Mark's Music School Diary.

Great work!

I told you a long time ago that older students were always my best students. It must feel good to know you can be an A student in a challenging program. You can forget about all those old demons of not feeling like a great college student.

The one thing is that this is more "life and death" to me. And some of it is my ego not wanting to look like a 46 year old fool and some of it is that I am taking classes that could potentially be my coworkers in a few years. I really need to do well if I want to give my career a bump.

You're 46?:eek:

Fuck me, I'm 6 years older than you...:(

Congrats on the GPA, though, that is some good work...you have every right to brag...:Wave:

DUDE. You're old enough to be my dad. And I have a 10-year-old.

I always thought you were a child Flame :Wave:

46 isn't even old Mark...not even to go back to school. I could never do it but a friend of my wife went back to get his doctor's degree in psychology. He was a neurosurgeon and because of RSI he couldn't do surgery any more...he was in his late 50's when he started again

I always thought you were a child Flame :Wave:

46 isn't even old Mark...not even to go back to school. I could never do it but a friend of my wife went back to get his doctor's degree in psychology. He was a neurosurgeon and because of RSI he couldn't do surgery any more...he was in his late 50's when he started again
Well, MY teacher is 63 and he went back for his masters at 48 IIRC. And because his previous major was philosophy he had to do all of the same remedial shit with the kids that I'm doing (and he had been a working musician like me but with more experience since he was a teenager). Its nice to have a mentor who has actually been through the same journey.

I do think that mature students do have many advantages.

But I also feel that these advantages are often partly negated by the fact that these same students are typically unable to commit to being a full-time student because, well, life.

But this isn't a career change for Mark. It's more intense, but if you're a performer, then education - both learning and teaching - is a lifestyle.

I

But this isn't a career change for Mark. It's more intense, but if you're a performer, then education - both learning and teaching - is a lifestyle.

I will say that going back to a "boot camp" style music education has been great for me. Self education is something I've always done but but having someone else set some standards and goals for me and be brutally honest has been the best. Not always fun but the discomfort of actual constructive criticism has been a great motivator.

First day of musicianship. Kind of nice to actually be "not terrible" at this stuff.

e531a99d23cb5749c5c8bd67f3c12b8b.jpg

Still a little bit of bureaucratic BS going on with my schedule but I might get the improv class I wanted if they move some other shit around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok...the first week of my second sememster of music school.

Classes:

Survey of Western Musical Literature (History)
Musicianship 2
Diatonic Theory 2
Mens Chorus
Guitar Combo
Jazz combo
Music Production and Performance (where the school gets free ushers for concerts essentially)
Applied Music (Private lessons)
Jazz Harmony and Analysis

I was supposed to have Jazz Improv II in there as well but they cancelled the theory class I signed up for and the replacement is at the same time. I'm pretty bummed about that.

So far in history we've discussed the Catholic church and covered the liturgy and mass so that we can understand the Plainchant and Gregorian chants that we are starting with this week.

Jazz Analysis we just took a placement test and then discussed it. easy.

Theory was review.
combos are not meeting yet this week.
Music Production has the only actual class meeeting next tuesday
Lessons start next week I think

Mens Chorus went well. I think we have a stronger group of voices and I requested a move up in part so they made me a baritone for the semester with the occasional loan to Bass 2 for the low notes. I'll post about that in a bit....

Back