MWGL Fit Club

6', 270 lb's :helper:

As some of you know I lost my job a few weeks ago and the one major decision I made was to use the free time to sort out my physical well being. 15 years of sitting in an office, and coming home too tired to bother to exercise or cook properly has taken it's toll.

My aim is to get to the low 200's within a year. I've lost about 6 pounds in the last month or so. I've been experimenting with various things

• Cycling 1-2 hours, 3-4 times a week. I've noticed a huge improvement in my fitness. I can cycle much harder and longer than when I started. This has the dual effect of burning more calories each time and increasing muscle in the legs.
  • Eating freshly prepared food and less ready meals. I love a nice stir fry and am basically living of them. By using a single chicken breast and loads of veg it's filling, nutritious and delicious, whilst being low in calories.
I've been doing this for the last 6-8 weeks but have been disappointed at the rate of weight loss. Less than a pound a week. I think (hope!) this is partly a false figure as I think I've lost more fat than that but put some of it into muscle. But to try and increase the rate I've more recently been

• Drinking green tea. It's supposed to up the metabolism. Not sure if it having any effect
  • Making sure I eat 5-6 times a day. However only one of these is a proper meal. The rest are light snacks on nuts or fruit. I think this really makes a difference.
  • Drinking lots of water. Following tamoore's advice. Not sure how much difference it makes but everything helps.
  • Here's a weird one. Eating some soft cheese after my main meal. Cheese is the last thing you would think you should eat but apparently it naturally contains the same chemicals as a lot of prescribed dieting pills. Even though it's fat, it blocks the absorption of fat in the gut. This seems to work. It needs to be soft cheese and as organic as possible. And of course, only a small piece.
The main thing it trying to make sure there is at least a 500 calorie deficit every day, preferably more. It takes a lot of effort to pay attention to what I'm eating and burning but the way I look at it is that the behaviour will become ingrained, hopefully for the rest of my (longer) life. :thu:

Last edited:
I've been doing this for the last 6-8 weeks but have been disappointed at the rate of weight loss. Less than a pound a week. I think (hope!) this is partly a false figure as I think I've lost more fat than that but put some of it into muscle.:thu:

Even though its not as rewarding as losing a ton of weight fast what you are doing seems to be a more sustainable lifestyle.

Even though its not as rewarding as losing a ton of weight fast what you are doing seems to be a more sustainable lifestyle.

True. I'd just love to drop 20-30 pounds in a couple of months then settle into a nice steady pound a week decrease :)

True. I'd just love to drop 20-30 pounds in a couple of moths then settle into a nice steady pound a week decrease :)

I always feel that way, drop the 30 or so lbs and then screw it up because I just deprived myself of stuff I like instead of made healthy lifestyle choices. This time I'm trying to do it a bit more gradually and build some healthier habits that I can sustain.

i've been the half a pound a week guy for a while now. i seriously like this way much better than the yo-yo. there's no instant gratification, but i do see it over time.

I always feel that way, drop the 30 or so lbs and then screw it up because I just deprived myself of stuff I like instead of made healthy lifestyle choices. This time I'm trying to do it a bit more gradually and build some healthier habits that I can sustain.

It's definitely the best approach. We just need to keep the long term target in mind and not get down when we don't make short term gains. That happened to me on Monday. Despite exercising more last week than any time in the previous 15 years I only lost 1/3 pound. This got me down and I felt very demotivated when I went for a bike ride. But, I still lost weight in a week that I was out drinking and eating on the Monday, Friday and Saturday nights.

One of the toughest things for me is realising just how much it takes to shift a single pound. And with so many to go it seems a very long path :( But I need to remember that it took 15 years to put this weight on. It's not to going to shift overnight but it's not going to take another 15 years either.

I haven't weighed myself in forever. Probably somewhere between 155-160 and 6'1.

Been hitting the gym regularly though and riding my bike a lot.

No goals though, just stay healthy for my whole life.

Good to see you Mr. Steak. My weight has been creeping up too. I finally got all my bikes sold ..................... then bought a new one. It should be here tomorrow in fact.

Count me in. I am 6'0" and weigh 225lbs. I dont have a ton to loose but would like to get to about 205. My issue is that I have lost pretty much all of my fitness.

Hey Johnny. I needed to take some time off for reasons that you know about. Things are going much better. Time to concentrate on my body in addition to my mind...

I took a nice 3 mile walk before work this morning.

I'm genetically engineered to be a Chicago fire plug built fat ass who eats his body weight in pizza and sausages. Squat and wide with big forearms. I've been fighting my genes since getting into my 40's.

At a tad under 6'0 I'm doing well at 210 coming down from 236. If I was living in Chicago I'd be about 250. I like to use unrealistic standards to judge my body weight. If I was a top MMA fighter my body weight would be 176-180.

I take martial arts class four times a week and I sweat like a pig and feel like I want to throw up and die after every class. I'm the oldest guy in the building. It really helps keep the weight down. So much better than a gym.

