MWGL Fit Club

Sounds like you're (whether deliberately or accidentally) doing HIIT. I tried that last week. It totally fucking killed me but I think it's definitely effective. Problem for me is you need a decent level of fitness to do it and I'm not quite there yet. But my aim is to get to a point where I can use HIIT as a regular technique. I never felt so exercised in my life as after one day of trying it but I could barely move for 2 days afterwards.

What's HIIT?

I'm doing Jeet Kune Do. They mix Kali and Penchat Silat because they flow. We do core training but the Muy Thai kills me the most.

I thought I was in decent shape before I started but it's a different kind of shape. I think it's better to simply begin than make excuses. You can always pace yourself.

What's HIIT?

I'm doing Jeet Kune Do. They mix Kali and Penchat Silat because they flow. We do core training but the Muy Thai kills me the most.

I thought I was in decent shape before I started but it's a different kind of shape. I think it's better to simply begin than make excuses. You can always pace yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

It's a concept more than anything. It's presented as a method for serious athletes but the real point seems to me to be about making sure you vary the intensity of exercise, no matter what the overall intensity is. It makes sense to me, and seems to work in my limited experience. Keeps your body guessing.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

It's a concept more than anything. It's presented as a method for serious athletes but the real point seems to me to be about making sure you vary the intensity of exercise, no matter what the overall intensity is. It makes sense to me, and seems to work in my limited experience. Keeps your body guessing.

Martial arts has turned me away from exercise for the sake of exercise. Having a functional application that allows you to knee someone in the face fifteen times in a row while sweating like a pig is the way to go.

I also don't miss being at a gym with a bunch of strangers and women who are too good to make eye contact with you. People see each other three times a week and it's too much trouble to be friendly.

Martial arts has turned me away from exercise for the sake of exercise. Having a functional application that allows you to knee someone in the face fifteen times in a row while sweating like a pig is the way to go.

I also don't miss being at a gym with a bunch of strangers and women who are too good to make eye contact with you. People see each other three times a week and it's too much trouble to be friendly.

there's buncha jiu-jitsu places near my house and i'm thinking about going to one once my income becomes a little more steady. i also don't want to walk in there a marshmallow. some kind of fitness is needed to get started. and though my weight is down, i'm still only in shape if you consider round a shape.

I thought the last time you went to the gym someone was a little too friendly :embarrassed:

Just came back from a 12.5 mile bike ride. Booya!!

Got in the elevator in my building and this cute little eastern european chick got in. We smiled at each other and then she said "My, you're very sweaty" :facepalm:

I survived the weekend without screwing up too much. We didn't eat out like we do on the weekends and I was able to eat healthier than normal. Tonight we ate at a Mexican restaraunt with family and I had shrimp fajitas instead of my usual 10lb burrito.

I'm thinking that I might not worry about weigh ins and shoot for waist sizes instead.. I'm currently wearing a 40" waist and my first goal will be fitting into a 38" pair of pants without looking like 10 lbs of sausage in a 5 lb skin :embarrassed:

Despite not exercising at all over the weekend I managed to lose a pound :shrug: Maybe the 'eat 5-6 times a day, drink green tea' regime is working :thu:

Despite not exercising at all over the weekend I managed to lose a pound :shrug: Maybe the 'eat 5-6 times a day, drink green tea' regime is working :thu:

Good stuff.
Yeah, I probably drink 3 litres of tea a day.
At the moment I'm on a lotus tea binge (bought a pound and a half of the stuff), works really well.
If you can find some, try pu-erh tea as well. I find it works better than green tea, although the taste takes a bit of getting used to.

If you can find some, try pu-erh tea as well. I find it works better than green tea, although the taste takes a bit of getting used to.

I'll keep an eye out for it :thu:

Just did a 14.9 mile ride. I'm going to ruin it later by going for pizza and beers in the pub :embarrassed: Though at least I have to walk 2 miles there and 2 miles back.

