My key fob died on me (push button start)

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Good thing it died on me while at home, and I have an extra fob from when I bought the car.

No idea what battery goes in it, so I guess I'll take it to the dealer and find out. Maybe they'll have one.

I'd have no idea how to start the car without the fob working. I know you are supposedly able to do it, I just don't know how. I guess the dealer can tell me that, too.

Open it up and replace the battery yourself. There's a god chance you can see how by a youtube video or something.

On my car there is a slot in the glove box that you put it in when the battery is too low for the wireless sensor to detect the presence of the fob. I've had to use it a few times.

Many push buttons can be flipped open to reveal a slot for a key.
There is usuallay a key stuck in the top of the fob. It's called the valet key.

Check your manual. I don't know what make/model you have, but cars with the fob/push-button start either have a key in the fob, or a spot where you place the fob so the ECM can recognize it, or both. And most fobs use the common 2032 button cell.

What kind of car?

I've changed out fob batteries in virtually every car made...the battery is generally either a CR2032 or a CR2016, but there are others as well...

What kind of car?

I've changed out fob batteries in virtually every car made...the battery is generally either a CR2032 or a CR2016, but there are others as well...
Chevy Cruze.

There is nothing in the manual about how to start the car with a dead fob. If it had happened while I was out on the road I would've been screwed...

I still can't figure out how to open this darned thing.

pic-4750942621396133779-1600x1200.png

Does this help.
So you did try the sensor at the bottom of the globe box too?
Try placing the fob on the sensor a few times.

Chevy Cruze.

There is nothing in the manual about how to start the car with a dead fob. If it had happened while I was out on the road I would've been screwed...

Can you post a pic? I can clue you in...

Chevy Cruze.

Doesn't the fob have a pop out key.
There is no manual door keyhole?

Funny this came up. Now that my attention is back on my S10, I thought I'd try the fobs. Nothing, neither one would work. New batteries didn't do it.

I opened them up, and one had deposits of corrosion on the pc board, directly underneath one of the pushbuttons. Some isopropyl alcohol and a brush cleaned it up, and the other fob's pc board had bad solder joints (a common problem on GM fobs) where the button cell's holder had come loose. 5 mins with soldering iron fixed that. So both fobs back in order :)

Reactions: DFB
Back