Dig it! My friend has a new toy

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
I'll hear it tonight.

Hand wired by Sewell.

I love the tolex. It matches my New Yorker.

4ac03543d50834cc1eeb3d6bd9409232.jpg

It sounded great.

There was something going on with the whole rig though.
I couldn't figure it out.

Right up in front of the rig, it sounded fine.
Back at my table, he seemed lost in the overall sound from the stage.

It was especially noticeable when he kicked on his Tumnus for a solo. It was like the amp moved into another room.

Usually, he fills the whole room with sound...to the point where the challenge is to get the rest of the band to match.
It's not necessarily a volume war thing, but it kind of turns into that and he usually wins.
Last night, he didn't catch up until the last set.

He usually has an all Orange rig.
With this he paired his Vox cab. He's used that cab in the past though and it was fine.
So, I'm a little stumped.

I think the PRS amp sounded great. He just needs to get things dialled in.
I think he needs to turf the Tumnus and put the second Silver Pony back on his board.

It may be a midrange thing. I find that when an amp (or player) tries to dial back the mids it can easily get lost in the mix. That's why a Marshall , for example cuts through. A great bedroom tone might not work in a band situation.
That said I've never heard a PRS amp so I'm just speculating.

It sounded great.

There was something going on with the whole rig though.
I couldn't figure it out.

Right up in front of the rig, it sounded fine.
Back at my table, he seemed lost in the overall sound from the stage.

It was especially noticeable when he kicked on his Tumnus for a solo. It was like the amp moved into another room.

Usually, he fills the whole room with sound...to the point where the challenge is to get the rest of the band to match.
It's not necessarily a volume war thing, but it kind of turns into that and he usually wins.
Last night, he didn't catch up until the last set.

He usually has an all Orange rig.
With this he paired his Vox cab. He's used that cab in the past though and it was fine.
So, I'm a little stumped.

I think the PRS amp sounded great. He just needs to get things dialled in.
I think he needs to turf the Tumnus and put the second Silver Pony back on his board.
That's strange. I agree that midrange is usually the key to cutting in a band mix situation. My Tumnus actually helps with that. He might just need to play with the amp a bit instance since what sounds great at home or without the band raging doesn't always work on stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I told him that he might have the level too low on the Tumnus and he tweaked it, but I kept having to tell him to give it more.

Level seemed fine without the Tumnus kicked in.

He seemed to finally get there by the third set and he was wondering if he was too loud. :)

The whole band seemed louder last night though. Which is weird because they've played this place a lot and have things dialled in pretty well.
Even the other guitar player was louder than usual, but that's not so bad because usually he's the one that gets drowned out on some songs.
The bass player spent the first song turning down - without being asked.

I told him that he might have the level too low on the Tumnus and he tweaked it, but I kept having to tell him to give it more.

Level seemed fine without the Tumnus kicked in.

He seemed to finally get there by the third set and he was wondering if he was too loud. :)

The whole band seemed louder last night though. Which is weird because they've played this place a lot and have things dialled in pretty well.
Even the other guitar player was louder than usual, but that's not so bad because usually he's the one that gets drowned out on some songs.
The bass player spent the first song turning down - without being asked.
Sometimes with a new amp that might be voiced considerably different that what you're used to if there is a lot of cut or presence already going on it's difficult to judge how loud you really are until
You get used to playing it in a few different live contexts.

Sometimes with a new amp that might be voiced considerably different that what you're used to if there is a lot of cut or presence already going on it's difficult to judge how loud you really are until
You get used to playing it in a few different live contexts.

Agreed.

He seemed perfectly happy with the sound on stage, and I was able to get up right next to him while he was playing and it sounded pretty good there.

Presence was one thing I wanted to suggest, but I don't think that amp has a control for it. It has very minimal controls- which can be a good thing.

They do mic their amps and put just a little bit into the mains. Tweaking that helped a bit, but the problem was really the drastic difference in level when he kicked on the Tumnus to add a little bit more gain.

I think he'll get it dialled in.
It's fun to be the guy in the crowd that they ask though. Every time.

Back