My 15 year old wants a drum kit

Looks like I can pick something up for around $500. She watched the Beware of Mr. Baker documentary with me and now all she wants is drums. I told her how Kofi Baker used to come to the shop when he lived in Orange.

Find a local drummer who can help you buy used. There’s always great drum deals on Craigslist, but there’s even more shit, so you’ll need help to not end up with a damaged beginner kit.

The thing you have to remember is that the $1,000 has to include the hardware and cymbals as well. Most new and used drums will be sold as "shell packs," meaning only the drums and the necessary mounting hardware. The bass drum pedal, throne, high-hat stand, and any other cymbal stands will be extra, as will the cymbals. There are budget cymbal packs available that will get him started, and it isn't necessary to get all top quality hardware, but don't scimp too much, as the experience of play is diminished on drums, as it is on guitar, when you go too cheap.

Decent starter sets can be had, but you will find more value in the used market. Some people even sell drums, hardware, and cymbals together.

Find a local drummer who can help you buy used. There’s always great drum deals on Craigslist, but there’s even more shit, so you’ll need help to not end up with a damaged beginner kit.
I don't want to hang out with a drummer, yuck
The thing you have to remember is that the $1,000 has to include the hardware and cymbals as well. Most new and used drums will be sold as "shell packs," meaning only the drums and the necessary mounting hardware. The bass drum pedal, throne, high-hat stand, and any other cymbal stands will be extra, as will the cymbals. There are budget cymbal packs available that will get him started, and it isn't necessary to get all top quality hardware, but don't scimp too much, as the experience of play is diminished on drums, as it is on guitar, when you go too cheap.

Decent starter sets can be had, but you will find more value in the used market. Some people even sell drums, hardware, and cymbals together.

She won't play someone's used drums, she's a germiphobe. So I'll just have to spend more money

I'm a fan of Gretsch drums. I had a Catalina Club kit years ago and loved it.

I totally agree with the quality of Gretsch drums. I have a 6 piece Catalina Maple, and 4 piece Jazz sized Catalina Elite (older set that was used). I hadn't really thought about it, but the Catalina Club kits would be sized well for a younger player, and they sell near the $650 level.

My Catalina Elite kit is the forerunner to the Catalina Club kit, so here's a picture that can give you idea of the size of the Jazz sized drums. I'm 5'11".

IMGP0324.jpg

No way I am bringing an abomination like that into my home

your ears will thank you :grin: Trust me, my kit is in the basement and I hear the kids on it 2 floors up in my office like I am in the same room with them. That said, I went for an acoustic kit instead of an electronic. Another plus for the electronic, if you ever want to record, they have a USB out, so no mic-ing and messing with drum sounds for hours.

No way I am bringing an abomination like that into my home
your ears will thank you :grin: Trust me, my kit is in the basement and I hear the kids on it 2 floors up in my office like I am in the same room with them. That said, I went for an acoustic kit instead of an electronic. Another plus for the electronic, if you ever want to record, they have a USB out, so no mic-ing and messing with drum sounds for hours.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Kid + drums = HOLY FUCKING HOW DID YOU FIND THE BROWN NOTE ON THE DRUMS!!!

I would rather stand in front of a cranked 100 watt full stack with my ear against the grill cloth than listen to a kid who's never played drums bang the shit out of them.

You gotta start on a real kit. I have a very nice digital keyboard in my studio, and the out-of-tune piano in the living room still gets way more play--you just don't FEEL it unless it's really moving air. I plug in the keyboard for recording, but the extra steps and cords just kill the mood when it comes time to sit down and play. Get a real kit. At the very least, they've got these super-skinny rims (can't remember what they're called) that don't sound great, but they've got the feel of a real drum kit at about 1/4 the volume. Easy to pack up, too.

If she's serious about playing, don't buy an electronic kit. You'd need to spend about four times your budget to get one that feels or sounds even reasonably real.

If you have to buy new, go for a mid-level import kit from any of the major brands. It really doesn't matter. Everyone has their favorites. They're all pretty decent these days - Pearl, Gretsch, Tama, Mapex, DW (Pacific). Just stay away from the cheapest kits. All budget cymbals suck. I recommend the Sabian B8 Pro kit. It sucks less than the rest.

I have a nice set of Istanbul Agop Xist cymbals I'd sell you. I have a really nice Yamaha Kabuto snare too. I went all electric because of the neighbors.

Back