dr. Z and be done with it.

I would totally visit with you if I weren't so far away.

If you wind up in the area before May-ish. Let me know.

so you buy a "reissue" amp.....give it to alessandro.....he tears out everything but the cabinet and the speakers.....puts in all PTP hard/hand wired guts and you pay double what you paid for the reissue to begin with?

Actually you're just buying the end result; a fully hand built amp by George in a stock Fender shell & chassis. There's no multiple transaction process.

If you wind up in the area before May-ish. Let me know.

Actually you're just buying the end result; a fully hand built amp by George in a stock Fender shell & chassis. There's no multiple transaction process.

ok, but when you get to those prices, you could buy any other boutique hand built also.
as Mark said....i would have to hear them side by side compared, and NO pedals.

One thing is that Dr Z makes (in most of my experiences with them) amplifiers that sound more "class A" or Vox'y and the 60's Fender thing is pretty different. While they are great amps they aren't the sound someone like me is looking for so this has some asppeal to it. And the price isn't too crazy when you look at something like this: http://vintagesoundamps.com/shop/vintage-22/

You'll see someone do a NAD this week featuring that amp.

If my Deluxe went to the great amp shop in the sky I'd probably be looking at something like that.

yeah, I don't think it's the same guy. stuff looks cool, BTW.

Same guy. If you own a small business and have downtime, you use it to increase revenue.

He's been doing these for a few years now, they've become a eBay staple. For the most part they just are just rebuilds of the stock circuit. For a while he used only white wire, which most have made it a bitch to keep track of which wire was which.

No...he's doing this to new amps, which the store probably supplies for wholesale. You don't supply a donor amp. But otherwise, yes. Price is comparable to a Vintage Sound 22 and other hand-wired BF clones. Not the way I would go, but as I said, he's been offering them for years now, so they must be earning some money for him.

No...he's doing this to new amps, which the store probably supplies for wholesale. You don't supply a donor amp. But otherwise, yes. Price is comparable to a Vintage Sound 22 and other hand-wired BF clones. Not the way I would go, but as I said, he's been offering them for years now, so they must be earning some money for him.
What would you do in this situation?

What would you do in this situation?

I would probably stick with a SF Fender, mod it if I liked, and let it appreciate. Even if I sunk another $500 in it for a better cab, speakers, etc. I would still be at less than a Alessandro or Vintage Sound and, in theory, the SF will eventually appreciate to earn back so equity. I have that '66 BFSR chassis sitting around to repair and buy a cab for...when I do, it won't be stock.

On a budget? I have zero reservations about the stock '65 and '68 RI's, especially used.

I would probably stick with a SF Fender, mod it if I liked, and let it appreciate. Even if I sunk another $500 in it for a better cab, speakers, etc. I would still be at less than a Alessandro or Vintage Sound and, in theory, the SF will eventually appreciate to earn back so equity. I have that '66 BFSR chassis sitting around to repair and buy a cab for...when I do, it won't be stock.

On a budget? I have zero reservations about the stock '65 and '68 RI's, especially used.
I was just curious. I still have my 1971 Deluxe Reverb but I get nervous about relying on it for gigs due to its age. It seems like it needs a couple of hundred dollars worth of service every few years to keep running if I use it regularly. I don't care for the 65 DRRI but the '68 RI seemed like a decent replacement.

One thing is that Dr Z makes (in most of my experiences with them) amplifiers that sound more "class A" or Vox'y and the 60's Fender thing is pretty different. While they are great amps they aren't the sound someone like me is looking for so this has some asppeal to it. And the price isn't too crazy when you look at something like this: http://vintagesoundamps.com/shop/vintage-22/

You'll see someone do a NAD this week featuring that amp.

If my Deluxe went to the great amp shop in the sky I'd probably be looking at something like that.

btw......Z makes amps with the vintage fender thing also. the Z-lux is 2 6V6 tubes and the Therapy is 2 6L6 tubes......just sayin.

Back