My kid needs to start on acoustic guitar because someone told me in the 1970's

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
that you had to start on the "right" guitar. So I went and bought a guitar for $50 at a pawnshop because I want to see if my kid is going to actually practice.

This wasn't exactly the phone call I just had (this gentleman was pretty cool, just not experienced with music) but I get tired of having this discussion.

i agree with starting on acoustic.

i also agree with starting on "the right guitar"

i don't agree with buying a POS from the pawnshop.

part of it being "the right instrument" is making sure its not too big and is set up well. if the student can't hold the guitar, then it's useless.

part of it being "the right instrument" is making sure its not too big and is set up well. if the student can't hold the guitar, then it's useless.

exactly right.

Most people I have this conversation with have already bought a crappy acoustic without taking this into consideration, though

its something we already do.

i wonder how much money could be made in a store like yours just keeping some kid like Jake around doing restrings.

I don't know. I've thought of having a tech but its not in the cards right now. Our first receptionist was one of my students and she could do restrings...neither of the ones I have now play guitar, though.

:HB::HB:

I hear this all the time, especially from parents who tried to play back in the 70's, quit, and now want their 6 year old to use their old acoustic. :facepalm:

The correct answer:

What the student can physically support by themselves, one that is set-up properly, and one that will inspire them to want to pick it up and play.

They don't need to learn on an acoustic either.

if i had it to do all over again, i'd have learned on a parlor sized acoustic. maybe this one:

482230.jpg

it sure as hell would have been a better purchase than my BC Rich Platinum Series Warlock.

if i had it to do all over again, i'd have learned on a parlor sized acoustic. maybe this one:

482230.jpg

it sure as hell would have been a better purchase than my BC Rich Platinum Series Warlock.

Would the you at whatever age you started playing guitar have enjoyed playing the parlor or the Warlock more?

Would the you at whatever age you started playing guitar have enjoyed playing the parlor or the Warlock more?

my problem as a kid was that all the acoustics were too big. i think that if i'd found one that was my size, i'd have gotten it. the only ones i knew about at the time were danelectro convertibles from the 60s. and i loved those.

My very first guitar was a loaner nylon string. I did fine with it but I was kind of a big kid :embarrassed:

Back