My kid needs to start on acoustic guitar because someone told me in the 1970's

Banjo came about 3 years later. Just saying that bad instrument does not always mean game over.
But statistically...

When I was at The Music Den we carried between 1000 and 1200 students at a time (between all instruments and with seasonal shifts) and the kids with the wrong guitar never made it past the first full month.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

But statistically...

When I was at The Music Den we carried between 1000 and 1200 students at a time (between all instruments and with seasonal shifts) and the kids with the wrong guitar never made it past the first full month.

There is a difference between "bad guitar means game over" and bad guitar increases likelihood of giving up.

You get one shot at getting your kid to play the guitar.
Discourage them, game over.
Bad acoustic, game over. Bad electric, game over.
I have been responding to this statement. It is too absolute and untrue. It may be true in a large number of cases, but not always. I agree that many will get discouraged by a bad guitar, but I think there are many who will either persevere or wait to get a better instrument. Not everyone quits and never learns because the first guitar they got was bad. That is all I am saying.

I have been responding to this statement. It is too absolute and untrue. It may be true in a large number of cases, but not always. I agree that many will get discouraged by a bad guitar, but I think there are many who will either persevere or wait to get a better instrument. Not everyone quits and never learns because the first guitar they got was bad. That is all I am saying.

Well ok, large number of cases.... Over time I'd say MOST cases...
Too absolute? Maybe, maybe not. Depends.... I'll stand by that absolute....

If a newbie can't experience success, and they are doing this for fun, thus not required? Game Over!
They will find something else to spend their time on. Else if that weren't the case, we'd all work for free.
Yeah, its not fun, but we'd do it anyhow. Humans aren't geared that way.

So yes, bad guitar put together with a newbie? Game over....
I'll stand by that absolute...

Well ok, large number of cases.... Over time I'd say MOST cases...
Too absolute? Maybe, maybe not. Depends.... I'll stand by that absolute....

If a newbie can't experience success, and they are doing this for fun, thus not required? Game Over!
They will find something else to spend their time on. Else if that weren't the case, we'd all work for free.
Yeah, its not fun, but we'd do it anyhow. Humans aren't geared that way.

So yes, bad guitar put together with a newbie? Game over....
I'll stand by that absolute...
Again, I guess I am the one exception that proved the rule. Doing for fun, not required, shitty guitar, 48 years of playing.
I appreciate your view, but will continue to disagree as I don't think I am that exceptional and unique; but I will back out of the discussion having stated my view.

Oh and if you are a smoker, do you remember your first cigarette? Not fun, was it? :grin:

Again, I guess I am the one exception that proved the rule. Doing for fun, not required, shitty guitar, 48 years of playing.
I appreciate your view, but will continue to disagree as I don't think I am that exceptional and unique; but I will back out of the discussion having stated my view.

Oh and if you are a smoker, do you remember your first cigarette? Not fun, was it? :grin:

No never smoked, tried once, choked and puked.... So game over lol

There are exceptions to every rule...
Guess I was always in the serious axe crowd... Most started with nice guitars, now one is a prof at Berklee in Boston,
my kid started off with a nice guitar - main instrument and just graduated from same.
Two relatives started with nice Gibbys, one is heading down the pro performance path, the other plays really well... I did teach both so maybe there's...nah...probably not....

But the teachers that I know see the trend, bad guitar, short time student.
But yes, you have proven otherwise so my narrow mind on the issue has been expanded...for that I thank you :)

Aren't guitars great?

I don't teach professionally but help out friends and their kids all the time. This is so common! I even say earnestly that they HAVE to let me help them buy a guitar and it's no trouble, I just want them to avoid getting the wrong thing. Without exception they never do. They always go out and get a POS classical or steel string acoustic. Then they turn up to "show it off" and ask me to teach them an electric guitar song. :)

risefromyourgrave.jpg

That’s fine by me! I never really understood the whole “this thread is xxx old!!” thing.
If it’s a relevant topic to somebody then let’s talk about it. I don’t care if it’s 10 years old.
It's mainly because 99% of necrobumps are to say "YEAH!" or something equally inane to a thread that died several years ago.

As a former moderator, maybe I just saw it more...

It's mainly because 99% of necrobumps are to say "YEAH!" or something equally inane to a thread that died several years ago.

As a former moderator, maybe I just saw it more...
I hear you. There’s a fine line between adding pertinent info and mindlessly typing unimportant text.

For young kids I recommend a Yamaha fg jr with nylon ball end strings.

They can start getting some of the basics down and it's not too hard on their fingers. After a few months, have them switch to a light acoustic set.

It's easier to soldier through that acoustic pain if their fingers already know where to go. Plus, they'll probably dig how much louder it is.

Back