My 1st trip to a hot sauce store and a "Thank you" for Chihilidog

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
We went to Long Beach today just to walk around and I got to check out "Hot Licks", a hot sauce specialty store. The lady running the place was nice enough to let me try a bunch of hot sauces, salsas and BBQ sauces.

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

And this is what I ended up bringing home.

IMG_2004.jpg

I originally only got one bottle of the Hula Girl (Thanks Chihili...I wouldn't have know to try it) but when I put a little on some nachos I had gotten as a snack I had to get a second bottle....its REALLY good...

The Salsa is for my wife...the Steak Sauce was really good so I got that too....the prices were a little high so I stopped at that smi

I thought I had them already :embarrassed:

Actually the "Hottest Fuckin' Sauce" was $25.00 for the bottle so I figured all of that stuff was ridiculously overpriced...

that place looks great! the steak sauce looks interesting....would like a full report on that! eat0

warren0728 said:
that place looks great! the steak sauce looks interesting....would like a full report on that! eat0

It was pretty cool...we actually found my new favorite BBQ place in town called "Famous Dave's) so we'll probably be back there on a regular basis biggrin

btw I just picked up some Tapatio for you this morning...the one thing I didn't see there....

Its not super hot but I really dig the flavor....I have quart bottles both at home and work :embarrassed:

Looks like those prices are in line here overseas, which are sticker shocker prices. Maybe one bottle a year just to get away from the watered down Tabasco Hot Sauce is worth paying the high price, but $25 for a bottle forget it :mad:

that is way too much for a condiment. I can get a small bottle of El Yucateco for about a buck and a half around here and they wanted $4.50 or so for it...

It's $25 per gallon, if I'm reading it right. $3.75 for 8 ounces. Think deep, rich, dimensional Tabasco. Kind of like one of your Suhrs vs. its off-the-rack standard Fender counterpart.

:i:

I had to go back and look at the web page...that is a TON of garlic biggrin

It might end up on my short list.....

Mark,

Did you go to Famous Dave's down there on Pine Street next to the Aquarium ?

That place is frickin awesome. (I liked it better than Lucilles)

We were waiting for a table at PF Changes right next store one night and decided for BBQ instead.

I got to sit through a 2 hr movie with a gut full of swine. !

Its pretty interesting, i was at the Ontario Mills mall over the weekend, Friday i think it was, over where the 10 and 15 meet, leaving the mall i saw a restaraunt called "Famous Dave's" and i was sitting there at the light wondering what it was.

Now i know. hahahaha.

dude it's finger lickin !

Seriously, I was very impressed with both their pulled pork and their ribs both. I was surprised I could find good barq in SoCal.

The Lucille's place is ok, it's just not on par with ole Famous Dave's

I'll definately try it next time im in the area. i just found it funny that its the first time i noticed it, and took the time to wonder what it was, then presto, two days later its discussed. hahaha.

is this a great forum or what. hahaha.

Phil051300 said:
Its pretty interesting, i was at the Ontario Mills mall over the weekend, Friday i think it was, over where the 10 and 15 meet, leaving the mall i saw a restaraunt called "Famous Dave's" and i was sitting there at the light wondering what it was.

Now i know. hahahaha.

If its the same thing its REALLY good...

Man... now I'm going to have to make a trip to Long Beach when I get home.

I almost wish there weren't people who liked hot sauce like me. Or that I hadn't wandered in here.

Back