MWGL Fit Club

Erin and I did our Olympic Weightlifting class this morning, followed by the regular crossfit and Yoga classes. Now we are of to the park to walk Zoe.

Holy crap. I haven't checked into this one in over 2.5 years.

I'm glad it still here as a historical record for me to look back on. I can't believe how long it has been. My exercise routine now is just habit. I enjoy my time at the gym.

Starting back in 2010, after a year of exercising for a minimum of three hours per week. Averaged probably 3.5 -4 hours per week my progress stalled. My triglycerides stopped falling.

Almost exactly two and a half years ago I upped my minimum target to 5 hours per week. In the last two and a half years I have only failed to reach my target 4 times. Two of those weeks I didn't exercise because I was on vacation and two weeks I fell a few hours short due to illness. It is just a habit now. I start my week planning my exercise around all my kids activities for the week. I haven't exercised less than 5 hours in almost a full year.

My triglycerides were 500-600 4 years ago. I began exercising 3-4 hours per week and dropped then to about 400. After I started putting in 5 hours minimum they fell to about 350 and stopped falling. About a year ago I started a 5:2 fasting diet (near-fast 2 days a week--600 cal/day-- then eat what ever I want the other 5 days) my triglycerides fell to 180 in three months!

I have completely transformed my body from where I was 4 or 5 years ago. I can tell people treat me differently (sad commentary of our society). Women flirt with me now. Its been a while since that has happened. ;-)

I still weigh about 255 lbs but I feel I only need to lose another 20 lbs. I'm very muscular. I think I would have a washboard stomach at about 230lb. I don't really care so much about my weight as I have done about all I care to do to hopefully extend my life to the point where I will know my future grand children. I still mostly eat what I want.

My wife has really jumped on the exercise bandwagon with me lately and seems to be making a real difference in her life also. I think I've also shown my kids what hard work can do.

oh you guys are going to hate me :P

I'm almost 55, I weigh the same as I did in college (maybe a tad heavier due to more upper body strength). I don't diet and never have. I do go to the gym very religiously since I tore up my knee and started going for rehab. It started as rehab and became a habit. I don't/can't run because my knees are trashed but I do ride which has resulted in a different problem for me...if I lose weight due to being sick it is very difficult for me to gain it back. I lost 10 lbs over Xmas because I didn't go to the gym and rode a couple of hundred miles and I still haven't gained the weight back in spite of trying. I have a lot of trouble overeating seems like I have a small volume stomach naturally (except for spaghetti I can eat a ton of that :grin:). I don't eat poorly but I never worry about what I eat (potato chips are a Ok by me especially with beer :thu:)

OTOH women don't flirt with me...I think I'm too old to flirt or they know my wife would kill them (some kind of female ESP :shrug:). The nurses at the blood clinic do love me though because they could find a vein blindfolded.

I know I am very fortunate to both be generically wired to be thinner and motivated to stay in shape. If my legs/shoulders get weak I have a lot more problems due to issues with my neck and knees and keeping the muscles strong and tight saves me from a lot of pain. Now in 15 more years I might be a real mess...or be partly bionic

Thanks to working days, I'm in much better shape now than I was a year ago. Hell, even better than just a month ago. My riding average speed is 20-22 for a 2 to 3 hours. I still can't climb yet because I need to lose some fuggin' weight... :facepalm:

As Jimmy V says
|
|
V

Thanks to working days, I'm in much better shape now than I was a year ago. Hell, even better than just a month ago. My riding average speed is 20-22 for a 2 to 3 hours. I still can't climb yet because I need to lose some fuggin' weight... :facepalm:

As Jimmy V says
|
|
V

I think if you could do that around here you'd be passing everyone. My speed isn't anywhere near that fast but it's also pretty hard to avoid a fair bit of climbing in a 2-3hr ride. I imagine there might be some that come close to that but not solo

Reactions: Tig
I'm five weeks into my current fitness/diet program. I won't lie; there are a lot of times I feel like giving up, but I don't. If I fuck up and eat something I shouldn't, I just try to do better the next day. I'm trying to remind myself that this is a long-term goal and by skipping the gym today, it makes it easier for me to skip tomorrow. If I try to rationalize why I should skip a day, I immediately get off my ass and go work out. Right now the biggest challenge is making sure that I have food ready and on hand when I get home, otherwise I'm likely to order delivery or pickup something. That means on Sundays I have to budget about about two hrs to plan my meals for the week, cook up chicken breasts ahead of time, cook a big batch of quinoa, juice veggies for ice cubes, etc.

