My current rig....

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
You guys know what I've been playing through lately but now that I have the amp in a combo box with a new cab, the McFeely 454 and my current pedal situation with a month or twos worth of shows under my belt I've come to the following conclusions:

1. Love the Suhr Badger 30 best in this configuration with the Celestion Creamback. Sometimes I wish I had a more Fender-y sound for some things, but overall this is the best sounding amp I've ever owned. I'm actually running it a bit louder lately and not stacking pedals as much as I used to with my Deluxe Reverb or when I had the head and cab setup and my sounds are way better. The cab has a bit better defined low end (although not as much of it) and the lower wattage speaker still gives me enough clean headroom without it sounding thin with the master volume cranked down.

2. The McFeely 454 is a beast. Anything else I play with leaves me wishing I was playing the 454. Sonically it is very big and lively. Hopefully when the 440 gets its new neck it'll be comparable since the only thing I'm missing is the occasional strat neck pickup sound. I'm now a massive fan of Korina.

3. As far as pedals go, everything I'm using except for the Soul Food is perfect for my current needs. I'm using the Crosstown fuzz a little more too. The Strymon Mobius sounds killer for the 4 sounds (chorus, Phaser, Tremolo and Rotary Speaker) I use it for. Not sure if you can see it in the picture but I've actually stomped the 1st button on the left hard enough on the Mobius that I've dented the case :embarrassed:.

Since I'm not stacking pedals so much or just leaving the RC Booster on all night now I'm getting more use out of my compressor too.

The Soul Food is nice for what it is but I don't care for the coloration that it gives my sound. The RC Booster is very transparent and at some point I might just get a second one and put it in that spot in the chain for an overall boost. In the effects loop would be best for it but its a PITA (and additional stage mess on my smaller stages) running another set of cables every night.

As far as the reverb goes, I only really use it on quieter gigs. It totally mushes my sounds out at high volumes although I would have probably have used it at the OC Fair since it was so dry with no reflections where we played that day.

by Mark Wein on MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com

by Mark Wein on MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com

With the RC Booster on for the whole song and the Wampler EGO compressor on for solos:

Strymon Mobius for the tremolo sound and Crosstown fuzz for the solo:

Amp clean for the rhythm and it looks like I had the RC Booster and SParkledrive Mod stacked for the solo:

Sparkledrive MOD on the whole time and I just volume-knobbed the clean sound:

Clean for the rhythm and compressor and RC Booster stacked for the solo:

My tone on this gig could have been helped with a little bit of the analog delay or the reverb but I didn't want to mess with it on the fly and there was no actual sound check....figured it was safer to go without although it made playing a little harder.

You have the gain on the Pinnacle cranked way higher than I use it. That's some brownage going on there!

You have the gain on the Pinnacle cranked way higher than I use it. That's some brownage going on there!
I only use it for my really high gain sounds...the Sparkledrive MOD does a great mid-gain rhythm sound and stacked with the RC Booster its kind of a nice classic Marshall sound with a little extra low end chunk. The Pinnacle is for any 80's hairmetal in the cover band set.

So do you find the korina gives huge midrange bump? I had that Luczak that was all korina neck and body and with the wrong pickups that guitar was all midrange, but with the right kind of scooped pickups, it was very even an resonant.

So do you find the korina gives huge midrange bump? I had that Luczak that was all korina neck and body and with the wrong pickups that guitar was all midrange, but with the right kind of scooped pickups, it was very even an resonant.
I think its pretty balanced but it definitely has some extra presence in the mids. I wish I could bring it to P-stock for you guys to try....its really a remarkable sounding instrument.

Yep, the Soul Food colors my amp clean tones and stacked gain pedal tones a bit too much, even when used as a boost instead of using the gain side. The tone set to 1 or 2 O'clock helps.

I'll check out the videos from home later.

Yep, the Soul Food colors my amp clean tones and stacked gain pedal tones a bit too much, even when used as a boost instead of using the gain side. The tone set to 1 or 2 O'clock helps.

I'll check out the videos from home later.
I've been setting the tone more to 10 or 11 o'clock. Still not digging it in this context. I'm only using the pedal as a clean boost though.

I've been setting the tone more to 10 or 11 o'clock. Still not digging it in this context. I'm only using the pedal as a clean boost though.

It varies a bit from guitar or pickup type for me. Hmmmm, I think it's time for more research! :grin:

Very cool. The 454 is definitely a great guitar and I'm thrilled it's working out so well for ya. I'm about done with the soul food for the moment. Going to swap back to the Fatboost for a bit. I never put the tone over 10 or 11 o'clock. Just too much high end for me. And the switch is acting up a little. I love that Suhr amp.

Very cool. The 454 is definitely a great guitar and I'm thrilled it's working out so well for ya. I'm about done with the soul food for the moment. Going to swap back to the Fatboost for a bit. I never put the tone over 10 or 11 o'clock. Just too much high end for me. And the switch is acting up a little. I love that Suhr amp.
I'd be tempted to get a Fatboost...from what I remember it works like the RC Booster. I'm just not a fan of Fulltone after some of the stories I've heard about the owner...I still have my Fulltone Wah though...

Nice. :)

As far as your cabling issue... Ever think about making a snake with three cables so you alleviate that sort of cabling mess? Probably what I'll end up doing if I used the effects loop in the Bugera.

Nice. :)

As far as your cabling issue... Ever think about making a snake with three cables so you alleviate that sort of cabling mess? Probably what I'll end up doing if I used the effects loop in the Bugera.
I've done that in the past. I guess I could do it again, I'm just trying to keep things simpler....

I use the Soul Food as a clean boost out of my RAT. I go tuner>RAT>Soul Food> HOF> Morley Volume.

Sounds like you are 1 pedal away....from being 1 pedal away again. :tongue:

The extra cabling is what has kept me away from ever using an effects loop. I bet it would sound better using it for some pedals, but not enough for the extra work and by the time it goes through the PA and is mixed with everything else, there is probably no noticeable difference.

Sounds like you are 1 pedal away....from being 1 pedal away again. :tongue:

The extra cabling is what has kept me away from ever using an effects loop. I bet it would sound better using it for some pedals, but not enough for the extra work and by the time it goes through the PA and is mixed with everything else, there is probably no noticeable difference.
Honestly I could do without the second boost 95% of the time. All Star Trio gets so loud during the last set of a show at the Blue Beet that it becomes necessary though. I usually try to keep from continually cranking my amp up all night and if I can just boost a few parts during the "whoremageddon" part of the night then the rest of the time I'm not contributing to the volume wars.

Honestly I could do without the second boost 95% of the time. All Star Trio gets so loud during the last set of a show at the Blue Beet that it becomes necessary though. I usually try to keep from continually cranking my amp up all night and if I can just boost a few parts during the "whoremageddon" part of the night then the rest of the time I'm not contributing to the volume wars.

Can't you just get an amp that goes to 11? Then when you need that extra push over the cliff, 11.

Back