MWGL Fit Club

It sounds much worse than it is. They measure how well your heart pumps (ejection fraction) and if it less than their arbitrary number, you are considered in heart failure. They think mine has developed due to the chemo and radiation I had as a kid to beat cancer. The doctors think that I have actually been in failure since I was 16 or so (16 years ago, maybe longer). I have no symptoms, other than the results of an echocardiogram. They think since it has been declining very slowly for so long, that my body has just adjusted well. I have been on meds for 18 months, and get my next echo in Jan. My ejection fraction went up from 25% to 40% in about 6 months after starting the meds., so hopefully the percentage has remained the same or gotten better. a few weeks before the diagnosis, I was going on weekend bike rides with the kids for 10 miles and since then, we regularly go hiking and I have hit the treadmill a few times, I just get a little antsy when the heart rate climbs.

Wow! I didn't realize that it was just a measurement. I figured it would be more of an "event" that would stop yo in your tracks...

I need to get in on this. I've been overweight my whole life. I'm 5'7", not sure how much I weigh at this point as my wife broke my scale the day I left. I used to be a size 48 waist as of May 1st 2006. I think I'm down to about a 42 now, I'm not sure as I haven't bought new pants since and the ones I have make me look like Jared from Subway. I didn't eat much today as I was having some lady trouble which killed my appetite but that's been resolved so I actually had some real food. I know I could stand to lose about 60 or so pounds. I think I'm 240ish now. RIP scale :sad:

Wow! I didn't realize that it was just a measurement. I figured it would be more of an "event" that would stop yo in your tracks...

yeah, when the doc gave me the news, it sounded like a death sentence. I think I didn't hear a word he said for the next 5 minutes. Then he said if I respond to the meds, should live a long full life. So far, so good.

I just ran an 8 and a half mile hilly route on top of a 1.5" layer of slushy snow/ice at 30 degrees.

That's about the equivalent of 18 miles on a dry flat surface in the fall, I figure....:embarrassed:

1200 calories burned. Today, I eat for free, calorie wise....:embarrassed:

*resists obvious parroty*
My weight varies over the year, and right now I am the peak of laziness and fatness (203lbs). Shortly after Christmas, training for the cricket season starts, and I normally hit my 'fighting weight' (about 190lbs) around the beginning of May.

I went to the doctor's a few weeks ago, and weighed in at 181 pounds. That's the heaviest I've ever weighed, time to start working out again :embarrassed:

(I'm 5'7")

Missed this thread. I weigh a hair over 300 pounds and I'm 6' 3 inches tall. I am a 3 time Weight Watcher's drop out. The lightest I have been in 20 years was 250, when I worked out nearly every day. 10 years ago I was in the hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia. I lost 30 pounds. It came back, and more. I lost about 20 pounds about 5 years ago, when I was nearly divorced. Those pounds came back too. I am on 5 meds for hypertension and 2 for depression. I have severe sleep apnea. Last year I had Bell's Palsy. Not a stroke, but it looks like one! I am going through the process of preparing to have lap-band surgery. I want to be around for a few more years, and maybe feel a little better than I do now. I really enjoyed Kerouac's entry early in the thread, where he wrote about lifestyle change. Mine needs to be drastic.

Damn this shit is hard. :(

We've all been there Mark but try not to lose faith or give up.

Since my meals were made for me out in Saudi, my diet drasticaly improved compared to the West of Scotland one and I slowly mentally conditioned myself to really like good fresh food and go off "bad" food.

The smell of fast food kinda makes me want to throw up now and when I go out for a pub meal with my friends, whereas before the go to option would be a beer and a huge bruger with all sorts of junk piled on top, now when I look at the menu I think "that sounds disgusting" and salivate over more nutritious (and to be fair, better quality and better tasting, options)

And remember: when you really can't be bothered to work out, or you want to pig out etc... just remember that it's all worth it for the buzz you get when people start asking if you've lost weight.

Damn this shit is hard. :(

Diggin up some old threads today.

If it helpls, I will officially and enthusiastically join the fit club this time. I am exactly the same as wehn you started the thread but a trip to the cardiologist, even though the results were good, have me thinking that 45 isnt old and that I refuse to let myself go. Not that I have become a tub of blubber but my activity level sucks right now.

I had just bought a heavy bag right before I started seeing doctors and got a bad ekg and stress test back. I havent really started using it because I figured if I really did have a heart problem, no sense in pushing it. Not that I know my ticker is good, I am back to my original plan to work out with the bag. I put a jump rope out there and a mat so I could do some pushups and sit ups. I need to create something for dips and pull ups to complete the home gym but this is good for a start. The idea is that it is hard to find time to do 2+ hour bike rides any more but it is no problem to do a 30-45 minute workout on the bag. Plus it is fun. It is more like the HIIT (high intensity interval training). I was pretty excited about it before all of the medical drama so a soon as the doc says my femoral artery (where they put the catheter in) is ok for strenuous work, I will get after it.

As far as dieting is concerned, I am a fan of the concepts in the South Beach Diet. I dont know that I will follow the diet specifically but the idea of low glycemic index foods works for me.

Ironically, I havent weighed myself in forever but got on the scale this morning. The result - 227lbs.

Count me in. I was doing really well last year, and I was down to 198 lbs. I'm 5'11 and have a large frame, so this looked good on me. Heck, in high school my track team weigh in weight was 185, and I was very fit then, so 180-190 is about as low as I am going to get. I guess if I take into account that I was pretty muscular then, I probably should aim for the high 170s these days. Since the 198 days about six months ago, I have shot back up to 218-220, and it looks very bad on me. Big beer belly and such. I'm going to get back on track and work towards getting down into the 170-180's again. Time to take the laundry off the stationary bike and start eating better. :mad:

I went on the atkins a couple months ago. i dropped about 15 pounds really quick, now it has slowed a bit, but still going down. I cut out all the carbs, except one meal a week i reward myself by eating whatever i want. Gives me something to look forward to. :grin:

By this time last year I had lost 30 pounds. I posted my weight on the Wednesday Way In thread as I was losing it. We stopped doing that and I'm pretty much the 30 pounds heavier....

Im down 22 pounds now, to 188. Hooray for me. I feel a lot better.

Thats great!

I'm not sure where I'm at right now.We don't have a working scale in the house. My last weigh-in was 274 at the doctors a few months ago. This was me on Sunday:

chaparosa010.jpg

probably not too much lighter...I have recently started eating better, though. Just need to stick to it.

Back