Hey Johnny. I needed to take some time off for reasons that you know about. Things are going much better. Time to concentrate on my body in addition to my mind...

I took a nice 3 mile walk before work this morning.

We need to do lunch again in the near future....

I take martial arts class four times a week and I sweat like a pig and feel like I want to throw up and die after every class. I'm the oldest guy in the building. It really helps keep the weight down. So much better than a gym.

I'd love to get back into playing racquetball for that very same reason.

I'm genetically engineered to be a Chicago fire plug built fat ass who eats his body weight in pizza and sausages. Squat and wide with big forearms. I've been fighting my genes since getting into my 40's.

At a tad under 6'0 I'm doing well at 210 coming down from 236. If I was living in Chicago I'd be about 250. I like to use unrealistic standards to judge my body weight. If I was a top MMA fighter my body weight would be 176-180.

My 41 year old brother is in his second year of taking jujitsu. He pretty much feels the same way you do. I am way to scared to do stuff like that. My brothers injury list (including a plastic surgery) is impressive.

My 41 year old brother is in his second year of taking jujitsu. He pretty much feels the same way you do. I am way to scared to do stuff like that. My brothers injury list (including a plastic surgery) is impressive.

I had weak ankles and couldn't run anymore. Working with JKD footwork and Muy Thai kicks made my ankles swell up. I thought they were cankles but now I think it's just stronger tendons. My Muy Thai kicks are brutal now.

I actually had trouble from over training when I first started. I quit the gym so I could recover for my class.

I've also had the skin torn off my knuckles from punching and I have ligament pain in my knee from holding kicking pads, stretching too much and doing the JKD fight stance.

I have bruises and I've been hit in the face with bamboo sticks while learning Kali. Over all I'm more athletic but I've learned that when you train there's always going to be some pain involved. You're never going to be pain free like sitting in front of the TV with a pizza.

The ice pack is your friend.

I had weak ankles and couldn't run anymore. Working with JKD footwork and Muy Thai kicks made my ankles swell up. I thought they were cankles but now I think it's just stronger tendons. My Muy Thai kicks are brutal now.

I actually had trouble from over training when I first started. I quit the gym so I could recover for my class.

I've also had the skin torn off my knuckles from punching and I have ligament pain in my knee from holding kicking pads, stretching too much and doing the JKD fight stance.

I have bruises and I've been hit in the face with bamboo sticks while learning Kali. Over all I'm more athletic but I've learned that when you train there's always going to be some pain involved. You're never going to be pain free like sitting in front of the TV with a pizza.

The ice pack is your friend.

I certainly admire you guys.

Sounds like you're (whether deliberately or accidentally) doing HIIT. I tried that last week. It totally fucking killed me but I think it's definitely effective. Problem for me is you need a decent level of fitness to do it and I'm not quite there yet. But my aim is to get to a point where I can use HIIT as a regular technique. I never felt so exercised in my life as after one day of trying it but I could barely move for 2 days afterwards.

I'll join the cause.

After that motherpucker on GJ called me fat last week, I was just about to stop posting for good.

Monday, I picked my kids up from school and my daughter told me that some kids in her class were making fun of me because I was fat.

This battle has waged my entire life. I haven't weighed in lately. Last time I checked I was about 290 LBS, I'm 6'4". I'm probably a little north of that weight right now.

I don't over eat, I don't eat junk, I have a brutally slow metabolism and the Only way I can ever lose weight is by exercising my ass off.

So, I guess I'm going to start doing just that.

I won't do a daily "weigh" in, But I'll photo document my progress.

Let's DO THIS!

I'll join the cause.

After that motherpucker on GJ called me fat last week, I was just about to stop posting for good.

Monday, I picked my kids up from school and my daughter told me that some kids in her class were making fun of me because I was fat.

This battle has waged my entire life. I haven't weighed in lately. Last time I checked I was about 290 LBS, I'm 6'4". I'm probably a little north of that weight right now.

I don't over eat, I don't eat junk, I have a brutally slow metabolism and the Only way I can ever lose weight is by exercising my ass off.

So, I guess I'm going to start doing just that.

I won't do a daily "weigh" in, But I'll photo document my progress.

Let's DO THIS!
Rock it man! Don't let jerks get to you. We can't all be supermodel thin. You just make yourself healthy and happy, and let your little one see how happy you guys can be doing stuff together, and then quietly sneak up on the little punk that made fun of her and burn his hair off with acid.:thu:

Rock it man! Don't let jerks get to you. We can't all be supermodel thin. You just make yourself healthy and happy, and let your little one see how happy you guys can be doing stuff together, and then quietly sneak up on the little punk that made fun of her and burn his hair off with acid.:thu:

Thanks,

And just to be clear, the kids weren't making fun of her... they were making fun of me in front of her.

She's insanely petite.

KidsatBeach1.jpg

Back