MWGL Fit Club

Weighed in @ 149.4 2 weeks ago at the doctors office while being sick. I am probably back up to about 153 but I have started rowing again and will begin rock climbing again at the end of the week. Muscle definition is good but my damn asthma has me winded while trying to play basketball :mad:

i really need to get in better shape....loose some pounds and strengthen the muscles....i don't have room for weights in my condo and i'm not sure i would go to a gym if i signed up....but that might be the best solution....there is a place here called planet fitness (franchise) that is only 10 bucks/month....

I have been pretty good at keeping up the running all summer. My problem is finding time in the afternoon/evening. I'm still slower than molasses in winter though. I need to find a 5K race to run soon. I was running one this Saturday until the band got volunteered to play at noon at the county fair the same day (9:30 race start - not enough time to run, get home to change, and be at the fairgrounds by 11..).

In my 180s last time I checked (5' 6", a short guy yes). So long as I can stay below 200 I'm okay but I'd prefer to be around 160.
Doing biking but not as much as I want. Wife and I ride 16 miles last friday night but we've had thunderstorms or family stuff every day since..

Need to get working out some more and eating less.

I have lost about 6 pounds (175 at 6' 1"). Weight was not my issue, cardiovascular health is - along with a slightly elevated cholesterol level. I still probably eat too much fatty foods though. It's been over a year since my last blood check so I guess i need to do that again soon.

Jumping rope is a great way to get the lungs going and a lot of people don't realise quite how intense it can be.

I'd take 20 minutes of constant skipping over 40 minutes of jogging any day.

I thought this thread was "Fight Club"...

...oh, well.

I be 6'3" and currently about 240 lbs. I am usually hovering around the 230 mark.

About 3 years ago, I went through a period where I basically stopping eating anything that was fried or dairy'ed, and started working out on a stationary bike
and bands about 5 days a week for around 30 minutes total. I got down to 210, but that didn't last long...

Fast forward to this past January 18th. I stopped smoking that day. While I feel healthier, I had gained about 15 pounds, and
for me, 245 is the "alarm clock". So a couple of weeks ago, I bought a decent (non-department store) fitted bike, and have ridden almost every day.
My goal, more than watching my weight, is to build my endurance and see how far I can go.

Keep it up everyone! :thu:

After losing 30lbs in KSA, I've put a tiny bit back on pretty much through the beer but I'm still eating fairly healthy, trying to drink gin instead of beer :shrug: and doing a lot of cycling.

I've found the fact that there is junk like crisps, chocolate, ice cream etc... in my parents house makes keeping the weight off a lot more difficult.

In KSA I never had any junk food on hand and if I did want something, I'd walk to the story and buy a single mars bar or packet of crisps so I couldn't gorge myself. I really don't agree with the notion of depriving yourself, there's been some world class athletes who drank, ate and done drugs like their life depended on it so it can obviously be enjoyed whilst remaining somewhat healthy, you just don't want to be doing it all the time or going overboard.

I was out on the bike this morning and passed by my local. I thought "hmmm I could go a beer" but forced myself past it, had a nice pint of water, some OJ and a banana when I got in and now I'm sitting feeling happy with myself whereas if I'd gone into the pub I'd be thinking: over an hour on the bike and you ruined it in 20 minutes in the pub yolu dunce.

I'm 5'7", roughly 170lbs, and almost 46.

Other than toning up and losing my slight 'sitting at the computer' tummy bulge, I think I'm already at a decent weight.

I weighed 118lbs when I graduated from High School (at 5'6", gained an inch after) and weighed 130 when I went to Basic Training at 23 years old. After 6 weeks of Basic I weighed 145, so I put on 15 pounds of muscle, and I've never been that light since, nor will I probably ever get down to that again.

Any guys here do MMA?

I've been trying to hunt down a boxing gym in Doha but everywhere seems to focus on MMA training.

I could find a gym and just train for boxing eitherway but if I want to get back into sparring and competing and the brutality of cage fighting puts me off a bit.

I thought this thread was "Fight Club"...

...oh, well.

I be 6'3" and currently about 240 lbs. I am usually hovering around the 230 mark.

About 3 years ago, I went through a period where I basically stopping eating anything that was fried or dairy'ed, and started working out on a stationary bike
and bands about 5 days a week for around 30 minutes total. I got down to 210, but that didn't last long...

Fast forward to this past January 18th. I stopped smoking that day. While I feel healthier, I had gained about 15 pounds, and
for me, 245 is the "alarm clock". So a couple of weeks ago, I bought a decent (non-department store) fitted bike, and have ridden almost every day.
My goal, more than watching my weight, is to build my endurance and see how far I can go.

Keep it up everyone! :thu:

Careful, cycling can get addicting and the associated desire to buy more and better gear can be as bad as the fabled "GAS" we speak of in guitar forums. I started with a "decent" fitted road bike and ended up with a Serotta (equivalent to cork sniffer or snokledick bike). I did buy it used so I didnt have a great deal of money in it but it was a beauty. I did ride a handful of centuries (organized 100 mile rides) and would do 80 to 100 miles per week at pretty good pace so I did get a lot of value from it. I rode pretty solid for about 5 or 6 years but havent ridden much at all in the last year. I sold off my good racing bikes and bought a cyclocross bike (basically can be used on or off road) but havent used it much. As soon as I get clearance today from the cardio, I will definitely get back on the bike on the weekends. A good 30 mile ride early in the morning does wonders for the body and soul. Stick with it but use common sense and ride safe. What bike did you get by the way?

