My get the finger out for Tough Mudder thread

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
So in just under 8 weeks I intend to do 2 laps of Tough Mudder this year.

I've let the exercise slip and the diet has been fairly atrocious over the past month or so so yesterday marked the start of my getting shit together plan.

I went a run a back of 10 o clock last night which made me feel good that i'd bothered to do it until I was wide awake until well after one :grin: :facepalm:

Got a nice flexible training schedule worked out that should keep me going and I'm going to do my best to keep the diet in check and limit myself to one night of beers a week so come the 14th of June I should be flying through the course.

Off to do some t25 jumpy around stuff which is actually great training for these sorts of things :thu:

Where is the one you are doing?

And I think a beer or two every now and again won't muck up training much at all. Maybe just limit the more than one or two to once a week.

It's the Scotland one I'm doing. Done it twice before but they've moved the course back to the original one (after a mass outbreak of e-coli a few years back!) so this is the first one I'll have done here.

I'll get to camp onsite this time which will be fun and I'm on a facebook group for guys who have done multiple TMs so I'm planning on tieing in with a bunch of them and doing the laps as a group - I always end up having to do these things myself despite my mates being very gung ho about signing up when talking about it in the pub :grin:

I've tried the whole "no booze at all" thing for training before and I can only last a few weeks before climbing the walls - EVERYTHING you do here usually involves booze in some capacity even if it's just going to see a film or doing a bit of shopping in time so I'd spend more time concentrating on not touching a drop than keeping my eye on training. One sesh a week will give me a little reward for the hard work and I fully intend to enjoy my finishers pint before starting my 2nd lap :grin: Just need to keep a stiff upper lip now we're getting to the arse end of the season here so there's plenty of mid week football on and the best pub for miles with a big screen about 50 yards from my front door :grin:

As an aside, I smoked all of the kids I teach by over a minute at a planking challenge as part of a fundraiser at work earlier today :grin:

Do they still zap you with electricity at one of the obstacles? You can always just piss on a lawnmower's spark plug for free or get tazed by a cop (gets kinda' expensive and sometimes they like to just shoot you instead). :eek: :grin:

EDIT: Yep, they still do!
Tough-Mudder-Obstacle-Testing--3664632997-O.jpg

Yup they do and it FUCKING SUCKS!!! Seriously - a lot of people moan about the obstacle you have to swim through a skip of icy water but that's a piece of piss compared to this. Both times I've done it I've been knocked flat on my arse.

I'm not sure what time will be worse - the first lap because I know I'll have to do it again in another couple of hours or the 2nd because I'll be like a burst couch by then :shrug:

They're allegedly hoping to introduce an obstacle where you've got to run through a tent full of tear gas this year :grin: :facepalm:

Yup they do and it FUCKING SUCKS!!! Seriously - a lot of people moan about the obstacle you have to swim through a skip of icy water but that's a piece of piss compared to this. Both times I've done it I've been knocked flat on my arse.

I'm not sure what time will be worse - the first lap because I know I'll have to do it again in another couple of hours or the 2nd because I'll be like a burst couch by then :shrug:

They're allegedly hoping to introduce an obstacle where you've got to run through a tent full of tear gas this year :grin: :facepalm:

Oh, hell no! Once was enough, courtesy of the USMC.
Ditto on most of the other obstacles. messedup0

Oh, hell no! Once was enough, courtesy of the USMC.
Ditto on most of the other obstacles. messedup0

Most of them are fine.

The ice skip is ok providing you just get stuck in, unless you get some muppet in front of you who takes forever to get in then stands around like a plum while you're stuck under the water trying to get past them!!!

Both electric ones suck

There's a couple of climbing over things that get pretty tasty height wise, you'd be in trouble if you fell.

Not that it affects me much being 5"10 but there's a couple of tunnelly bits that would be horrible if you were particularly big / claustraphobic.

I've got my first one in September, and my second Spartan Race in six weeks. I've been training but still don't feel ready. :embarrassed:

I've got my first one in September, and my second Spartan Race in six weeks. I've been training but still don't feel ready. :embarrassed:

You'll be fine mate. They're not as hard as the promo material likes to make you think.

Some of the climbs are hard so get your upper body stuff together and, without wanting to be rude, someone your size will probably struggle with Everest because it's huge and is always one of the last couple of obstacles but apart from that most of it is mind over matter and if you facepalm an obstacle like the monkey bars or floating islands you just drag your arse up and get on with the next section. There's always tonnes of help too from other racers, it's really the best race I've done for camaradare.

I did a 20 mile OCR a few years back and there were a lot of guys train wrecking from about mile 10 onwards, it got really bad come 15+ and I always remember one mad bastard screaming at his pal who was wanting to chuck the race about how your mind will give up way before your body and his goal in life was to do a race where his body gives out because he'll know he's pushed himself to his limits :grin:

They're really good with the water stops too (every 2 miles or so) and you get a beer at the end :thu:

How was Spartan? They're doing their first one up here in the Summer and I wasn't interested because it's only a sprint but my girlfriend has just mentioned that there's 40% off entry on one of her groupon deal thingies.

Do they still zap you with electricity at one of the obstacles? You can always just piss on a lawnmower's spark plug for free or get tazed by a cop (gets kinda' expensive and sometimes they like to just shoot you instead). :eek: :grin:

EDIT: Yep, they still do!
Tough-Mudder-Obstacle-Testing--3664632997-O.jpg

Gee what fun

:eyeomfg:

So I;ve been pretty sick all week (damn unhygenic kids!!!!) but aside from Monday when I really couldn't face it, I've forced myself to work out.

Did a whole body circuit on Tuesday and went for a 10k run last night. Few more pull up exercises to do and that's today's workout done :thu:

Today's is a mix between push ups and pulls ups based on one of the x3 workouts. I had a bunch of stuff to print and laminate during a free period in work so though I'd get stuck into the push up sections so I only had the pulls to do when I go in. My boss walked in on me halfway through a military press up :grin: :thu:

Lucky he's cool and just thought it was funny, he knows I do these races and thinks I'm mad.

Wait a fucking minute.... how much do they PAY you to do this?

If people are doing this voluntarily, they they're fucking whacked in the head. :embarrassed:

Reactions: Tig
Wait a fucking minute.... how much do they PAY you to do this?

If people are doing this voluntarily, they they're fucking whacked in the head. :embarrassed:

I'm paying close to £200 to run 2 laps this year though to be fair I had only paid one entry and got one for my brother who shat it :embarrassed:

Before you start a tough mudder you all hunker up at the start line and go through a little warm up and "motivational" speech followed by the tough mudder pledge.

Part of the pledge is "I don't whine, kids whine." and it finishes with a big shout of HOO RAH!!!

There's one kid in the class I teach who constantly whines so today when he started his bullshit I recited the pledge over the top of him for a joke.

Once I'd explained to the kids what it was all about (good words to live by btw) every time the punk started bitching the rest of them all stood up, pointed at him and shouted HOO RAH!!!! to shut him up :grin: :facepalm:

Back