OK. Food for today will be banana, energy drink and yogurt (breakfast) and whatevery I can dig out of the fridge for lunch. Dinner will probably be chicken breast in Chihilidog Wing sauce and a veggie.

Need to find healthy snacks before I leave since dinner and lunch ar 10 hours apart today.

Just got back from a 30 minute walk with the dog and baby in the stroller, too.

OK. Food for today will be banana, energy drink and yogurt (breakfast) and whatevery I can dig out of the fridge for lunch. Dinner will probably be chicken breast in Chihilidog Wing sauce and a veggie.

Need to find healthy snacks before I leave since dinner and lunch ar 10 hours apart today.

Just got back from a 30 minute walk with the dog and baby in the stroller, too.
Good job, keep it going. You should get one of those heavy duty strollers. We have a guy who does races with us even out on the trails, with one of those things. he stays pretty in shape.

Good job, keep it going. You should get one of those heavy duty strollers. We have a guy who does races with us even out on the trails, with one of those things. he stays pretty in shape.

Thanks! :)

I have one in the garage, but my problem is that running with a dog on a leash and trying to control a jogging stroller wouldn't be very practical on the sidewalks around here.

My current goal is to fit into a pair of shorts I've had for a long time. The measurement from button to button hole with me wearing them is 5 inches as of this morning :facepalm:. I'd start the official measuring on Wednesday.

This is an attempt to not fixate on the scale, which is what I normally do.

So far this week I've been pretty good about not eating empty calories, and my portions are smaller. I'll have to do better but its a start.

My current goal is to fit into a pair of shorts I've had for a long time. The measurement from button to button hole with me wearing them is 5 inches as of this morning :facepalm:. I'd start the official measuring on Wednesday.

I am wearing these shorts as I type. Unbelievable. I've not really been dieting (ask Phil, he saw me eat half a Pizza and a plate of wings Friday night) but changing a few habits has made a big difference. I need to find a working scale....

Yeah, I'll join this cause. I'm not massively overweight, but I could stand to lose a bit. I went to my family's Christmas party a couple of weekends ago for the first time in about 5 years and 4 different people told me that I've gotten fat. Maybe it's just because I'm not the 5' 10" 120lb guy they all remember as anymore, maybe I am actually a bit overweight.

I spent my whole life (until I was about 26, anyway) never going above 150, and generally staying around 130. Last year (at 27), I went to the doctor for some lower back pain and when they weighed me the scale said 197! :( Now I'm back down to around 180ish, but I still feel like I should lose a little more, or at least tighten up what I've got.

Now I got a call from my doctor this morning, after having bloodwork done last week, they say that my triglycerides are elevated and I need to eat a low-fat diet for a while. I generally do eat pretty healthy, so it shouldn't be an issue, I'll just have to cut out the occasional fast food and potato chips, I guess.

I just want to be healthy so I'm here to annoy my kids for as long as possible.

I'll put up a photo tonight.

I am a lapsed lifetime member of Weight Watchers. Four years ago I took off 70 pounds and kept it off until I moved to Massachusetts. Strange work schedules kept me away from WW meetings and weigh-ins and this is the land of Dunkin Donuts. I would pass nine Dunkin Donut shops on my way to and from work each day. :facepalm:

I have just restarted Weight Watchers, plus my doctor discovered an underactive thyroid and is giving me medication for that. Between early October and last Friday, my first Weight Watchers meeting, I had lost 11 pounds. I am at 234 and want to get back to my goal weight of 190 pounds. I'm feeling pretty good about it at this point.

I'm currently 198 lbs at 12% (ish) bodyfat.

I know a bit about all this fat loss malarky so if you have any questions fire away.:thu:

My problem is that I know what to do but have issues with time. Scheduling exercise, stress eating and lack of sleep are all the major issues for me. Once apon a time I was a 5 day a week 225lb gym guy at around 10% body fat. Today I'm a fat slob falling apart at the seams.

I've been slowing trying to rework my lifestyle so that I'm not setting myself up for failure. My daughter sleeping through the night will be one of the biggest things, believe it or not.

Back