I'm currently down about 15 pounds. For me that's a drop in the bucket, but it's enough to motivate me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm five weeks into my current fitness/diet program. I won't lie; there are a lot of times I feel like giving up, but I don't. If I fuck up and eat something I shouldn't, I just try to do better the next day. I'm trying to remind myself that this is a long-term goal and by skipping the gym today, it makes it easier for me to skip tomorrow. If I try to rationalize why I should skip a day, I immediately get off my ass and go work out. Right now the biggest challenge is making sure that I have food ready and on hand when I get home, otherwise I'm likely to order delivery or pickup something. That means on Sundays I have to budget about about two hrs to plan my meals for the week, cook up chicken breasts ahead of time, cook a big batch of quinoa, juice veggies for ice cubes, etc.

I'm currently down about 15 pounds. For me that's a drop in the bucket, but it's enough to motivate me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:thu: Nice job, Andy! Keep up the good fight. I'm struggling a bit myself, but then I'm not discourage by a slip-up.

:clap: Kerouac! The GF and I just started a new health regimen for this month. Our jobs were dragging us under..so she has stopped drinking and will continue her 3 day a week workout sked (although I am guessing she will up it to five pretty quickly) and I will be riding every morning followed by light weights/hi reps/ and/or swimming. We eat pretty healthily now..but we can always improve.

Nice work Andy! Maybe try some Progenex Recovery shake after your workout to help with the post workout hunger thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Rev! When I was hitting the weights hard, no matter what I ate after wouldn't diminish my hunger (eating clean, mind you). So I tried a greasy burger after one workout and ..Voila... instant satiency, I figure it was a lack of dietary fat. I started eating ONE when I found myself back in the hunger game, so to speak. Any thoughts?

Hey Rev! When I was hitting the weights hard, no matter what I ate after wouldn't diminish my hunger (eating clean, mind you). So I tried a greasy burger after one workout and ..Voila... instant satiency, I figure it was a lack of dietary fat. I started eating ONE when I found myself back in the hunger game, so to speak. Any thoughts?

I learned from retired pro cyclist Andy Hampsten a long time ago that if you want to lose/burn fat, you can't be on a completely fat free diet. The body is more prone to keep existing fat in reserve. When we consume low levels of fat the body is more likely to burn it in addition to blood, liver, and muscle glycogen.

Eat fats, looks and lots of healthy fats. I put coconut oil in my coffee, eat avocados thought the day, and lean animal fats. Fat doesn't make you fat and it the longest lasting Marco nutrient source of energy. It not as quickly absorbed as carbs but it lasts much longer.

Hey all long time no step in.

Had a bit of a rubbish week last week (too much drinky drinky not enough movey movey) but I'm back on it this week and feeling good.

Got Tough Mudder again a week on Sunday and I'm planning on doing 2 laps - if I can sneak back into a 2nd starting wave and if my stupid wrist which I hurt in a crash back in April and is still tender holds out.

On the upside I'm currently working on a P90x 3 / T25 hybrid with a group on facebook and I'm seeing some great results. My upper body is looking very toned and I'm ever so slowly scraping away that pain in the arse layer of fat around the stomach. I turn 30 in November and I'm half thinking of challenging myself to get abs by then :shrug:

On a semi related note:

Have any of you ever had to say to a loved one that they maybe need to rethink their lifestyle and lose some weight?

I really need to have a chat to my brother and girlfriend.

My twin probably carries about 30 lbs on me, eats like total shit and aside from the odd football kick about with the kids in his work, he does no exercise. He's always complaining about sore feet and knees after DJing (fwiw something I never suffer from make of that what you will....) and as we both approach 30 I'm worried that if he doesn't make the change soon, he'll just pile more and more weight on and die way too early.

