My big amp exchange.

Seems odd that you have to repair the old Fender so often. Is your tech perhaps missing something?
No, it's just got a few thousand gigs on it and the techs around here try to fix whatever the problem is without sacrificing as much of the original amp as possible. So that means the insides are a patchwork of small fixes by at least four techs that I've used and who knows how many before.if I had someone "blueprint" the amp and replace everything it would end up being a completely different sounding amp anyway.

I'm sorry if I was a bit testy. been a long week and I apologize.

I'd like to get a new silverface Deluxe because all of the problems I'm having with my current one come from relying on a 45 year old amplifier. While the new one won't sound the same it should do the job in a similar fashion and I can afford it if the
'71 goes for what I think it's worth. I think you're right about the AC15 but I still want to give it a try.

I recall someone rebuilding all of the BF/SF's to Point to Point wiring. May cost a few hundred more but the P2P is significant in capturing that authentic sound. Something about the fishboard circuit board and how the components react to each other is much different than just a printed circuit board. Just some thoughts, that is all.

At one time I even considered a Polytone for that jazz clean sound but I too did not want to invest in an old amp that may have issues.

I'm sorry if I was a bit testy. been a long week and I apologize.

I'd like to get a new silverface Deluxe because all of the problems I'm having with my current one come from relying on a 45 year old amplifier. While the new one won't sound the same it should do the job in a similar fashion and I can afford it if the
'71 goes for what I think it's worth. I think you're right about the AC15 but I still want to give it a try.
i have a good friend in la who is looking to sell his ac15. if you want to test drive one, let me know

Do you like the SF Deluxe better than the '68 Series? I really love that '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb. :love:

Do you like the SF Deluxe better than the '68 Series? I really love that '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb. :love:

When my amp is working it's my favorite amp in the world.

The '68 Silverface Deluxe in the video (the reissue) is what I think will work for me although I do need to go play through one again to be sure. I need a 1x12 combo.

One is entitled to what they want. All I offered was: "Something easy to carry around that just gets me a nice clean sound for an archtop:". If what I suggested doesn't meet your requirements, no biggie.

Personally I have never found the AC15 to be that clean and getting another SF Deluxe has me confused. I understand that you have had so many problems with your current one. As for the DV, I have no clue - never heard of them.
Greg Howe plays DV amps. That's all I know about them.

The AC15 is an awesome amp. I just sold mine because of the move, but once we get settled, I'll probably get the head version. The combo is pretty heavy, well heavy for my scrawny frame, but it shouldn't bother you.

Butler Sound Chicago Blues Box Buddy Guy Limited Edition. Buddy was having the same kind of reliability problems you are with his 59 Bassman. So he had Butler build these. Buddy's tech has said they are problem free on the road. Butler built 50. Number 14 is on Reverb for $2250.

Butler Sound Chicago Blues Box Buddy Guy Limited Edition. Buddy was having the same kind of reliability problems you are with his 59 Bassman. So he had Butler build these. Buddy's tech has said they are problem free on the road. Butler built 50. Number 14 is on Reverb for $2250.
already sold. A bit large and expensive for my current needs, too. I'd love to give it a spin though.

Even though I had to scrap the purchase due to wedding costs, I really liked the Vintage Sound amps. The Deluxe Reverb clone ran around $1700...you can find them used a little cheaper.

I really can't say enough about the Tech 21 Trademark 60 either. I've been gigging with a Deluxe Reverb RI but something's not right with it and had to plug into the regular channel for the last gig. I know the distortion channel on the Trademark 60 is not the greatest but it works for that 70's hard rock stuff. Anything else you need to use pedals on the clean channel and depending on the pedal it can sound like ass or sound really good. The clean channel does kick ass though especially for jazzy type stuff that I'm practicing...at least to my ears.

I really like the amps you posted though. The 68 DRRI's are really nice. I think once you sell your stuff, the fun part will be shopping for an amp and trying different stuff out. Maybe you should buy that Silver Jubilee :)

Have you considered a MESA? I've been using my Express 5:25 for everything from country, blues and hard rock - doesn't miss a beat. I have the 1x12 older version w/o the graphic EQ - not too heavy and fairly small. Plenty loud, good tones at low vol. The clean channel is downright sparkly.

Have you considered a MESA? I've been using my Express 5:25 for everything from country, blues and hard rock - doesn't miss a beat. I have the 1x12 older version w/o the graphic EQ - not too heavy and fairly small. Plenty loud, good tones at low vol. The clean channel is downright sparkly.
I've never really cared for Mesa. I had a rack system in the early 90's with a Studio Preamp and never really got along with it. I tried a students 5:25 and didn't feel too comfortable with it either. Having said that I've been watching a bunch of Andy Timmons and digging what he does with the Lonestars:

I've never really cared for Mesa. I had a rack system in the early 90's with a Studio Preamp and never really got along with it. I tried a students 5:25 and didn't feel too comfortable with it either. Having said that I've been watching a bunch of Andy Timmons and digging what he does with the Lonestars:

It's a shame they stopped marking the Mark I reissue. That was the only Mesa I really liked. It sounded like an old Fender with a little extra balls.

Back