I've found the fact that there is junk like crisps, chocolate, ice cream etc... in my parents house makes keeping the weight off a lot more difficult.

proximity to junk food does that to me, too. Or even having a sandwich shop next door to the studio with skittles for sale. :facepalm:

I've actually tried juice fasting a bit this week to detox myself a little and it's really done some interesting things for me. I think after the first day my insulin evened out and now it's more an issue of controlling my habits than my rollercoastering blood sugar controlling me. I didn't "fast" completely...I made a smoothie in the morning out of soy milk, protein powder and fruit to start with. Throughout the day I drank fruit juices with no sugar added or those "Naked" juices that have veggies or fiber added in. I brought a water bottle to work and have been going through 3-4 full bottles of water each day, too. At night when I got home from work (which is usually 9:30 or 10:embarrassed:0pm) something small but healthy like vegetables and hummus. Each day I'd have half of an energy drink to keep from detoxing from caffine but still reducing the amount I was getting via coffee and diet coke...starting yesterday I feel better than I have in years. Even my hands and forearms are feeling better (I think from the huge amounts of water I've been drinking).

Today I'm starting to reintroduce solid food slowly , starting with a bowl of oatmeal :)

Just got back from the cardio. Mostly good news. Said no drugs at this point. Just manage things with diet and exercise. He mentioned the Mediterranean Diet. I havent read up on it yet but I think the idea is to eat your big meals and your carbs at breakfast and lunch and stay away from them at dinner. go with the veggies and salads with the meats at night. That might actually fit our lifestyle pretty well. Well, except for the late night ice cream.

Gonna look into it and give it a try. Either way, I am all in the fit club.

Careful, cycling can get addicting and the associated desire to buy more and better gear can be as bad as the fabled "GAS" we speak of in guitar forums. I started with a "decent" fitted road bike and ended up with a Serotta (equivalent to cork sniffer or snokledick bike). I did buy it used so I didnt have a great deal of money in it but it was a beauty. I did ride a handful of centuries (organized 100 mile rides) and would do 80 to 100 miles per week at pretty good pace so I did get a lot of value from it. I rode pretty solid for about 5 or 6 years but havent ridden much at all in the last year. I sold off my good racing bikes and bought a cyclocross bike (basically can be used on or off road) but havent used it much. As soon as I get clearance today from the cardio, I will definitely get back on the bike on the weekends. A good 30 mile ride early in the morning does wonders for the body and soul. Stick with it but use common sense and ride safe. What bike did you get by the way?

Addicting? I gave a friend my old commuter bike but still have my road racer (my favorite probably), my double squish mountain bike and my recumbent (that was a gift from a friend so it doesn't count!). Wife has a dual squish mountain (she doesn't ride it as much as she should) and a roadie. Parts of the house look like a bike shop with helmets and lights and
bikes and stuff.

Just got back from the cardio. Mostly good news. Said no drugs at this point. Just manage things with diet and exercise. He mentioned the Mediterranean Diet. I havent read up on it yet but I think the idea is to eat your big meals and your carbs at breakfast and lunch and stay away from them at dinner. go with the veggies and salads with the meats at night. That might actually fit our lifestyle pretty well. Well, except for the late night ice cream.

Gonna look into it and give it a try. Either way, I am all in the fit club.

Excellent! I might read up on the Mediterranean diet...

6'2 and some change. ~207 lbs. Would really like to get to 190. Got a bit of a gut that I'd like to lose. Gonna start biking the 1/2 mile to/from work in the next month or two.

* NOW gonna read up on the thread and see what you folks have already started doing to lose the weight :)

Swore I was going back to minimizing sugar this week but a gas station nearby carries clark bars (those peanut butter and candy bar things). They're like crack to me.

Addicting? I gave a friend my old commuter bike but still have my road racer (my favorite probably), my double squish mountain bike and my recumbent (that was a gift from a friend so it doesn't count!). Wife has a dual squish mountain (she doesn't ride it as much as she should) and a roadie. Parts of the house look like a bike shop with helmets and lights and
bikes and stuff.

My finances always kept me from going too crazy but I did end up with a Team Sierra Nevada Serotta Cda. That one was sweet for sure. I got rid of that and my low end mountain bike and bought a Gunnar cyclocross bike. I bought it used but the fit is great and it rides like a dream. I now shudder at the thought of a pair of 23's. :eek:

My daughter started playing competitive soccer and I got away from riding a little at a time. The guys I rode with were really fast so if I missed a weekend or too many Saturdays in a row, it would just get harder and harder to hang on. The pain is good when you are fit enough to keep up and occasionally dish out some. I think I got tired of sufferring so much every single time I went out. I couldnt find guys who wanted to do 30-35 miles at 22. Everyone wanted to hammer all the time. Over time I started oversleeping even on days I could ride and after a while, I just wasnt going out any more.

I bought the cyclocross bike so I could just go have fun and ride. I take it out in the woods and have even taken it on a local mountain bike trail. Wore my clips the first time. Wont do that again. I fell at least 3 times. Sometimes I grab a fishing pole and put some tackle in my camelbak and take off in the woods and ride and fish. The problem is, I havent even been doing that. My recent trip to the cardio has convinced me to get back out. I think I am finally starting to miss it enough but it will be rides out in the woods or a smooth 20-30 miles at 18-20mph.

This has been a horrible summer for me as far as running goes.

It's been too hot to even think about running in the evenings, and I just can't bear to do the treadmill.

I think I've run a grand total of about 20 miles in the past month.

Got a 15 mile race coming up on Sept. 4, so I really need to get some running in over the next couple of weeks. :facepalm:

Back