My 1st trip to a hot sauce store and a "Thank you" for Chihilidog

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Mark Wein, Nov 28, 2008.

Nov 28, 2008
  1. Mark Wein :mad:

We went to Long Beach today just to walk around and I got to check out "Hot Licks", a hot sauce specialty store. The lady running the place was nice enough to let me try a bunch of hot sauces, salsas and BBQ sauces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what I ended up bringing home.

[​IMG]

I originally only got one bottle of the Hula Girl (Thanks Chihili...I wouldn't have know to try it) but when I put a little on some nachos I had gotten as a snack I had to get a second bottle....its REALLY good...

The Salsa is for my wife...the Steak Sauce was really good so I got that too....the prices were a little high so I stopped at that smi

2. Nov 28, 2008
  3. platypus crab bucket

how could you not get the hottest fuckin nuts? biggrin

4. Nov 28, 2008
  5. Mark Wein :mad:

I thought I had them already :weebz:

Actually the "Hottest Fuckin' Sauce" was $25.00 for the bottle so I figured all of that stuff was ridiculously overpriced...

6. Nov 28, 2008
  7. warren0728 n00b

that place looks great! the steak sauce looks interesting....would like a full report on that! eat0

8. Nov 29, 2008
  9. Mark Wein :mad:

It was pretty cool...we actually found my new favorite BBQ place in town called "Famous Dave's) so we'll probably be back there on a regular basis biggrin

btw I just picked up some Tapatio for you this morning...the one thing I didn't see there....

10. Nov 29, 2008
  11. warren0728 n00b

drool0 drool0 drool0

12. Nov 29, 2008
  13. Mark Wein :mad:

Its not super hot but I really dig the flavor....I have quart bottles both at home and work :weebz:

14. Nov 29, 2008
  15. FMC+ n00b

16. Nov 29, 2008
  17. hobo simple guitar player

Looks like those prices are in line here overseas, which are sticker shocker prices. Maybe one bottle a year just to get away from the watered down Tabasco Hot Sauce is worth paying the high price, but $25 for a bottle forget it :mad:

18. Nov 29, 2008
  19. Mark Wein :mad:

that is way too much for a condiment. I can get a small bottle of El Yucateco for about a buck and a half around here and they wanted $4.50 or so for it...

20. Nov 29, 2008
  21. Mark Wein :mad:

22. Nov 29, 2008
  23. FMC+ n00b

It's $25 per gallon, if I'm reading it right. $3.75 for 8 ounces. Think deep, rich, dimensional Tabasco. Kind of like one of your Suhrs vs. its off-the-rack standard Fender counterpart.

24. Nov 29, 2008
  25. Mark Wein :mad:

:i:

I had to go back and look at the web page...that is a TON of garlic biggrin

It might end up on my short list.....

26. Dec 1, 2008
  27. Eminence_Front Osiris Chickenfingers

Mark,

Did you go to Famous Dave's down there on Pine Street next to the Aquarium ?

That place is frickin awesome. (I liked it better than Lucilles)

We were waiting for a table at PF Changes right next store one night and decided for BBQ instead.

I got to sit through a 2 hr movie with a gut full of swine. !

28. Dec 1, 2008
  29. Phil513 n00b

Its pretty interesting, i was at the Ontario Mills mall over the weekend, Friday i think it was, over where the 10 and 15 meet, leaving the mall i saw a restaraunt called "Famous Dave's" and i was sitting there at the light wondering what it was.

Now i know. hahahaha.

30. Dec 1, 2008
  31. Eminence_Front Osiris Chickenfingers

dude it's finger lickin !

Seriously, I was very impressed with both their pulled pork and their ribs both. I was surprised I could find good barq in SoCal.

The Lucille's place is ok, it's just not on par with ole Famous Dave's

32. Dec 1, 2008
  33. Phil513 n00b

I'll definately try it next time im in the area. i just found it funny that its the first time i noticed it, and took the time to wonder what it was, then presto, two days later its discussed. hahaha.

is this a great forum or what. hahaha.

34. Dec 1, 2008
  35. Mark Wein :mad:

If its the same thing its REALLY good...

36. Dec 3, 2008
  37. Willey n00b

Man... now I'm going to have to make a trip to Long Beach when I get home.

I almost wish there weren't people who liked hot sauce like me. Or that I hadn't wandered in here.

38. Dec 3, 2008
  39. Mark Wein :mad:

biggrin

You should see what I keep the fridge at the store these days :weebz: