My kid needs to start on acoustic guitar because someone told me in the 1970's

Whatever guitar inspires them to pick it up and play is the right one.

When you find that one, get it set up and get to playin'.

It depends on the music they like, if a kid loves metal like Anthrax or something you don't want to give them a acoustic.

i loved Anthrax.

the reality is, they shouldn't have given me a practice amp with built in distortion. that was a far greater mistake than an acoustic.

I bought a cheap fender acoustic when I was (re)learning about 5 years ago. It was such a piece of crap. I was convinced that I just really couldn't play guitar. Then I joined HC and started reading and discovered that my guitar was most likely a piece of crap and it was making it harder for me to learn. So I bought a used Simon and Patrick acoustic (which I still play a lot) and overnight I was better, because I didn't have to fight the guitar anymore.

As a kid I would have had zero interest in an acoustic though. I would have never picked it up.

My daughter begged me for a pink electric guitar so I got her one.

She didn't play it.

Then Taylor Swift hit the scene and she started playing my acoustic. But I refuse to buy a pink acoustic guitar for her.

I'm not stupid.

lol.

I have one 7 year old student who has a Taylor Swift model Taylor acoustic guitar...it's not pink though.

taylor+swift.jpg

When I had my 1969 Teisco and Silvertone amp I would have given my left nut for a BC Rich Warlock and a Peavey amp.

I think that the "one that they'll actually play every day" line is the best.

That said, if the motivation was already there and that you were going to build the ideal guitarist, you'd give them an acoustic that would destroy their fingertips.

I learned on a $15.00 acoustic my mother bought at EJ Korvettes in 1966. The action sucked, but I played that guitar for about a year.

When I worked at The Music Den helping run the lesson department I'd always deal with the parents that wanted to get their kids the wrong guitar. I'd always show them why. For instance, the kid would be into punk or metal and the parents bought into the acoustic line. I'd play songs on an acoustic to show them how wrong they sounded and always ask "would you want to continue playing if whatever you played sounded wrong? No? Good, now here's an electric kit that's about the same price as that acoustic you were looking at."

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Holy thread resurrection Batman! :eek:

Very much in agreement that the guitar needs to be:

1) Reasonably playable
2) Somewhat in line with the kid's interests as per @GilmourD 's post above.

*gulp*

I learned on an acoustic.
Of course, that may explain some things.....

Certainly toughened up my fingers, though.

Holy thread resurrection Batman! :eek:

Very much in agreement that the guitar needs to be:

1) Reasonably playable
2) Somewhat in line with the kid's interests as per @GilmourD 's post above.
I think #2 is quite important. If, in 1966, I had been given an electric guitar, I may not have stuck with it. I wanted to be Donovan and a steel-string acoustic was what I wanted. The same year my older brother got a nylon-string classical; that wouldn't have worked for me either.

I started on an acoustic. Got an electric a year later. Sold the acoustic after a few years and as for the electric, I still own it. I have done so many upgrades that the guitar played like a beast now.

You get one shot at getting your kid to play the guitar.
Discourage them, game over.
Bad acoustic, game over. Bad electric, game over.
Started my kid off on a Ibanez George Benson GB10 with wonderful action....he just graduated Berklee with half paid by Berklee in scholarships.

Now he tried violin on firewood...game over... if its junk, kids know its junk, game over.

Unless of course I did it wrong... Could be ....

You get one shot at getting your kid to play the guitar.
Discourage them, game over.
Bad acoustic, game over. Bad electric, game over.
Started my kid off on a Ibanez George Benson GB10 with wonderful action....he just graduated Berklee with half paid by Berklee in scholarships.

Now he tried violin on firewood...game over... if its junk, kids know its junk, game over.

Unless of course I did it wrong... Could be ....

Got a bad acoustic, been playing since 1966. idn_smilie

(That was my guitar for the first year of playing.)

Back