My guitar is parched

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets
This has to be one of the driest winters I can remember in the past few years. We don't have any humidity control in the house & my dampit is struggling to keep up with the low rh.

I had to use in-case humidifiers for the first time ever this year.

I don't have cases for all of my guitars though and I'm starting to feel the fret ends on some of them.

We have been putting out bowls of water near the heat registers for the last moth or so. That's for the whole house, not just where my guitars are stored.
The floors in the house are creaking like mad.

I have two damp sponges loaded in the compartment of my molded Martin case that seems to hold humidity well. So well, in fact, that the first year I had that guitar, I overdid it a bit and had to bring the top of my guitar back down as it "bellied out" a bit. I was really bummed, but it came back into a correct shape without cracking with careful backing off on the humidity. The thing is to avoid big fluctuations. So be careful with your case humidity! Get a cigar humidity meter thing and stick it in there too to keep track.

I've got a humidifier running almost 24/7 now while the heat is kicking. I'm maintaining about 25% humidity, and barely at that. But I haven't seen any fret sprout yet, so I'll take it.

I've got a humidifier running almost 24/7 now while the heat is kicking. I'm maintaining about 25% humidity, and barely at that. But I haven't seen any fret sprout yet, so I'll take it.
When I tried to maintain 55%, that was when my acoustic whacked out a bit. I think it is better to keep the humidity off the floor at a consistent level than overdo it and have the guitar then go into a much less humid environment if you take it out of the case or room where those higher levels are maintained. I try to hit 35%.

My acoustic was definitely suffering from the lack of humidity; the top was starting to go concave and it sounded really flat and harsh. A couple days with the dampit in the case and the top is back where it should be & it sounds fantastic again.

We have whole house humidification and yet, a 10 gallon fish tank in the studio to defend the guitars. No fish, just water and a pond filter to keep it moving....and it loses 3 gals a week.. I just keep topping it off... Guitars have been stable.....

Been doing this for years all year round.
When its humid, not much water loss in the tank.
When its like this, gals a week....

Keeps that room nicely averaged out....

It's dry as a bone here almost all year with the exception of the monsoon season. Once guitars arrive and settle in, they'll sometimes need the ends of the frets dressed and polished, but that's about it. Homes out here are sealed up pretty tight and even when it rains like hell, the humidity stays pretty constant due to air conditioning.

Back