My girlfriend also needs to lose a good bit of weight. She has a sedentry job, does no exercise and although we generally eat reasonably well in the house, she has a major sweet tooth is always bringing bags of sweets and crisps and stuff home. Not that I'm an angel - I'll rip through a bag of those haribo she brings home in under a minute BUT I don't miss them if they're not in the house and can easilly walk past them in the shops.

Both of them need to do something. I've tried to get them to join me in my obstacle courses (a few years ago my gf did start getting fit at boot camp class and joined a group of us on a 10k assault course but the guy moved his gym and she never bothered finding another one) or do at least some of my workouts with me but they've got all the excuses to not do it.

Any suggestions or steps I could take?

On a semi related note:

Have any of you ever had to say to a loved one that they maybe need to rethink their lifestyle and lose some weight?

Step 1:
10940413.jpg

Good luck, we're all counting on you. :wink:

But seriously, stick with "healthy" and avoid mentioning weight. Talk about wanting them to be around for a long time and not be like those people who suffer at the end of their shortened life.

On a semi related note:

My twin probably carries about 30 lbs on me, eats like total shit and aside from the odd football kick about with the kids in his work, he does no exercise. He's always complaining about sore feet and knees after DJing (fwiw something I never suffer from make of that what you will....) and as we both approach 30 I'm worried that if he doesn't make the change soon, he'll just pile more and more weight on and die way too early.

My girlfriend also needs to lose a good bit of weight. She has a sedentry job, does no exercise and although we generally eat reasonably well in the house, she has a major sweet tooth is always bringing bags of sweets and crisps and stuff home. Not that I'm an angel - I'll rip through a bag of those haribo she brings home in under a minute BUT I don't miss them if they're not in the house and can easilly walk past them in the shops.

Both of them need to do something. I've tried to get them to join me in my obstacle courses (a few years ago my gf did start getting fit at boot camp class and joined a group of us on a 10k assault course but the guy moved his gym and she never bothered finding another one) or do at least some of my workouts with me but they've got all the excuses to not do it.

My brother is very overweight. I once got up to 250, but he's pushing 275. He complains to me about his inability to lose weight last week. He was eating a piece of cake with ice cream while saying this. The he says I wish I could get in shape like you. I tell him he can then he laughs and says too fat. While still eating the cake. I just walked away.

My brother is very overweight. I once got up to 250, but he's pushing 275. He complains to me about his inability to lose weight last week. He was eating a piece of cake with ice cream while saying this. The he says I wish I could get in shape like you. I tell him he can then he laughs and says too fat. While still eating the cake. I just walked away.

I know it's the old one: they won't do it until they're ready to do it, I know I certainly had a mini epiphany a couple of years ago when I decided I was sick of being a lazy fuck that didn't even like walking to the post office so wanted to get fit but anything I can do to help them get on track.

I've been trying to get him into P90x and the like for years - pretty sure if I can grow to love that sort of stuff he can but there's always excuses about not having time (I've offered him T25 and X3 that you can do, shower, change and eat within 45 minutes.....) and I've tried to get him into the OCRs I do which are amazing fun and the sense of achievement you get from doing one even if it's just a 10k is well worth the effort but his answer is inevitably: "Why the f*ck would I want to get up early on a Saturday morning to run around a muddy field climbing cargo nets?" He did come to cheer me on at one but that was because it was in Edinburgh so he could take a case of beer while he stood and watched and then he could go to the pub after it :facepalm:

Since his band folded he's started DJing. I've been building my business up over the past 2 or so ears and average out at a yearly average of a gig every 2 weeks which is absolutely fine for me and even at that, I'm still knackered after a gig and depending how involved and how much travelling there is, it can leave me run down for a couple of days and I'm fit - next week alone he's doing 3 mid week gigs in difficult access venues. The stress of doing that as well as his day job as well as being unfit really worries me.

The GF is a different kettle of fish. She's quite aware that her habits are bad, knows she can change them and is often saying she's going to join a gym or find another boot camp she can go to, it's just a motivation issue with her.

My brother in law is HUGE and probably beyond the point of any help which apart from the fact of killing himself slowly, it sucks that my nephew has a fat assed dad that can't play with him for any more than 2 minutes at a time before needing a rest or lie down (wtf the guy is in his early 30s) and will leave my sister an early widow. I don't want either my brother or GF to end up like that.

Back