My big amp exchange.

I've never really cared for Mesa. I had a rack system in the early 90's with a Studio Preamp and never really got along with it. I tried a students 5:25 and didn't feel too comfortable with it either. Having said that I've been watching a bunch of Andy Timmons and digging what he does with the Lonestars:

Cool. It took me a while to dial in the express. The eq is touchy and not very forgiving.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1465589243.615280.jpg

Just got the deluxe back from Kevin Nelson. He discovered that part of my problem was that some moron had put the wrong tube in the reverb driver spot. That helped immensely. It actually sounds really good but it's got a grounding thing going on with my archtop. I'm going to play some of my other guitars with it but I'm most likely going to keep it now. He also replaced the power tunes and the rectifier and did an all around service/ cleaning of the amp. Big difference.

You are such a fickle little ***** when it comes to that amp.
Well, when it sounds good it sounds REALLY good. It's been down enough times that it makes me nervous to gig with it. I'm hoping this service will hold it though. I might take it back to him to have the grounding checked though. I tried it at both my house and the studio today with a couple of different guitars (and those guitars through other amps into the same power strip) and there is an obvious issue with it.

I think you're thinking Marshall Crenshaw (who this class also plays). This is "can't find my way home" by Blind Faith. :)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking more Marshall Tucker Band "Can't You See" the biggest non-Jethro Tull flute song in rock history.

Last edited:
You are such a fickle little ***** when it comes to that amp.

I'm pretty happy. I think my rig for tomorrow will be this amp, the Mojo Hand FX Rook that I'm using for the solo and the MXR Carbon Copy for a little slap delay on a song or two. And the onboard reverb and tremolo.

Love the look on that dogs face when the drummer starts. :lol:

Sounds really good, btw. :thu:
Thanks!

I didn't realize that Jed was in the room until I saw the video. I expected both dogs to hide in the back yard but Jack spent the whole time here in the living room.

Back