MWGL Official Breaking Bad Thread

Yeah, the plane crash is a bit of a stretch. I guess he did kill the dude's daughter. That whole plot ark, with all the bear/eye in the pool foreshadowing and symbolism, seemed a bit unnecessary.

Obviously, the Jane and plane crash arcs were at one time going to be more important to the overall story, but for whatever reason they were abandoned.. Remember all of the foreshadowing on the scenes where the NTSB folks were investigating, and the two body bags were in the White's driveway. They showed this scene several times.

Obviously, the Jane and plane crash arcs were at one time going to be more important to the overall story, but for whatever reason they were abandoned.. Remember all of the foreshadowing on the scenes where the NTSB folks were investigating, and the two body bags were in the White's driveway. They showed this scene several times.

It may be because they did not know how long the show was going to continue, and they may have had an alternate direction depending on the commitment they would receive. Gilligan has said often (and again after the finale) that the last episode of S4 was actually a possible finale, again depending on whether they were going to be green-lighted to continue.

A week out from the finale, and I'm still convinced that this was the greatest show of all time. With a perfectly appropriate ending. I don't think it was the best finale of all time, but I think it was the best finale a show like this could have. Does that make sense?

A week out from the finale, and I'm still convinced that this was the greatest show of all time. With a perfectly appropriate ending. I don't think it was the best finale of all time, but I think it was the best finale a show like this could have. Does that make sense?

Absolutely.

IMO, the finale was great, and that it was appropriate; however, how it unfolded was not entirely unexpected, save for maybe the scene with the Grey Matter couple. Still, overall, best drama ever, and possibly the best show, period.

I still hold that the finale of "The Shield" was somewhat better, if only because there were still a couple of jaw-dropping surprises left in it, especially the scene where Vic, as low as he could go at times throughout the series, went WAY low in the finale...that and the final, heartbreaking scene with Shane and his family...

Last edited:
Very, very good show but I think all this best show ever stuff is a bit overblown. Personally prefer The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood and Six Feet Under overall.

Very, very good show but I think all this best show ever stuff is a bit overblown. Personally prefer The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood and Six Feet Under overall.

Thread crapper.

Oh, and... hai :Wave:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

Out of those, my favorite far-and-away was Deadwood, and to this day I still have not forgiven HBO for killing it. If it ran for another couple of seasons, it may be right there with BB.

The rest? I enjoyed the Sopranos, but it got really inconsistent after S3. Have not seen much of The Wire, and 6FU IMO just became near-unwatchable the last two seasons.

Couldn't agree more. I think that the last episode, season 1 of Deadwood is the greatest single episode of TV ever. It began to lose its way a bit with the acting troupe, but in the final analysis I think it was just too expensive. I'm sure that GoT has far surpassed that in terms of budget, but I know people who sign up for HBO when GoT is on, and then drop it when it's off. I don't recall Deadwood ever having that kind of following, so I guess they can afford it.

I still that The Wire beats out BB by a hair, but it's awfully close. Frankly, to be talking about a basic cable (or non-premium cable) show as right up there with The Wire is pretty amazing. Hell, BB may even be better, I can't decide, but it was an amazing show that always delivered.

Yep. Wow. Just finished it. Wow. That was...I don't know of any other show that tied up that many loose ends in such a short amount of time appropriately.

Damn incredible show from start to finish. It trumps all others in my viewing experience. I think...I think if Carnivale was given another season or two, it would have met or exceeded that, that was the only show that reached this level to me, but Breaking Bad was incredible.

Anyone still watching Treme by the way? I stopped after Season 1 for some reason.

I think the reason I prefer The Wire, Sopranos et al is the way shows written by those writers made you think about an episode for hours after watching it. A little more sociopolitical in the writing style just by nature of the subject matter. I think BB is easily the best show in its format and does have some pretty heavy themes itself, but thinking about some of the heartbreaking moments on those two shows still makes me shiver.

I just had a dream that I was watching a post-Breaking Bad TV series. There's this hot medic girl who's in the ambulance with Walter White's body after the finale, and she's all obsessed with him as a figure of power, so she later goes to the morgue and steals his balls (because he's got big ones) and has them bronzed, which she keeps by her nightstand. She then stalks down Flynn/Walt Jr. and marries him to get to Walt Sr's money. Flash forward to a scene where she's breaking bacon over eggs in the shape of a "32" for Walt Jr.'s birthday. She learns of the Nazis and goes to their compound and discovers clues to where the other $70 million might be buried.

Walter-White-Obiturary-Albuquerque-Journal-500x413.jpg

Mrs. Roach and I just started Season 1 of Breaking Bad. We really like it, although it does get pretty heavy at times, like with the cancer intervention episode.

Unfortunately that means I can't read this thread for fear of spoilers. Just wanted to stake out my place here at the cool table...

Back