Mark's Music School Diary.

Piano test today. Prepare music played from memory (not a requirement, but I feel better not reading on a test if I can help it). Scales, arpeggios and chords - nailed. Harmonization, nails. Sight reading, oops.

Didn't bother looking at the key signature and sight read an entire piece in D minor in D major. Perfectly. Since it was right after I played D major and minor scales at the end of the previous section it must have just been on my mind. And since it was harmonic minor I saw D C#D A for the dirt notes and just went with it.

:markfacepalm:

Still got a 93.5% but what a stupid fucking mistake to lose 7% on.

Piano test today. Prepare music played from memory (not a requirement, but I feel better not reading on a test if I can help it). Scales, arpeggios and chords - nailed. Harmonization, nails. Sight reading, oops.

Didn't bother looking at the key signature and sight read an entire piece in D minor in D major. Perfectly. Since it was right after I played D major and minor scales at the end of the previous section it must have just been on my mind. And since it was harmonic minor I saw D C#D A for the dirt notes and just went with it.

Still got a 93.5% but what a stupid fucking mistake to lose 7% on.

Oops indeed. :embarrassed:

Fwiw I've done a few key signature fuckups myself. My sight reading skills went very quickly downhill after I finished my studying about 20 years ago, these days I mainly use chord charts... :embarrassed:

A little overwhelmed. Perhaps I overloaded myself this semester. I have a massive amount of work to do and not enough time in the day. My 282b piano class is kicking my ass. Even though I' getting an A itt takes a ton of practicing. Tests pretty much every other class and every third week is a major performance test. The other piano class I have no idea how we're going to be graded or when the tests are but he keeps piling o stuff. My music history class has a test on Thursday that covers Greek music in antiquity all the way through early polyphony and it's killing me. I barely practice guitar and I have a ton of work to do there too. Musicianship test today. Theory test yesterday. two horn and rhythm section arrangement of Black Orpheus due tomorrow in arranging. I'm just spinning this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whelp, the week is over.

Monday: 100% on a chromatic harmony test. somehow came up with an alternate yet correct analyzation of a Clara Shumann piano piece that the professor used as an example of how theory analysis can be kind of subjective.

Tuesday: musicianship test. haven't gotten the results yet but definitely not 100% I'll be excited to get a B.

Wednesday: Jazz arranging project due. teacher talks all period and never gets to mine. Kind of wish I had the hours I spent on my arrangement back to study for history test on Thursday. combo teacher demands that I bring more pedals (including a looper) to class to play some shitty squarepusher song. I go home and order a smaller pedalboard and decide to bring less shit to school. Had to play banjo for a staff event. Got paid with a $15 Coffe Bean gift card.

Thursday - surprise jazz piano test. no idea how I did. music history test. fucking bombed. just not enough time and with it all being Gregorian Chant, early organum, madrigals and motes (as well as the occasional estampie) I couldn't keep the names of all of the listening straight since it was all either in Latin, ancient Greek, French or German. Totally fucking embarrassed.

Next week I have a ton of piano tests. I should actually practice guitar a bit too.

21761641_10155880455387847_5716639921920894789_n.jpg

D1A45624-D8BF-4616-B6FF-5B768B2DA241.jpeg

Morning homework and study, have I
Mentioned that I hate having to play this Squarepusher tune?

I got a 78% on my musicianship test. It would have been higher but for some reason in the melodic dictation part I wrote a measure and a half a fourth higher (corectly transposed, mind you) than it was played.

Music history test comes back tomorrow. Not feeling good about that one at all.

Mojo, man...keep your head in the game, eyes on the prize, blah blah blah...

...feel free to vent off at me tomorrow night...:Wave:

So I actually got a B on the history test I was sure I failed. Apparently more than half of the class DID fail this test. I got a B on this week's piano test which is probably the lowest piano grade I've gotten so far. This semester I definitely over extended myself and just keeping up is a challenge. I'm not sure I'll keep the straight A's going this semester but I'm sure as hell going t try.

I'm also not playing as much guitar as I both want to and need to which is a big issue. Plus the lifestyle just got me in trouble with the doctor who crowned me "pre-diabetic". I need to work out eating healthy on the run better and somehow fit more exercise into my schedule. I'm to lose 30lbs this year and 50 overall. So no more stress eating :embarrassed:

I'm also not playing as much guitar as I both want to and need to which is a big issue. Plus the lifestyle just got me in trouble with the doctor who crowned me "pre-diabetic". I need to work out eating healthy on the run better and somehow fit more exercise into my schedule. I'm to lose 30lbs this year and 50 overall. So no more stress eating :embarrassed:
I got your back, Mark...

updates?

I've been following this thread for months before joining the site.
Went back to school myself last year to get an MBA. Why? I really don't know, but thought it would look good on the end of my name, lol

updates?

I've been following this thread for months before joining the site.
Went back to school myself last year to get an MBA. Why? I really don't know, but thought it would look good on the end of my name, lol
I'll type something up maybe tomorrow morning. It's been a very difficult semester and I have one combo director that I'm having serious issues with. I'm also playing way more piano than guitar right now just to keep my head above water which is really a drag.

I would have gotten a 99% in my piano performance check test from Friday except that the section where I had to transpose a melody for Eb tenor sax into concert key I played perfectly. A half step too high :facepalm: I ended up with an 84% instead.

Still waiting on my Music History and Musicianship midterms but my Chromatic Harmony was a 95%. I completely forgot about something we covered last Friday that was a direct drop in in the test and while my analysis mostly made sense it was 100% correct. I’ll take it though. Still sweating the other two grades. I still have another piano test on Wednesday (its never ending). Still trying to figure out how my term paper on Palestrina madrigals is going to work. I feel underwater on that one.

Currently typing before my arranging class and then ushering someone’s senior recital. I also need to learn tomorrows sightsinging examples tonight.

Back