my current board!

You know ... The Vertex Dynamic distortion (slash - Analogman SD-9) fuzzes out nicely... I just don't know of any @smurfco stuff that requires fuzz.

Long time listener, first time caller. Love the show. Was the SD-9 a tubescreamer with more distortion or is the circuit different? Thanks!

Long time listener, first time caller. Love the show. Was the SD-9 a tubescreamer with more distortion or is the circuit different? Thanks!

haahhaha

That's amazing.

They look almost identical except for the clipping sections. Based on the GGG schematic it's moved out of the feedback loop in the SD9. I would guestimate that they reduced the drive pot to 250k too.

upload_2016-8-3_9-33-32.png

upload_2016-8-3_9-33-51.png

It does have a more distortion ring to it as well. Like the (I'm 90% sure it's a direct copy of the modded SD9) dynamic distortion... you can set the controls and use the knob to go from clean, to distortion, to a warm fuzz. It's pretty neat. I picked up the Analogman on the eBays for about $100. Lance at GearTalk has mine - I could probably ship it up if you want to mess around with it.

haahhaha

That's amazing.

They look almost identical except for the clipping sections. Based on the GGG schematic it's moved out of the feedback loop in the SD9. I would guestimate that they reduced the drive pot to 250k too.

View attachment 28675

View attachment 28676

It does have a more distortion ring to it as well. Like the (I'm 90% sure it's a direct copy of the modded SD9) dynamic distortion... you can set the controls and use the knob to go from clean, to distortion, to a warm fuzz. It's pretty neat. I picked up the Analogman on the eBays for about $100. Lance at GearTalk has mine - I could probably ship it up if you want to mess around with it.

Nah, I'm just interested in how pedals work and I don't quite understand schematics. So by taking the clipping section out of the feedback loop, it creates a harder distortion instead of a soft clip? Is that correct?

Nah, I'm just interested in how pedals work and I don't quite understand schematics. So by taking the clipping section out of the feedback loop, it creates a harder distortion instead of a soft clip? Is that correct?

Thread Hi-Jack :: In the tubescreamer, the diodes clip as the signal is amplified (increase the gain). The voltage across the diode causes it to clip and influence the gain... You have to put a certain voltage across them to get them to 'turn on'...

I'm going to make a big assumption here... They move the diodes out of the gain circuit and amplify the signal signal first.. then push it through the clipping section to produce the distortion (as you surmised).

I believe this is the equivalent of moving your boost pedal before or after your OD/distortion pedal. Same pedals but the order affects the sound.

Anyone else feel free to step in a say I'm wrong.

Thread Hi-Jack :: In the tubescreamer, the diodes clip as the signal is amplified (increase the gain). The voltage across the diode causes it to clip and influence the gain... You have to put a certain voltage across them to get them to 'turn on'...

I'm going to make a big assumption here... They move the diodes out of the gain circuit and amplify the signal signal first.. then push it through the clipping section to produce the distortion (as you surmised).

I believe this is the equivalent of moving your boost pedal before or after your OD/distortion pedal. Same pedals but the order affects the sound.

Anyone else feel free to step in a say I'm wrong.

If you're correct, then I might consider the SD-9.

Back