Mark's Music School Diary.

A month later. I had great plans for woodshedding stuff for guitar, piano and musicianship for the next semester as well as building a solo acoustic guitar repertoire to augment my gigging schedule. Between my online history class, my new Afreican American Music Appreciation class, holidays, rock gigs, child care, a bathroom remodel that starts next week and a host of other shit I'll be lucky if I even remember how to play guitar in the fall. :annoyed:

I'm trying to reboot my schedule this week now that the holiday is over and Mrs W is back at work but today was spent helpling Mrs W with a project and then trying to get ahold of someone at school to find out where my student financial aid is:

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 4.24.17 PM.png

Whelp, on to homework before my next students arrive.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 2.30.05 PM.png

Back on track. So far I've practiced piano and sight singing. On to some guitar and then I need to work on my dictation. I hate this shit but in a month I'll be back at it and it will be chromatic movement, not diatonic harmony.

Most likely I will be piling on the piano this semester with both the final piano class (282b) which is what I need for my piano proficiency requirement and is pretty hard (a portion of the final is me preparing the accompaniment for a soloist) and Jazz/Commercial Keyboard which will take the place of one of my improv electives. So far my Fall semester will look like this:

Chromatic Musicianship
Chromatic Harmony (theory)
History 351b (early music history, mostly music from the middle ages)
Piano 282b
Jazz/Commercial Keyboard
Jazz/Commercial Arranging
Music 278 Production (where I have to usher and shit like that)
Guitar Combo
probable jazz combo
Big Band or Jazz Orchestra
Applied Music (which are my private lessons and Jury)

16 units. I'm already stressed out. Hopefully I can get certain things done or better before school starts so this is kind of like the "pre-season".

Still taking African-American Music Appreciation online and I got my A in History 101b this week for the first part of the summer session. I really hate taking these classes online but I don't have much of a choice if I want to get all of this done on time.

Besides my music curriculum I also have another SEVEN General Ed classes to take after this. It's like I never had a first college degree. I'm looking forward to "Stress Management". "American Government" should be a fucking hoot too. So far I've managed to get nothing lower than an A- in any class since I've started back at school in the Spring of 2016 at the Community College for my "Logic and Critical Thinking" class. My transfer GPA from my previous degree was 3.38 and I've got a 3.99 since I've returned so my "total" GPA is now up to 3.6 with everything added together.

I guess I'm just trying to psyche myself up. This will be a difficult semester and I also have to work up my Junior Recital program to be OK's in my fall jury in December so that I can perform the recital in the spring. Plus earn a living, be a dad and husband and maybe pet the dogs once in awhile.

Last week of general ed summer school. I got a 98% in my history class and I'm writing up the final for my African American Music Appreciation class this week and I'm currently getting a 94%. I'd be doing better but I wrote and a entire paper the first week on the wrong chapter in the professor's textbook :facepalm:. Guess I'll read the syllabus a little closer next time. He gave me 33% for a good job writing about the wrong chapter. Yay. That knocked me down a bit but I'm back on track. While I'm fucking tired of doing this online class shit (its been 3-4 hours a day all throughout the summer) I did learn a ton about music from this class even though it's not a music department class and is filling some sort of sociology or diversity requirement. Sadly that means my practicing on my actual instrument has been shit. I have two weeks before school starts to warm up and knock the rust off of my jazz playing.

Last week of general ed summer school. I got a 98% in my history class and I'm writing up the final for my African American Music Appreciation class this week and I'm currently getting a 94%. I'd be doing better but I wrote and a entire paper the first week on the wrong chapter in the professor's textbook :facepalm:. Guess I'll read the syllabus a little closer next time. He gave me 33% for a good job writing about the wrong chapter. Yay. That knocked me down a bit but I'm back on track. While I'm fucking tired of doing this online class shit (its been 3-4 hours a day all throughout the summer) I did learn a ton about music from this class even though it's not a music department class and is filling some sort of sociology or diversity requirement. Sadly that means my practicing on my actual instrument has been shit. I have two weeks before school starts to warm up and knock the rust off of my jazz playing.
good luck. how long before you have your B.A.?

good luck. how long before you have your B.A.?
two more fucking school years. I have an A.A. degree but it is so out of date they are pretty much making me take everything over except for a few GE classes. Thats why I'm cranking the GE out like this. I can't make the music school requirements go any faster than three years. I did get the first two years done last year though. Now I have to crank through each of the theory and history sequences in order.

two more fucking school years. I have an A.A. degree but it is so out of date they are pretty much making me take everything over except for a few GE classes. Thats why I'm cranking the GE out like this. I can't make the music school requirements go any faster than three years. I did get the first two years done last year though. Now I have to crank through each of the theory and history sequences in order.
:( moar mojo

It's funny that in about a week I'll be onto the first week of my second year of music school. I've done 33 units worth of classes with a 3.99 GPA while dealing with all of the other mayhem that comes with being a 47 year old returning student with two kids, a wife, a need to make a living and a house that has now had both inside and outside remodels this year.

Now that things are setting down I'm trying to woodshed as much as I can to get a rolling start into the semester. I had a plan for the whole summer that was shot to hell about three weeks in so I'm playing catchup a bit. This week I'm practicing both from the piano class textbooks and what I think might be the commercial/jazz keyboard class textbook (if it's not it is still good practice) and spending a ton of time on the guitar doing some of the jazz work I wanted to have ready for the fall semester. I'm also using a few different computer and iPad apps for a rolling start into my chromatic Musicianship class since that's the thing I struggle with the most. It's not final yet it I think I'll have 16 units of pure music this semester. Starting in the spring I need to catch up on another 7 GE classes that are required fro graduation. This semester I could have done one but I wanted to focus on my piano requirements, music production and my arranging requirement instead to crank them out of the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Second day starts today. Yesterday was a breeze with a new professor for Chromatic harmony that seems great and a return to Dr Klassens's piano class for my final semester there. Today I have Jazz piano, music history and chromatic musicianship and an ensemble audition later in the day.

From my arranging textbook:. I had a chuckle.

5402ebd9d7c9855fe16b7538715f5131.png

@Flamencology @Poparad.

Ensures, textbook copy editors. Ensures.

But yeah.

Start listening to lots of Ellington/Strayhorn, Bob Brookmeyer, Maria Schneider, Darcy James Argue, Carla Bley, Guillermo Klein, Gil Evans, the Mingus Big Band, the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra, the World Saxophone Quartet, Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy, Dave Douglas's Brass Ecstasy, and The Thelonious Monk Orchestra at Town Hall.

Ensures, textbook copy editors. Ensures.

But yeah.

Start listening to lots of Ellington/Strayhorn, Bob Brookmeyer, Maria Schneider, Darcy James Argue, Carla Bley, Guillermo Klein, Gil Evans, the Mingus Big Band, the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra, the World Saxophone Quartet, Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy, Dave Douglas's Brass Ecstasy, and The Thelonious Monk Orchestra at Town Hall.
That's what this class is all about. It'll be a fun semester.

That's the kind of treehouse shit that made me so glad I'm a punk.

Whenever I hear the words "use the music irresponsibly," that's when I reach for my revolver.

Back